Menu

Someone please tell me they LOVE Baltimore, and give me reasons why!

We've been here for about 18 months, and honestly, I've never disliked an area more (I grew up in the midwest and, dh and I lived in the southeast for 15+ years before coming here). I'm trying to be positive, I really am! I am trying to focus on all the great things we have access to - DC, the Inner Harbor, Gettysburg, the pretty scenery (horse farms, etc) W of the city where we live, lacrosse (which my 11yo ds has come to love) etc. - and while all of that has been fun, I just don't like living here. The people we have met are nice, but everyone is SO BUSY - most couples are both working fulltime, education does not seem to be much of a priority for people, and we very rarely meet anyone affiliated with a church of any kind. Perhaps the area where we live is just too isolated -- it's sort of a bedroom community for middle class families, so there is NOTHING to do here. Plus, the cost of everything - wow! Staggering! Even after 18 months, I still cringe when I write the mortgage check, and that's after I've returned to work part time to help pay it.

So, please, I'm really trying to make this work, and if someone could point out some positive things for me to focus on, that might help! :D

Thank you!!

I went to school in Baltimore and LOVED it! I would totally live there again... though I think that the great parts of it are more urban. We lived in Charles Village by JHU, and with all the problems it was a great place to live. What I miss most is the public transportation! Professional sports teams, museums, the harbor, lots of history, are all easily accessible. I like the "neighborhood"y feeling of the city--how each little are has it's own personality. So many great activities around the various schools, many of them for free. I'd live there again in a second (if dh would leave So Cal!), but I'd probably want to buy a row house and fix it up. They can be so lovely...

Well, I grew up in the suburbs of Baltimore County (Rosedale, Essex area) and never moved very far (live in Delta, PA now which is an hour away). It's all I "know", really. I loved/love Baltimore! That being said, it does all depend on where exactly you live. You can PM me and I'd be happy to chat about things to do in the area. AND, perhaps we could even get together some time. My folks still live in Rosedale and we visit them every Sunday after church. I know of several great churches in the area as well if you'd like some suggestions! Housing prices have increased, which is why we moved to PA. Prices have increased everywhere, really. Even here in this rural area, housing prices went up by about 50% since we purchased 6 yrs. ago. Crazy! I'm sorry your transition to Baltimore hasn't been smooth...it is very different from the midwest. I was never a "city girl" so I did avoid downtown Baltimore, except for trips to the Inner Harbor, Science Center, Zoo, Aquarium, etc. My dh works at JHU and was a teacher in 2 inner city Balto. schools. He's more familiar with and comfortable w/ the city than I am and I grew up there and he didn't! Anyway, please PM me or email me and we can chat more about my old stompin' grounds!

My dh is from Baltimore and I lived there for three years while I went to law school. I loved Baltimore! I loved the harbor, the different ethnic neighborhoods, the artsy side of it, the history. I loved the architecture. I think Baltimore's train station is so beautiful!

Have you ever read any Anne Tyler books? She lives in Baltimore and she obviously loves it too because you can really get a sense of place from them.

My in laws have since moved to Owings Mills. I like the surrounding suburbs too. And of course you can't beat it for its central location.

I love the Baltimore accent, 'Hon.'

It might really have to do with the particular neighborhood you are in. If you want sticker shock, try living in the burbs of Washington DC. It is crazy!

I'm from Baltimore, and still have many Christian friends who live there. Maybe I could connect you with some people, in your area. Email me at julieshields@comcast.net and we can talk more! (I'm heading down to Florida this afternoon for the homeschool convention, so I won't be able to respond until Monday, but please contact me. I'd love to help you get connected.)

I love Baltimore! I like the ethnic neighborhoods that have a small-town feel, I like having so many things to do, I like the architecture. I love just walking in downtown Bal'more. But what do I miss the most? Food!!!!!!! The great delis, sub shops, bagel shops, seafood restaurants, Little Italy. Food down here is so boring. With very few exceptions, the best restaurants are chains.

