Menu

Any suggestions for South American study?

lamolina

Hi- I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or may have done a more focused study on South America? We will be living there with our 3 kids (ages 5, 8, and 10 when we move) and I would love for them to learn about the continent (history, science, geography, etc.) while we are there. This will also be my first time to homeschool them.

We will hopefully be able to take them to see the Amazon/rainforest, Macchu Picchu, and not sure about what else, so it would be great for them to study these ahead of seeing them, but I am clueless about how to put together an age appropriate study like this. I would like it to be enjoyable and not too stressful on top of our move, but on the other hand they are bright kids and I would like some challenge.

Adding the fact that we will be there 2-3 years, and I would think this study should only take part of a year?

Any suggestions or thoughts?

thanks so much.

Edited by lamolina
addition

I'm all ears - we aren't moving, but I want to spend time on South America this year too. Your list for locations sounds great. I wanted to touch on some of the civilizations as well in South America's history. Somewhere, someone had a blog with a list of living books by country. I'll post if I find it.

We are doing MFW ECC this year, so I am pulling a bit from that but here are the ideas I have:

1. First start out with basic geography, ie Where is South America, Southern Hemispere, Oceans around it, learn the countries/capitals....of course this would be ongoing/weekly review type thing.

2. Then break it down to studying some of the largest countries, with a quick touch on the smaller countries. Focus on geography, ie mountains, or coastal etc. Focus on history, ie natives versus explorers/settlers, culture, celebrations, native animals etc. Perhaps a week on each country, but with an expanded study on the country you will live in.

*Older child can do a Country Summary, where they list out key information

Use online resources such as videos, movies, etc to really show the area.

Books, stories based in that area.

Crafts on that culture if your children would enjoy that (lots online!)

This is more great ideas! I hesitated to even post this question because it is so random and it seemed unlikely that many people have done a specific SA study, but your posts have been very helpful! I have started a list of these ideas...now to try to put together a study with the books we would need before we leave! (no access to a library at all...:crying:)