Menu

Our music experience (brag alert)

I've posted quite a bit about dd's general lack of direction in studies. She's always liked everything, but no specific passions like a lot of kids seem to have. Last fall I posted that she had given her first harp recital, and even though she flubbed it somewhat, a harp professor called her teacher to encourage him to prep dd for a music major. At the time I was floored. She was always indifferent to the many years of piano I insisted upon, and had only been playing harp about a year and a half at that point. She liked it but wasn't making any huge effort.

That professor sure made a difference in her life! She decided she would try out for the senior orchestra at our local high school for next fall. Her teacher told her she wouldn't be ready. The conductor agreed to let her try out this summer rather than in February, because he needs a harpist. Then, in February, he called and insisted she try out. He listened to her for ten minutes and appeared to be blown away! She was in! Yesterday he called again and asked if she would consider playing NEXT THURSDAY with the orchestra for their senior recital, as two pieces need a harpist and whoever he had planned on fell through!!

Besides bragging, what I have to share is, boy, these kids sure can surprise us! She had asked to study harp for years, but I resisted because of her lack of dedication to piano and the expense of acquiring a harp. Sometimes the right instrument can really make a difference. And someone else offering mentoring. She seems to have discovered reserves I never knew she had. She's gone from the Bach Minuet in G to the Handel Harp Concerto in 8 months.

Isn't it interesting that you can try to make the best choice for years, then something serendipitous happens and transforms everything? I'm a little rueful, but also very very happy.

Danielle

can make all the difference in the world.

When I first started taking piano lessons, I had a couple of "so-so" teachers. Then, a wonderful piano teacher moved into our neighborhood (a graduate of Julliard!). She was fantastic---so patient, and there was just something about her that made me want to work hard! Believe me, I was never as accomplished as she was, but she was such an inspiration that I really wanted to do well to please her!

Glad you and your dd are enjoying success in this area!

Guest Katia

Danielle,

I have a harpist as well. She hated (and still hates) piano, but wanted to play the harp since she was 6yo.

I finally got her started on lessons when she was 14 1/2yo. and she simply 'took-off'. Because it was her instrument. She'd known it all along. I was the one that wasn't sure, lol.

Anyhow, dd's senior harp recital is this evening. She auditioned at 5 colleges and was accepted to them all, and wait-listed to the music conservatory at one. I was floored as well.

Congratulations to your harpist, from another harp-mom. :001_smile:

I've posted quite a bit about dd's general lack of direction in studies. She's always liked everything, but no specific passions like a lot of kids seem to have. Last fall I posted that she had given her first harp recital, and even though she flubbed it somewhat, a harp professor called her teacher to encourage him to prep dd for a music major. At the time I was floored. She was always indifferent to the many years of piano I insisted upon, and had only been playing harp about a year and a half at that point. She liked it but wasn't making any huge effort.

That professor sure made a difference in her life! She decided she would try out for the senior orchestra at our local high school for next fall. Her teacher told her she wouldn't be ready. The conductor agreed to let her try out this summer rather than in February, because he needs a harpist. Then, in February, he called and insisted she try out. He listened to her for ten minutes and appeared to be blown away! She was in! Yesterday he called again and asked if she would consider playing NEXT THURSDAY with the orchestra for their senior recital, as two pieces need a harpist and whoever he had planned on fell through!!

Besides bragging, what I have to share is, boy, these kids sure can surprise us! She had asked to study harp for years, but I resisted because of her lack of dedication to piano and the expense of acquiring a harp. Sometimes the right instrument can really make a difference. And someone else offering mentoring. She seems to have discovered reserves I never knew she had. She's gone from the Bach Minuet in G to the Handel Harp Concerto in 8 months.

Isn't it interesting that you can try to make the best choice for years, then something serendipitous happens and transforms everything? I'm a little rueful, but also very very happy.

Danielle

Danielle,

I have a harpist, too.:001_smile: Congrats on all of your dd's accomplishments. Totally awesome! Knowing the harp repertoire, I totally agree that from Bach Minuet to the Handel is a massive leap in ability.

