Menu

If you have used Nancy Larson Science 1 with a 7 and 9 yr old....

parias1126

Can you tell me if it was too easy? Did you have to add a lot to beef it up? I am debating going with Science 2, but I have been told to start with Science 1 not to miss anything. My children are also obsessed with Physics and Birds so Science 2 might be a better fit, although we could just do it next year after we have completed Science 1.

What would you do?

I was all set to go with Noeo until I pulled up some not so great reviews here on WTM. :confused:

Also, will NL fit into a 4 day work week?

I have not used it, but we looked at it at a convention. We decided that Level one was too easy for our almost 7 year old. This is because she covered the topics in NL Level one in Public school Kindergarten last year. The people at NL are very helpful if you email them they can help place them in a level.

There are people who love and hate every curriculum out there-- I am curious-- were the reviews of NOEO that put you off specific enough to make it a really bad match for your specific kids? There are also a lot of really great reviews of NOEO on these boards, too (including ours-- my 7 and 10 love it, and other PS kids in the neighborhood ask us to schedule science when they are done with school so they can join us!)

We have been trying NL 1 with my 7YO and it's so easy he can hardly stop giggling. He keeps asking if I accidentally ordered the baby science program, and my 10YO can't even stay in the room.

I will say, it is highly organized. It is very sensible. It provides everything in a box. You do need to be able to deal with a scripted every-word-written-out-for-you-no-independence-for-your-kids program. If you are uncertain when it comes to science, NL is it. Handholding at every step.

NOEO is also very organized and well-planned, and most if the extras you need are found in your kitchen (baking soda, vinegar, food coloring, coke). It has grade-level living books, and you customize the amount of writing or drawing to require. The child can do it all with you or do some independently. You can do writing or narrations. The experiments are fun, easy, organized, and to the point and well-explained and fit the lessons.

For pictures, see my blog, link below!

Have fun whether you pick NL or NOEO-- science is a blast!

Jen

s

I used NL1 with a 7 and an almost 5 year old. It was perfect for the younger, but WAY too easy for the older. The amount of material I had to add to it completely ruined the open-and-go aspect that drew me to it.

I thought that too....at first....but then as we went further into it...the vocabulary and the concepts that were introduced were new enough and interesting enough to keep my older kids involed. We are doing NL 2 this year...I am sure the same will be true...I am just supplementing with extra reading.

I bought the second level at the convention to use this fall w/my dds 11 and 7. They said it was fine to skip the first level and combine the two of them in the second level. If necessary, I'll supplement w/my dd11.

I'm excited b/c I don't have to go out and buy any supplies.

Laura

Hey there-I did a long review of NL on my blog (click below). I wouldn't recommend NL 1 for a 9 year old, or a 7 yo for that matter--it will be way too easy.

I would start with 2.

Thank you for this review and the pictures. I am going to be using NL 1 this year. My dd will be turning 8 a month after we start. I'm a little concerned reading this thread that she'll be too old for it. But, she hasn't had much science so far and the topics are all things that she is very interested in learning. She is still a beginner reader and writer......soooo...I'm really hoping that it will be a good fit, even though she is older.

Is there going to be a NL 4...does anyone know??

Also....when you all go to her website....does it all fit on your screen? It's like the website is too big for my computer screen (and my screen is not tiny). Like...if you go to the home page and at the top it says Nancy Larson SCIENCE (next to a moth). Well, I get SCIE. The rest is all cut off. So, I can't read everything (imagine a line running directly down from in front of the N...I can't read anything on the right side of the imaginary line). There's no bar to move the page over. Drives me NUTS!!! :banghead: Is it like this for everyone else too or just me? Is there a way that I can resize it??

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Just wondering, did you contact the NL Science customer service reps? I've found them very helpful. They will suggest extra research activities, send literature lists, and put you in touch with other HS moms so you can compare and see what works for them. When I've needed extra for my advanced child, they've been super helpful. They really care about helping us, not just getting a sale.

Also....when you all go to her website....does it all fit on your screen? It's like the website is too big for my computer screen (and my screen is not tiny). Like...if you go to the home page and at the top it says Nancy Larson SCIENCE (next to a moth). Well, I get SCIE. The rest is all cut off. So, I can't read everything (imagine a line running directly down from in front of the N...I can't read anything on the right side of the imaginary line). There's no bar to move the page over. Drives me NUTS!!! :banghead: Is it like this for everyone else too or just me? Is there a way that I can resize it??

Nobody??

I asked this question once before and no one ever replied then either. Hmmm....