Menu

cc Current events from a Biblical perspective

I just thought I'd share because I enjoy watching it. It's World News Briefing with Pastor Chuck Smith and Don Stewart from Calvary Chapel (a non-denominational church). It's live every Thurs. night at 6pm Pacific Time or you can watch it on demand. It's on His Channel (completely free). They take current headlines and explain them from a Biblical perspective. I hope you get as much out of it as I do ;).

http://www.hischannel.com/BackQ/1050/1050Gallery/.php

Calvary Chapel is a denomination ;)

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. It has a name, and there are lots of them, and they're tied together. I couldn't figure out the definition of "non-denominational" in this context.

I do like the study of end time prophecy and have read many authors but this guy does it with the mindset of being to "predict" and that is not biblical

He did this in early 1980's told his followers to sell everything etc and has made other prediction dates for Jesus return

there are creditable end time theologists but this guy is not one of them IMO

Calvary Chapel is a denomination ;). And he has been predicting the end of the world since like 1981... not sure how much stock I put into his interpretations.

Who exactly are you refering to when you say he? I have attended a Calvary chapel affiliated church my entire life, and no one has ever predicted the end of the world or told anyone to sell their belongings. My pastors does believe that we are living in the end times(when the end actually is remains to be seen), but is totally against anyone predicting a specific, year, day hour, etc.

Calvary Chapel is a denomination ;). And he has been predicting the end of the world since like 1981... not sure how much stock I put into his interpretations.

This thread was not intended to invite people's views (however misinformed) of Calvary Chapel ;). It was, however, intended to share something I thought was useful with others who also might think it useful. Please, no "pot stirring.":)

I do like the study of end time prophecy and have read many authors but this guy does it with the mindset of being to "predict" and that is not biblical

He did this in early 1980's told his followers to sell everything etc and has made other prediction dates for Jesus return

there are creditable end time theologists but this guy is not one of them IMO

I believe you may have the wrong person in mind. Chuck Smith has never given any dates and clearly teaches that no man can know when our Lord will return. He does teach that we can know what things will be like here on earth before the Lord's return:

Matthew 24: 36-37

But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noah [were], so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

He also teaches that we are to be ready for his return

Matthew 24: 38-51

For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two [women shall be] grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? Blessed [is] that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods. But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; And shall begin to smite [his] fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken; The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for [him], and in an hour that he is not aware of, and shall cut him asunder, and appoint [him] his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

As for his teachings on worldly belongings, I'm sure he never told people to go out and sell their belongings. He does teach, however, that we are not to hold too tightly to our "things."

Mark 10:20-25

"Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy." Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth. Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!" The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Who exactly are you refering to when you say he? I have attended a Calvary chapel affiliated church my entire life, and no one has ever predicted the end of the world or told anyone to sell their belongings. My pastors does believe that we are living in the end times(when the end actually is remains to be seen), but is totally against anyone predicting a specific, year, day hour, etc.

I believe they must be thinking of the wrong person. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. It has a name, and there are lots of them, and they're tied together. I couldn't figure out the definition of "non-denominational" in this context.

If a "non-denominational" church gets big and starts another church and that grows, so they spin off another church, etc, they are still non-denominational.

I love Calvary Chapels, btw. I love how many go through the Bible verse by verse instead of random sermons.

:confused:

How do you define a denomination?

"A Christian denomination is an identifiable religious body under a common name, structure, and doctrine within Christianity. In the Orthodox tradition, Churches are divided often along ethnic and linguistic lines, into separate churches and traditions. Technically, divisions between one group and another are defined by doctrine and church authority. Issues such as the nature of Jesus, the authority of apostolic succession, and papal primacy separate one denomination from another."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_denomination

Calvary Chapel doesn't differ in issues such as the nature of Jesus, apostolic succession, papal primacy or any other thing from other churches along the basic evangelical christian line. Really. They're all spin-offs of a single church that taught and still teaches the same things as any other church of it's type. There is nothing variant between their teachings and standard evangelical Christianity.

