Menu

If I like _____, will I like King of Thrones?

Especially if you hated Mists, I would say no. I *love* fantasy. But I hated Game of Thrones. Hated. Too much incest, gratuitous rape and pedophilia scenes, and he kills all of the characters as soon as he makes you like them. I also found him to be just a substandard writer. I never even finished it and I was thisclose to burning it.

Especially if you hated Mists, I would say no. I *love* fantasy. But I hated Game of Thrones. Hated. Too much incest, gratuitous rape and pedophilia scenes, and he kills all of the characters as soon as he makes you like them. I also found him to be just a substandard writer. I never even finished it and I was thisclose to burning it.

Wow. That doesn't sound like I'd like it either. But I keep hearing such great things about the series (no rush, no cable here, I'd have to wait for it on Netflix). Is this one of those instances where the show is much better? Like, have they toned down the incest, rape and peodphilia, 'cause that makes me :ack2:.

I'm hearing a lot of buzz about this series, but know next to nothing about it except that it is fantasy genre. (Ok, I know it is a new series on HBO, but we don't get pay channels ;))

WITHOUT giving spoilers, what sort of other books do fans of this series like? I love Harry Potter and Sookie Stackhouse, but hated The Magicians and was bored by Mists of Avalon. I cannot abide C.S. Lewis though I love the movies. Ditto for Lord of the Rings. Gregory Maguire books are just 'ok'. The Hunger Games trilogy was a hit.

I tried putting the first book of Thrones on hold at my library but was 46th!! in line. Forget that. I can buy the boxed set of all four books at Amazon for less than $20 and have it in two days. Violence and s*x don't bother me; a boring story does. Any thoughts from Thrones fans?

Based on your post, I would say you would definitely not enjoy it. Heck, I like them and sometimes I don't enjoy them, lol.

Based on your liking of Harry Potter and Sookie Stackhouse, I can wholeheartedly suggest the following series:

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series

Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel series, Michael Scott

Let me know if you like them!

Wow. That doesn't sound like I'd like it either. But I keep hearing such great things about the series (no rush, no cable here, I'd have to wait for it on Netflix). Is this one of those instances where the show is much better? Like, have they toned down the incest, rape and peodphilia, 'cause that makes me :ack2:.

I have heard the show is good. But I hated the book so much that I refuse to even try the show. It really turned me off, and I'm a longtime Anne Rice and fantasy lover.

Dissenting opinion here. :D

While I agree that the series may not be for you (I'm a big C.S. Lewis/Tolkein fan, loved Mists of Avalon, and Sookie Stackhouse books make me want to stab myself in the eye-even though I keep reading them for some reason...)

I just finished Dances with Dragons, the newest book in the series. Yes, some of the violence makes me shudder and I could do without the gratuitous sex, but it is one of the more engaging series that I have read. He has a great way of advancing the plot through the eyes of different characters and he keeps you on your toes because just when you think you know where he is going with something, it turns out that you were (dead) wrong. No neat, happy endings here. And that is part of why I love it.

ETA: I haven't seen the show yet because we don't have cable and I have to wait until they come out on DVD, but the people I talk to that are fans of the books have enjoyed the show as well.

While I agree that the series may not be for you (I'm a big C.S. Lewis/Tolkein fan, loved Mists of Avalon, and Sookie Stackhouse books make me want to stab myself in the eye-even though I keep reading them for some reason...)

I just finished Dances with Dragons, the newest book in the series. Yes, some of the violence makes me shudder and I could do without the gratuitous sex, but it is one of the more engaging series that I have read. He has a great way of advancing the plot through the eyes of different characters and he keeps you on your toes because just when you think you know where he is going with something, it turns out that you were (dead) wrong. No neat, happy endings here. And that is part of why I love it.

ETA: I haven't seen the show yet because we don't have cable and I have to wait until they come out on DVD, but the people I talk to that are fans of the books have enjoyed the show as well.

:lol: Have to laugh at the bolded part. I hate those stupid books, but can't help but run out and buy them when a new one comes out. I hate myself for it.

Sorry to derail the thread momentarily. I haven't read Game of Thrones yet, (we own some of them, so it's just a matter of time before I commit) but I did enjoy the series on HBO, despite the gratuitous s*x.

Margaret

I've been following the series from the beginning. Yes, there is violence, sex, rape and incest, etc. but I think Martin is one of the most brilliant story writers around. Alot of fiction depends on the characters and often the plot suffers. Martin is definitely a plot writer and will do horrible things to characters for the sake of the story. Doesn't bother me or DH in the least.

I have watched the HBO series and while it is good, I prefer the books.

(I also loved Mists of Avalon, Lord of the Rings and refuse to read Sookie Stackhouse although I adore True Blood) I am a long term Fantasy fan and I love the series.

I am not usually a fan of fantasy. Well, unless you count Harry Potter and LOTR as fantasy, which I don't. I'd never heard of Game of Thrones before I saw the show. After watching one episode, I decided to give the books a try. I could not put them down. George RR Martin is a maniacal genius. There are so many plots, sub-plots, story lines and characters. You NEVER know what is going to happen. I have actually thrown down my Kindle after reading certain chapters. I just couldn't believe some of the things he did to the characters I had grown to love. But, it all works out. I just HAD to keep reading. The story is not boring at all. There is just so much action all over the place. I just finished the 5th one and hate to think I will be waiting forever to find out what happens to my people. HIGHLY recommended.

Had to laugh. I am a huge Lewis and Tolkien fan too and I love almost everything Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote. I am new to Sookie Stackhouse, on book 2 but I am not sure I am enjoying them yet. I think that Jim Butcher and Patricia Briggs are much better writers but I am waiting for the new ones to come out.

Recently re-read the first two in A Song of Ice and Fire in anticipation of Dances with Dragons, but then I thought to myself, it was 5 YEARS from book 4 to book 5! Maybe I will wait until he is done before slogging through the whole series again. :D

I have yet to see the film version but if it is anything at all like the recent Camelot, I will be very, very upset.

:iagree::iagree:

The two I read just made me :ack2:

Now see, I have to derail this conversation for a moment. Sookie in the books is heads and shoulders better than the one in True Blood. Book Sookie is stronger, smarter, kinder and more realistic that TV Sookie.

All that said, there is pedophilia in the Songs of Fire and Ice books?!?!?! I have friends who have been telling em to read the books for a year now, and they KNOW how I feel about baby-rape. Ima gonna have to clap some ear, me thinks.

Some may disagree, but I have found that the series follows the book Game of Thrones pretty closely. I have the book and finished reading it before starting the series but DH hasn't read the book. I now am listening to Game of Kings on audio book (which DH will listen to - he doesn't have enough free time to read an 800+ page book - but then neither do I, you should see my house!) and told DH that the series is close enough to the book that he won't have to read it. I've had to fill him in on some subtleties, but other than that he's good.

Also, the actors they have playing the teenagers in the book (13 year old girl in the arranged marriage, 15 year olds leading battles) look much older than their ages in the books so IMO it's not so in-your-face.