Menu

My reluctant reading 12 yos keeps disappearing.....

I know how you feel! My 10 yo DS (all of my boys actually) hates to read. I couldn't even pay him to read, lol. But, I gave him The Lightning Thief and he told me the other day that his teacher had to tell him to stop reading. He finished the book and won't stop talking about it. When I picked him up from school on Thursday (we will be new homeschoolers in the fall) the first words out of his mouth were, "Mom will you buy me the next book in the series." I was shocked. I found him another book I think he'll enjoy to read in the meantime.

Isn't it exciting when they find something that sparks their interest!

Our DS will only willingly read sailing biographies. But so far every assigned history book I've given him has been a hit, which has been a lovely surprise.

I hope this book gives your DS a passion for reading more widely :)

That's awesome!!

I remember when my brother finally "got" reading and he was 12 yo at the time. It just took the right book. He's a voracious reader now (at age 35).

Just curious if he's more of an auditory learner? Trying to figure out if DS7, who loves hearing books, will ever love reading them to himself! LOL

We are reading The Lightning Theif outloud before bed. My son couldn't wait and read the rest of the book and series and we're only half way through.:hurray:

He started as a reluctant reader. Once the switch was turned on now we can't turn it off.:D