They appeal to lots of people for various reasons but they teach the same thing as everyone else is my point. Their popular success doesn't suddenly make them a different denomination.

Who exactly are you refering to when you say he?

Chuck Smith. My cousins attended his church in the 70s, I went to a couple services there. The man struck me as having a tenuous hold on reality (at best), and he began to (wrongly) predict the end of the world. They eventually found another church.

He is about the last person on earth I would turn to for news analysis.

Bill

"A Christian denomination is an identifiable religious body under a common name, structure, and doctrine within Christianity. In the Orthodox tradition, Churches are divided often along ethnic and linguistic lines, into separate churches and traditions. Technically, divisions between one group and another are defined by doctrine and church authority. Issues such as the nature of Jesus, the authority of apostolic succession, and papal primacy separate one denomination from another."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_denomination

Calvary Chapel doesn't differ in issues such as the nature of Jesus, apostolic succession, papal primacy or any other thing from other churches along the basic evangelical christian line. Really. They're all spin-offs of a single church that taught and still teaches the same things as any other church of it's type. There is nothing variant between their teachings and standard evangelical Christianity.

They appeal to lots of people for various reasons but they teach the same thing as everyone else is my point. Their popular success doesn't suddenly make them a different denomination.

I like the definition Wikipedia gives for a Religious Denomination: A religious denomination is a subgroup within a religion that operates under a common name, tradition, and identity.

By that definition, I think Calvary Chapel fits.

Yes, Chuck Smith predicted the end of the world at least once, back in the 80s. THAT Chuck Smith. I'm fixing dinner and don't have time to link, but it's easy enough to find info on the internet. If this is something you have not heard before, you might initially find it quite disturbing.

Calvary Chapels consider themselves "affiliated" with each other, rather than denominational. Each church has its own leadership (the pastor), independent of any other CC. Church finances remain within each individual church.

I've been part of three different Calvary Chapels. We are driving an hour each way to attend one a few times a month.

Yes, Chuck Smith predicted the end of the world at least once, back in the 80s. THAT Chuck Smith. I'm fixing dinner and don't have time to link, but it's easy enough to find info on the internet. If this is something you have not heard before, you might initially find it quite disturbing.

Calvary Chapels consider themselves "affiliated" with each other, rather than denominational. Each church has its own leadership (the pastor), independent of any other CC. Church finances remain within each individual church.

I've been part of three different Calvary Chapels. We are driving an hour each way to attend one a few times a month.

I actually called and spoke w/one of the staff members from Pastor's Perspective (his radio show) and found out that he did indeed predict the end back in the 80s. He was in error (as we all are at times) and he has admitted as much. He no longer teaches that one can predict dates as to when the end will be. I believe it was a lesson well learned. I still enjoy his teachings.

I actually called and spoke w/one of the staff members from Pastor's Perspective (his radio show) and found out that he did indeed predict the end back in the 80s. He was in error (as we all are at times) and he has admitted as much. He no longer teaches that one can predict dates as to when the end will be. I believe it was a lesson well learned. I still enjoy his teachings.

It is kind of a big oops.

I would exercise serious caution in allowing someone who was this wrong to interpret world events through his lens.

Bill

Wasn't trying to stir the pot, sorry!

I like Calvary Chapels, we went to a couple when we first moved here. I love the verse -by-verse preaching. I disagree with some of the theology though.

No problem :001_smile:.

Wasn't trying to stir the pot, sorry!

I like Calvary Chapels, we went to a couple when we first moved here. I love the verse -by-verse preaching. I disagree with some of the theology though.

You're not pot stirring. You've put a truth out here that many CCers probably don't know.

Not that I'm trying to stir the pot.

It's another more reminder that one should always be on guard and REALLY know what is being taught, not just believe it because a pastor says so.

(And I want to point out again that I'm part of a CC fellowship, there's no place else I'd rather be.)