Menu

Which spelling program (dyslexic)

AAS teaches with rules.

SS with patterns.

But, based on your memory thread, Spelling Plus might be a better fit, it is a combination of rule and pattern and focuses on the most frequent 1,000 words so you're working on the words that really matter. You want to get both Spelling Plus and its companion book, Spelling Dictation.

From the description of the book at RR:

Research shows that 90% of English text consists of just 1000 words. This book focuses on teaching the most commonly used and misspelled words and ensuring that students of all ability levels receive intense instruction on core words. The book is divided into four main parts; Incredible English, Spelling and Teaching, Recommended Teaching Techniques, and Spelling Lists.

Which spelling program worked best for your dyslexic child?

AAS or Sequential Spelling?

My son bombed out on Sequential Spelling terribly. AAS would have been a good fit when he was younger.

What did work best for drill- and can work for drill, no matter what instructional program you use- is an online software called Wizardsspell. My son started it at the beginning of 9th grade, with 2nd grade level words. After 22 months he is in the middle of the 4th grade words. That is such huge progress for him as he was making literally no progress with any other method. He had made a year's progress already in the first year, using the grade level word lists provided. He has been tutoring for reading & spelling for the last year & has made at least 1.5 years progress in this past year.

There are many word lists to choose from at the website or you can set up your own word lists to drill the words in whatever curriculum you are using. My son has some of the same short-term memory issues that you describe- great at understanding concepts when I present them (though he did have diffiiculty w/certain aspects of phonemic awareness/phonics), generally good problem solver, but terrible short term memory. That really impacted his learning to spell. But he's also dysgraphic, so having him drill by writing the words umpteen times was not a good fit. Verbal repetition didn't help any, either. Finally, drill using the keyboard is helping things to stick. I think two things are at play: 1) the keyboard bypasses all of his main weaknesses 2) computer feedback bypasses the emotional impact of Mom telling him to try again because his first efforts were incorrect.

This may or may not be helpful right now, but keep it in your back pocket for later, in case. Wizardsspell drill has change our life!