That being said, I do not miss the crime and pollution. My kids have been so much healthier since we moved to NC, and it is really nice to not worry about my kids being held up at gunpoint for their Halloween candy. Yes, that really happened in our old neighborhood in Parkville.

Baltimore born and raised, and still love it here. Personally, I think it is the perfect blend of North and South. Had to move out of the city though, Hamilton was nice when we moved there, but between a shooting on our street and a scary downstairs neighbor, the hubby and I decided it was best to move to Harford Co.. We like it here, though it is almost a different world. The thing about Baltimore, imho, is that you either love it or hate it. There's not a whole lot of people that are in between. Maryland overall is a great state to live in, especially for home schooling. Laws aren't too strict, you have Baltimore and Washington, as well as Annapolis, Frederick, Belair and many other awesome towns. There are a lot of state parks, cultural things to do in both cities, and other states in close proximity. IMHO, the people here are also pretty real. There's not a whole lot of bs, but then, my living experience is all here, I don't know how it is in other states. Well, I have to go fix the dinner, as both the son and I are hungry, but if you want more specifics on things to do, homeschooling groups in the area, or whatever, just send me a PM.

Thanks, all, for your responses. The areas that you all mentioned - Rosedale and Essex, Harford County - are 45-60 minutes from us. We are W of the city - the edge of Carroll County, in the Sykesville/Eldersburg area. Owings Mills is only ~30 minutes from us; it's actually where I do a good bit of shopping, since we don't have anything here beyond grocery stores, pharmacies, a Kohl's and a small WalMart. That said, we did initially start our househunting search in both the Lutherville/Timonium area and the Owings Mills area, then moved out this way due to $$. Dh and I have discussed the fact we may have erred in that decision; I think we would have had easier access to the city and to more local activities if we had stayed in that part of the suburbs.

We do enjoy going downtown, but we are limited in how often we make the trip there, due to the time involved (45 minutes each way) to get there. Public transportation isn't all that cheap when you take the cost x6, although we have used it to go to a few Orioles games.

I *DO* like all of the downtown area, I do like the proximity to all of the things that are a day's drive or less away. I think you all have reinforced what I believe is the problem -- I don't think this section of the burbs is the right place for me. We're just a bit too isolated, and I'm lonely! But I do enjoy downtown when we go, and I do love being able to go to the Harbor and see the water. There's something about water... my kids think I'm crazy b/c I always "make" us walk to see the water if we are anywhere near it downtown.

Thanks for your support!

Shelly

Downtown living somewhere is my goal for dh and I when the kids are older or out of the house completely. I think, when it's just the 2 of us, w/out a 2yo in tow, it would be great to be able to walk a downtown area, enjoy the small grocers and restaurants, etc!

Shelly

I forgot about Anne Tyler; I'll have to get a few from the library.

I know the sticker shock would have been worse in DC. But coming from SC to here, it was pretty bad! It doesn't help that people *constantly* ask us why on earth we would have moved from the southeast to this part of the country. I know they're just making small talk, but it gets draining!

I enjoyed your post, but I have to point out, with a grin, that while I know MD calls itself southern, having lived in the south for so long, I really think a state needs to know what sweet tea is to label itself southern! :D And, no, it's not iced tea with a packet of sugar on the side. I got addicted to sweet tea during my time in the south, and it's been tough not being able to get it here!

Oh, I know what sweet tea is...my mommy is from VA. I just have to make it myself. It's a nice combination though, even if the food isn't quite the same, the pace is a least a little slower than what I've seen on trips north...though that is jmho. You can, however, get "southern style" sweet tea from arizona, if they still make. Did last time I checked. It's not the same as sun tea with loads of sugar, but, close enough to make me miss my mommy, who has moved back down south.

The people we have met are nice, but everyone is SO BUSY - most couples are both working fulltime, education does not seem to be much of a priority for people, and we very rarely meet anyone affiliated with a church of any kind.

Having lived in Philadelphia and the southeast, my experience is most Northerners seem more busy. I have Northern family that never visited because they always had something else going on. I haven't seen them in years. It's not an area I would move back to. The general population there seemed less friendly toward strangers.

