Menu

English from the Roots up...how do *you* use it?

I've had the book and the flashcards for years. I bring them out of storage at the beginning of the year (this year not being any different), look at it, get overwhelmed, and put it back. :blushing:

I'm sure I am making it harder than it is, but I just can't wrap my brain around how to use it effectively. So, how do you use it? How do you schedule it? How many words per week do you work on?

I've had the book and the flashcards for years. I bring them out of storage at the beginning of the year (this year not being any different), look at it, get overwhelmed, and put it back. :blushing:

I'm sure I am making it harder than it is, but I just can't wrap my brain around how to use it effectively. So, how do you use it? How do you schedule it? How many words per week do you work on?

:bigear: I do the exact same thing, so I'm all ears to what others have done!

Pam

We only use the book. I had mine make their own flashcards once a week, about 3-6 of them depending on ability. Then we added the cards to their daily memory work. When their stack of cards grew ginormous we halved it; one stack became even day practice, and the other odd day.

We've long since finished EFTRU, but we kept that card habit. When we run across a new Latin or Greek root in science or elsewhere, we make a card for it ala EFTRU style and add it to our memory boxes. Those card boxes are still used regularly. My oldest two couldn't fathom skipping their root boxes at memory time, and thoroughly reject any notion of dropping cards that have resided there for eons.

meant to do it, but never opened it!!! The year before what seemed to work, and what I PLAN to do this year, is work on it twice a week. One day they outline a notecard in green for Greek or red for Latin (Roman). They also write the definition on the back. The 2nd day they write down a couple root-combos. On one of the days, we also review all previous roots.

I hope to do one new root a week. I'm not in a huge hurry, just want them to have all 100 down pat by SAT's:) Gina

We only use the book. I had mine make their own flashcards once a week, about 3-6 of them depending on ability. Then we added the cards to their daily memory work. When their stack of cards grew ginormous we halved it; one stack became even day practice, and the other odd day.

:iagree:This is what we do. I also wrote out the Greek or Latin word on one index card and the definition on another. We use them to play go fish.

I asked this a while ago and didn't get any responses so I'm glad you started this!!

I've decided to use it during "circle time" in the morning. We sit together and cover a few fun and simple things (days of the week, our phone and address, a president of the week, etc...).

We'll see how it goes but I'd love to hear from others!

I downloaded a free worksheet at CreateBetterWriters.com which I'm thinking of using with EFRU. (Yes, I know I really need to learn how to insert a link -- sorry!) I know that I've stumbled upon some other ideas for this as well. Did you do a search on here? It seems like I've read some other good ideas as well. You could also try Google-ing it.

This is how we'll use it this year...

We are only going to do 2 roots per week. My girls are only in 4th grade and have never had Latin. I want them to really learn them.

Monday- Introduce the 2 roots and 3 vocabulary words for each word. Those will be their vocabulary words for the week. We'll make our cards, then they'll make a header in their vocab journal for each root and word (each on separate pages).

Throughout the week- They'll work on a picture and sentence for each vocabulary word. We'll talk about these daily as they finish up their pictures and sentences. We'll use them in sentences, etc.

If I remember correctly from my vocab training, kids need to practice a vocabulary word about six times, in different ways, in order for it to really stick.

Hope that helps. I plan on this being a meaty part of our LA program.

This is how we'll use it this year...

We are only going to do 2 roots per week. My girls are only in 4th grade and have never had Latin. I want them to really learn them.

Monday- Introduce the 2 roots and 3 vocabulary words for each word. Those will be their vocabulary words for the week. We'll make our cards, then they'll make a header in their vocab journal for each root and word (each on separate pages).

Throughout the week- They'll work on a picture and sentence for each vocabulary word. We'll talk about these daily as they finish up their pictures and sentences. We'll use them in sentences, etc.

I really like this idea! It seems rather doable. I have another friend who has her kids draw pics. It helps them "own" the word by coming up with an illustration.

I downloaded a free worksheet at CreateBetterWriters.com which I'm thinking of using with EFRU.

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Ack, killed your thread, so sorry!

No worries! I do it all the time! :tongue_smilie: I've gotten some good feedback.

We use them to play go fish.

Go Fish! My boys love playing games.

meant to do it, but never opened it!!! The year before what seemed to work, and what I PLAN to do this year, is work on it twice a week. One day they outline a notecard in green for Greek or red for Latin (Roman). They also write the definition on the back. The 2nd day they write down a couple root-combos. On one of the days, we also review all previous roots.

I hope to do one new root a week. I'm not in a huge hurry, just want them to have all 100 down pat by SAT's:) Gina

Yep...I'm thinking bout testing too even though mine have a bit of a ways to go before that. I *really* want to give them a strong foundation though.

We've long since finished EFTRU, but we kept that card habit. When we run across a new Latin or Greek root in science or elsewhere, we make a card for it ala EFTRU style and add it to our memory boxes. Those card boxes are still used regularly. My oldest two couldn't fathom skipping their root boxes at memory time, and thoroughly reject any notion of dropping cards that have resided there for eons.

Hmmm....memory card boxes. Now you've got me thinking...

:bigear: I do the exact same thing, so I'm all ears to what others have done!

Pam

Glad I am not alone! :001_smile:

Anyone else care to share their ideas? :001_smile: