Menu

Teaching Textbooks and the SAT

Trying to decide what to use for my 10th grader this fall for algebra II. This student is more art/English oriented, has more difficulty with math, and is not anticipating a career related to math at all. Last year we used Chalkdust algebra I and he did okay with it. I was planning to buy Chalkdust algebra II this fall, but a friend offered to lend me TT algebra II instead, and based on what I've heard I think he might do a little better with that than with Chalkdust. However, a primary consideration for us is being prepared for the SAT. I've heard TT is considered a little light, but is it sufficient to prepare a student for the SAT? I expect ds to take geometry in 11th grade, and then I'm not sure what he'll do after that, if he takes any math. Also, would algebra 1, 2, then geometry be a good way to progress for the SAT? Any thoughts?

I think from what I have been told that it should prepareyour son well for the SAT as long as he works hard at it and preps for the test, he should be fine. My friend is going to be using TT and is preparing for the ACT, I am using Lial's though so I can't really comment on anything except for algebra 1 (which I used).

So TT should be alright, no it's not the best math program, but there shouldn't be any problem using it for your son.

I hope all goes well!:)

TT Algebra II may be largely a repeat of stuff already covered in Chalkdust Algebra I, and it could end up being a wasted year. My daughter did TT Algebra I in 7th grade and she started TT Algebra II at the end of the year. She blew threw 6 chapter tests without encountering any new information. I ended up ditching TT Alg. II for Chalkdust Alg. II, and there was no comparison in terms of the scope and depth of material covered. TT Alg. II is the TT course most widely criticized as being behind in scope & sequence because a lot of the information covered in TT Alg. II is typically covered in the more rigorous Alg. I courses (e.g., Chalkdust Alg. I), and the meaty Alg II work is covered in TT PreCalculus. I would suspect that it might make more sense to go directly into TT Precalulus after completely Chalkdust Alg. I.

BTW...I am not typically a TT basher. We even went back to them for Geometry after completing Chalkdust Alg. II before moving on to Chalkdust PreCalc.

Amended to note..I just realized you haven't done geometry. It might make sense to use TT geometry for 10th since there is a lot of geometry on the PSAT/SAT and then move directly to TT PreCalc in 11th.

Edited by nancy in nj

Didn't TT revise the Algebra I textbook and Algebra II textbooks? I hear Geometry is soon to be revised as a 2nd Edition to address those SAT/ACT questions. :confused:

They have out new editions with a self-grading feature for the algebra, but I'm pretty sure I read here that the material covered didn't change, even though they changed their table of contents.

My boys did TT and, while not the SAT, they scored 97th and 99th percentiles respectively on the ACT Math portion. They both went directly into Calculus after Pre-Calc and had no issues whatsoever. They also both scored super high on their college entrance exam for math (before taking Calc since they did some cc courses while still homeschooling).

However, yes, TT is slower than Chalkdust and covers things in a different order. To me, this is one of it's best points as it allows the concepts to be solidified in the brain instead of just trying to cram more info in.

If your son only "did ok" with Alg 1, it could be worth it to switch back to TT even if it covers things he already did (and yes, a bit of it will be repeated). It's very important that the Alg concepts be solid.

Plus, I'm going to agree with the pp who suggested hitting Geometry first as that really is on the PSAT - the test one generally takes junior year in the fall (Oct).

Then I'd pick up TT (or whatever book you want) Alg 2 junior year and Pre-Calc senior year.

Sign up for the SAT Question of the Day if you haven't already. It's good, quick, free review for all three sections of the SAT (and also useful for those of us who prefer the ACT). Find it at collegeboard.com. We subscribe (still free) so it is sent to each boy's e-mail address. It keeps them there in case they miss a day or two. ;)

I agree that the rigor of Chalkdust exceeds TT, but what I am coming to realize is that it's ok for my son (also lit and history oriented) to use less rigorous math programs. He has no desire to do anything in life that requires math-meaning career-and the rigorous programs that we have tried just confused him and ended up being wasted years. Something more simply explained and on level would have helped him get farther and understand math better.

I agree that the rigor of Chalkdust exceeds TT, but what I am coming to realize is that it's ok for my son (also lit and history oriented) to use less rigorous math programs. He has no desire to do anything in life that requires math-meaning career-and the rigorous programs that we have tried just confused him and ended up being wasted years. Something more simply explained and on level would have helped him get farther and understand math better.

Well said!!!

Very well explained! Just because you are not math oriented doesn't mean you or your child aren't smart, it's just people's brains are wired differently for different things. I by no means like math, but I am not going to give up on it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!;)

They have out new editions with a self-grading feature for the algebra, but I'm pretty sure I read here that the material covered didn't change, even though they changed their table of contents.

Just wanted to add my two cents here. My dd is going to be doing TT Pre-Algebra this coming year and I asked TT about any changes in the "new" automated grading version (which I think is 2.0) vs. the "old" version 1.0. They said that they had made some changes, so you might want to check with TT directly to see if there have been or will be changes forthcoming in their upper level Math programs.

By the way, my dd is very artistic and has struggled much with Math until we began TT7 this past year. It takes her a long time to do her Math but she is getting the concepts and getting them right. So I am very pleased.

Something more simply explained and on level would have helped him get farther and understand math better.

I've found this to be true with many, many kids (though obviously, not all with TT).

Also, I need to correct my post above. I was in a hurry this morning and wrote that both my boys moved on to Calc with no problem. Only my oldest has done Calc so far. He had no problem. Middle son will be taking Calc this coming year. He had no problem placing into it level-wise at our local cc with their placement test, but he'll be actually doing it at home using Thinkwell.

He did Stats last year. ;)

These are the changes they made to the program according to the website:

1. Automated grading

2. A digital gradebook that can manage multiple student accounts and be easily

edited by a parent

3. Over a dozen more lessons and hundreds of new problems and solutions

4. Interactive lectures

5. Hints and second chance options for many problems

6. Animated buddies to cheer the student on

7. Reference numbers for each problem so students and parents can see where a problem was first introduced

I wish they had made the changes a year earlier but glad they are available for my younger two.

These are the changes they made to the program according to the website:

1. Automated grading

2. A digital gradebook that can manage multiple student accounts and be easily

edited by a parent

3. Over a dozen more lessons and hundreds of new problems and solutions

4. Interactive lectures

5. Hints and second chance options for many problems

6. Animated buddies to cheer the student on

7. Reference numbers for each problem so students and parents can see where a problem was first introduced

I wish they had made the changes a year earlier but glad they are available for my younger two.

The new edition of Algebra 2 with these features won't be out until next summer, I think. Pre-Algebra and Algebra were supposed to be ready by this month.

I used Saxon with the eldest and TT Alg1/2/Geometry with the next two, and all three had almost identical placement scores into cc precalculus, and did similarly well in their precalculus classes when at cc.

Not one of those three are hugely math-y.

I used Saxon with the eldest and TT Alg1/2/Geometry with the next two, and all three had almost identical placement scores into cc precalculus, and did similarly well in their precalculus classes when at cc.

Not one of those three are hugely math-y.

:iagree: A veteran mom who went from Saxon to TT calmed my anxieties about TT. Her advice was spot on that if the math program motivates your children, they understand it, and work at it, it is the right one for them! Also, she noted in regards to SAT testing, if they complete Algebra 1 and Geometry, and majority of Alg II, prior to SAT testing, that alone will help with their confidence on the test. With the PSAT, just completing Alg 1 & Geometry is really necessary. I am planning on Chalkdust Geometry for my 9th grader and TT for the 6th and 7th grader. They are all like night and day when it comes to math (and I need all the help I can get as well)! :tongue_smilie:Now I am just scouring the board for used math curriculum!

This link from the princetonreview, regarding what will be covered on the SAT Math portion, helped to keep me on track: http://www.princetonreview.com/college/sat-math-section.aspx

Actually, reading all these messages helped me to be okay with TT for my younger two! Thank you everyone for your great advice (and great questions).