Menu

Should/Can I switch from iPhone to another smart phone?

I *love* my iPhone. But my contract is up next week and I can save anywhere from $25-$40/month if I switch to an Android smart phone with another carrier, depending on the phone and the carrier.

I use phone, texting, and basic web-surfing. I also *MUST* have maps/live traffic, and a calendar that I can sync with either my macbook or a PC, and music/audiobooks.

So, my question is - has anybody made the switch, and if so, how painful is it? I've read that iCal doesn't sync well with Android phones so I'd need a new calendar - google maybe? Also, how does sync-ing music/audiobooks work? I've never used anything but iTunes. It looks like I can sync w/iTunes but have to buy an Android app to do it.

Any advice/experience?

We made the switch from iPhones to Androids. I haven't put any of my music on the droid yet. But dh figured out how to make iCal work so that's fine.

Phone, texting and web are all pretty seemless transition wise. DH figured out ical, but that took about a week. Since then it's been fine. Something about a gmail account. Get one of those before you go if you decide to make the switch.

There are some buggy things, but I'm fine with it. DH has already said that when our contract is up in 20 months, we're switching back. It's too buggy for him but I can't really say what it is to him.

So, my question is - has anybody made the switch, and if so, how painful is it? I've read that iCal doesn't sync well with Android phones so I'd need a new calendar - google maybe?
Android phones should sync with iCal via Google Calendar. I used an app called Caloration, or something like that, but I stopped using iCal years ago. It looks like there's something else now:

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=99358

BGTW, there's a fantastic Android Google Calendar app called Touch Calendar.

Also, how does sync-ing music/audiobooks work? I've never used anything but iTunes. It looks like I can sync w/iTunes but have to buy an Android app to do it.

Any advice/experience?

I have no issues with DoubleTwist, but there are other apps out there too.

My sister switched from iPhone to Android and she desperately wants to go back to the iPhone. (her DH made the decision without consulting her) I have a Blackberry, but now that Verizon has the iPhone I'll be switching eventually. My Blackberry is okay, but it doesn't have the functionality of an iPhone.

DH has an Android and I have an iPhone. Personally, I find that the Android way of doing things bugs me. It just doesn't work quite as smoothly as the iPhone does, and the interface is different. I really prefer the iPhone. DH likes his Android, though.

Personally, I find that the Android way of doing things bugs me. It just doesn't work quite as smoothly as the iPhone does, and the interface is different. I really prefer the iPhone.

:iagree:

I switched from an iPhone to a Droid X, and I really regret it. The only thing about the Android OS that I like is Swype, but I could live without it. The camera is also better on the Droid, but that, too, isn't a compelling reason to stay with the phone. As soon as my contract is up (it will be a very long 13 months...), I'm going back to an iPhone. As the PP said, the Android phones just aren't as smooth (& I'll add user-friendly) as the iPhone. Also, the Android app market has so far been an incredible disappointment.

OTOH, my friend's dh loves how customizable his Droid phone is.

Edited by WorkInProgress
Just a wee correction

I have an HTC Inspire and I love it! I do not sync music to it, I do have a separate tOuch for that. I prefer the way my phone works. It has a bigger screen than the iPhone. I love the calendar. I have a Google account and use that calendar, I love that it automatically sync with my phone. My Phineas calendar IS my Google calendar! Now I just need to get dh on an android and set up my gmail account so we can use the same calendar!

Also, the Android app market has so far been an incredible disappointment.
What types of apps are you looking for?

If you haven't, I'd suggest checking out AppBrain. The Market itself has seen some tremendous improvements in functionality (and is about to see another major release), but I've found AppBrain to be invaluable thus far.

Edited by nmoira
typo

What types of apps are you looking for?

If you haven't, I'd suggest checking out AppBrain. The Market itself has seen some tremendous improvements in functionality (and it about to see another major release), but I've found AppBrain to be invaluable thus far.

The thing is, I still use my iPhone...just not as a phone. :) I still buy apps for it, and more recently, I also use my daughters' iPads (hoping to get my own soon!). All of my music is on iTunes, and I don't want to deal with converting, especially knowing that I won't be keeping the Droid for more than another year. I also drive a MacBook Pro, although the rest of the machines in our house are PCs/Windows machines.

For my Android, I have the critical apps - Cozi calendar, Starbucks, and Pandora. :001_smile: Most of the rest, I've deleted. (I was really disappointed in how Angry Birds was sluggish on the Droid X as compared to the iPhone. Maybe it's improved, but I probably won't download it again. I also deleted Words with Friends; it was just too unstable and I kept losing - as in, they would disappear - games. That was awhile ago, but just using my iPhone works well enough for me.)

However, I will certainly check out AppBrain - I am a bit of an app addict, so who knows what might happen. :D Thanks for the rec!

Well, after reading the different opinions, I am more conflicted than ever!

And to make the decision harder...I was going to go with Virgin Mobile's $25/mo plan. In the last week they raised it to $35/mo. :( Still way better than my current $65/mo which is AT&T's bare-bones messaging & minutes & data.