Menu

NW Florida beach vacation

We would like to vacation in NW Florida at the beach somewhere but I've never been there and looking at VRBO.com is so overwhelming. We want to stay on the beach or within walking distance but we don't want a busy beach(I grew up near St. Pete Beach and like it quiet). We don't want to stay somewhere with a golf course, restaurants, etc. We want to stay somewhere with mostly homes, fishing villages, and quiet beaches(did I mention we like quiet:001_smile:). We've never been in that area so I don't know where to search. I've heard Destin is nice but all I'm coming up with is resort style condos with golf, etc. Do you have a beach you'd recommend in that area that fits our description?

Thanks for you help!

We love St George Island. It is quiet and there are plenty of houses to rent for the week. I believe there is a golf course community with lots of vacation rentals on one end of the island, but we always stay on the other end. Also it is across the sound from Appalachicola, so you can go there for small town charm, grocery, and a few restaurants.

I second St. George Island. We went there last year for a couple of days with other families from our homeschool group. It was the best time I've ever had at the beach. My family likes to visit Mexico Beach as well. It has been fairly quiet when we've been there (just for the day). Have fun!

We went to this beach in Destin in 2009. http://www.floridastateparks.org/hendersonbeach/aboutthepark.cfm

It's a state park smack dab in the middle of all the resorts. But it was deserted almost except for families. Most of the party action was at other beaches. There are protected dunes as well.

It was great for us because we got the solitude of the beach for the day and plenty of activities to chose from in the evening.

Probably not quite the place you're looking for, but it seemed an oasis in the middle of the hustle of Destin.

We went to this beach in Destin in 2009. http://www.floridastateparks.org/hendersonbeach/aboutthepark.cfm

It's a state park smack dab in the middle of all the resorts. But it was deserted almost except for families. Most of the party action was at other beaches. There are protected dunes as well.

It was great for us because we got the solitude of the beach for the day and plenty of activities to chose from in the evening.

Probably not quite the place you're looking for, but it seemed an oasis in the middle of the hustle of Destin.

Looking at the link, it states you should make reservations early for spring and summer. Did you make reservations?

The panhandle beaches are where we plan to take a camping trip in September. Hopefully the crowds will be gone but the water will still be warm enough.

We were considering renting a cabin at one of the state parks.

Looking at the link, it states you should make reservations early for spring and summer. Did you make reservations?

The panhandle beaches are where we plan to take a camping trip in September. Hopefully the crowds will be gone but the water will still be warm enough.

We were considering renting a cabin at one of the state parks.

We actually stayed a hotel outside the park. We hadn't been to Destin before and really just discovered this beach while we were there. There was a Comfort Inn directly across from this beach that we reserved when we were supposed to go back in 2010. We had to cancel due to unemployment and an oil spill. We went mid July.

elegant lion: what were some of the activities your family did in the evenings? We've never been to this part of Florida.

BTW I'm highly distracted by your avatar. :D The boys went golfing one day, it was ds's first time to play a real round. We did a lot of shopping, there a great outlet mall there. The boys did a few more things than I did, which entirely slip my mind right now. I think they did mini-golf one night. We ate some good seafood. :D

My mind is such a blank right now, we were there less than a week. We stop at Elgin Air Force base museum on the way home, that was a highlight for ds, who provided us with commentary on every plane there.

Here's a link to some photos.

Thank You! Those photos do it for me. We have been back and forth on Florida or Texas. They say it is cleaner and clearer in Florida; TX beaches are closer.

However, ds19 may have a shot at being in a movie, an unpaid extra, so we may have to change our plans.:001_smile:

I love Florida.