Kudos and Bravo,

Holly

Danielle

How inspiring! Thank you for sharing. It is amazing how kids can surprise you. My dd's play piano and violin. They just recently started violin, which has been one hard instrument to tackle. We went yesterday to a violin shop to rent them custom made violins as the ones we had rented previously from another shop were factory made and a pain. While there, they had a chance to look at and listen to the cello being played--a $45,000 one at that. The music was truly moving. As well, they got to try sitting with and playing but on a less expensive one. Well, talk about love at first sight. And the woman said my dd 11 "looked like a cello player." Whatever that means--I think it's because she has very long arms and is lanky where she can reach around the instrument. Anyhow, they both were mesmerized by this instrument. I don't know what to do, though. I cannot imagine telling the violin teacher, with whom we started less than a year ago, the cello has blown them away or if it is even a wise thing to consider. Hmm, maybe this calls for another thread on the general board.

Best wishes to your daughter. How wonderful and exciting this must be for you both.

Anita

Thanks for sharing. That is wonderful!!! :-) Having dc excel in music is a blessing and a joy!

Our dd who is studying, performing and competing in piano and has been wanting to try the viola as a second instrument. We, too, are reluctant as we worry what will happen to her progression in piano. (Not to mention the $$!) Yet, she learns fast and she has perfect pitch, which maked learning a string instrument easier in terms of being in tune. She has always loved piano but wants to try another instrument. She is very much a music kid. In terms of a future in music, viola has much better opportunities. Hmmmm.....

It's true! One never knows! For instance, younger dd also started with piano but out of the blue said she wanted to learn violin. We stuck with piano for a year and a half then a musician commented that she looks like a violinist! That sparked the old flame and soon she was taking violin lessons! Turns out she is really loves it (much better than piano) and has a talent for it. :-)

can make all the difference in the world.

When I first started taking piano lessons, I had a couple of "so-so" teachers. Then, a wonderful piano teacher moved into our neighborhood (a graduate of Julliard!). She was fantastic---so patient, and there was just something about her that made me want to work hard! Believe me, I was never as accomplished as she was, but she was such an inspiration that I really wanted to do well to please her!

Except for the Julliard part, that's exactly what happened with my dd. She went through the motions and did fine, but once we got her new teacher at the beginning of this year, she went from practicing 30 minutes to practicing 1 hour, and she (dd) ASKED if it was OK if she practiced an hour! :D She just loves this teacher and has done sooo well this year!

• 1 month later...

My dd stopped playing piano when she started harp, and now she wishes she had kept up with both instruments. At college she is required to study both, and she'd have an easier time with the piano if she hadn't set it aside for so many years. Lux Et Veritas, if your dd wants to study piano along with harp, I'd say to let her do it!

Thanks so very much for sharing this story - I'm on the verge of tears after reading it. First, I'm just so thrilled for you and your daughter and secondly I can so relate to that awesome feeling that comes when our kids surprise us. This is the joy of being a parent - watching our children bloom right before our very eyes.

Bravo to that professor who encouraged her. That is just precious.

"Hmmm, maybe I should reconsider letting my daughter take up the Viola after all - reluctant for your same reasons. Great encouragement - thank you!!!"

I would urge you to allow your daughter to play the viola.

My daughter is a violin player and there is always a "shortage"

of good viola players. It is a beautiful instrument!

Laurie In CA

Congratulations to your daughter. She will really enjoy being

a part of the orchestra at school. My daughter has been playing

violin for 6 years and played at the Junior High for the past 2

years. It has been one of the most positive experiences she

has had. The students are very well-behaved for the most

part and have completely accepted my homeschooled daughter.

We are looking forward to the high school orchestra this fall

and grateful for the experience. By the way, the only harp

player in our area will only be in eighth grade next year and

there are none in high school. We live in a town with a

population of 100,000. Harpists are rare!

Laurie in CA