Menu

home made ice cream???

I think there are easy recipes, but I make mine the hard way. I beat egg yolks with sugar, heat milk, slowly incorporate beaten eggs, heat again, add cream and vanilla, cool and freeze.

Since it only has 5 ingredients, I let the kids have it for breakfast.

We have a machine that's fast and easy. We also have one of those ice cream balls you shake/roll by hand. They both make delicious ice cream, and they don't take any more than cream, sugar, flavorings, and salt (at least, the ball needs lots of salt to freeze... I don't remember with the machine.)

BUT, dh has a tendency to just grab a package of ice cream on his way home b/c it actually comes out cheaper here when it's on sale, and there's no equipment to pull out or wash. :tongue_smilie:

In the U.S. we have an electric machine. You freeze the container, add the ingredients (there are quite a variety of recipes out there), and turn it on. The machine rotates the base and a paddle inside is rotated with it, constantly mixing. The stirring keeps the mixtures from freezing solid (like it would in a freezer) while the super cold container freezes it.

We couldn't bring it with us to India because it wouldn't work on the electricity here. I was hoping to buy one here but haven't had much luck finding one. I should have bought one that you hand crank before we moved. If you look on Amazon there are some that don't take electricity.

All you really need is something to get the mixture below freezing (below 32 degrees) and to make sure that the mixture gets moved around or stirred at the same time it is freezing so that it doesn't freeze into a solid block. If you google "coffee can ice cream maker" you'll find sites telling you how you can use two containers, one smaller than the other, ice, and salt (it doesn't have to be rock salt, table salt will work, but you need more than you think). I'm making something like this with a small metal container and a larger plastic one. It'll be kind of a pain to use, but the kids can roll it back and forth as an activity, lol.

I have a machine that doesn't need rock salt. It is by Cuisinart. I got it as a wedding present.

I can't say that homemade ice cream is cheap, but you do get a better product for the money you spend.

I make it and then store the extra in containers for later. I can also make sorbet or dairy free or whatever.

It is really nice when company comes over for dinner. I make a pie and some ice cream to go with it.

Since it only has 5 ingredients, I let the kids have it for breakfast.

The kids must love you!

I don't know if my trick can be used for ice cream, but I've used it for sherbet. I prepare the mixture, and throw it as is in the freezer. No machine, no stirring, no fuss. When we want to eat the sherbet, it's frozen solid. So I throw it into culinary robot to chop it up. I run the robot till there's no block of sherbet left, a few minutes. We get the smoothest sherbet ever !

As for us, we do this at home because we can guarantee it's peanut-free.

Ice cream is a lot more expensive in some areas of the world. That would be CHF9.90 for a pint, at CHF.85 to the dollar. (Yes, local brands are less, but they don't taste like real ice cream more like gelato.)

I use cream, milk and sugar, and salt in the ice. It's fun to make in baggies too, if the kids are looking for something to do. The ice cream ball is a lot of work for a tiny bit of ice cream. If you really want to have ice cream, like back home, you need the hand crank machine.

I make a double batch of homemade chocolate ice cream every Friday! I use 2 machines - my favorite is the larger one. You can find it at Bed Bath and Beyond a little cheaper with their coupons.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-...2036055&sr=1-4

BTW -My favorite ice cream recipe book is by David Lebovitz http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Scoop-...2036163&sr=1-2. His chocolate ice cream recipe alone is worth the price of the book!!!!

I have this one and have been happy with it. We always freeze the bowl overnight to get the best consistency.

I technically make "ice milk" because I just use whole milk rather than cream because it's so much cheaper. We've still been happy with its creaminess, though it definitely is different than store-bought.

My basic recipe is 4 cups of whole milk, 3/4 to 1 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1-2 tsp. flavoring and mix in whatever fruit, cookies, or nuts you want.