In the southeast, it seems the natives look for reasons to visit and relax.

I live on the NE corner of the city. We moved here 2.5 years ago and are just starting to feel "at home".

Part of the reason, I think, is we are military and just plopped ourselves down amongst those that are "rooted".

Truly, I don't know anyone here that has family further than 30 min from them. A number of the families live next door to their relatives. (No, wait, our neighbor across the street, their child just moved up to PA, a whole 2 hour drive!)

We found it very difficult to "break in". (Really, we felt like we were "breaking in to" people's lives, and that made us very uncomfortable.)

I can't say I like Baltimore though. . .can't stand the traffic, not keen on the Inner Harbor, nor urban life, and the crime rate(!). . .

However, my neighborhood is fantastic. It feels almost country-ish, our neighbors are friendly, and now that we are beginning to make friends, it's much nicer.

There are 3 homeschool families within our block (1 of them being ours). Our older neighbors are saying we're invading. ;) Our older neighbors are very PRO-homeschooling though; which is terribly interesting. One couple brings over stuff they saw at a yard sale that they thought would be perfect for our school. Another one is giving us old magazines from national geographic, and other things he finds "worthy". A third, likes to talk to the boys about gardening.

I'm from the south (LA), yet my neighborhood provides me with my southern "fixes". . .complete with "stray" kids barging in the house hollerin' "Miss Christine. . .", and a good friend coming over for coffee and chatter "just because". :001_smile: (I do make the sweet iced tea though. . .:lol: for my MN man!)

We're in Howard county. Do you have/want a homeschool support group?

About not meeting folks from church: If you are Protestant you will not find people nasty about that fact, but you will discover that most of your neighbors really do NOT go to Protestant churches - mostly because they are CATHOLIC. Lord Baltimore was Catholic - many of the private schools in town have Catholic heritages - it's subtle but pervasive and was hard for me to realize at first that THIS is why so many of the lovely families we meet thru sports and so on, DON'T "go to my church" - or even a church like mine. I have lovely neighbors on my very stable (25+ years) cul-de-sac, but every single one of them are either Catholic or nothing. So "church" is never something we have in common with them.

My kids have been involved extracurricular activities that routinely take us OUT of Howard county - mostly around the beltway to Cockeysville/Timonium areas. Yeah, the beltway traffic is a drag.

Anyway, if you want to venture into Howard County please accept an open invitation to our support group - pm me and I'll give you a link.

OK-how about the Walter's Art Museum. Check out their membership programs, education programs etc. I love that museum!! If you are studying the Middle Ages they used to have an exibit of great religious art from the period ie bible pages, miniature carved prayer books etc.

Also-drive down to Annapolis and wander around. Be sure to stop at Chick-n-Ruths on the main drag for food. Order the milk shakes. Trust me!

+ a freebie-when you get to the Civil War visit the Antietam battlefield.

Yes it is great to know what is available in Baltimore, but I think you need advice on adapting to a new neighborhood. I grew up in Baltimore and lots of posters have already shared a wealth of fun things to do.

I have moved around a lot and understand the difficulties of adjusting to new surroundings. The first thing I generally do is embrace the new community. Get to know the locals , food tastes, culture etc. Trust me when I lived in Hawaii I tried so strange foods but the locals loved me for it. For Maryland this would probably mean trying steamed crabs. I now live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and it is very different from growing near the city. This is good old boy country and I have had to learn to adapt. Also lots of people where I live now are from different places (from all over the US and world world) I really enjoy learning about people and have become a great listener through my travels. When you met locals remember they probably love their hometown as much as you love where you are from. ie no ice tea comments, it won't go over well. If you live in a neighborhood try taking family walks, greet people who are out in their yards working. I am an avid walker and have met most of our neighbors this way. I wish you the best in making some good connections with people.

I am from Oregon and our history is soooo new compared to the East coast. We took our girls to the DC area a couple of years ago and stayed in Glen Burney so that we could go in several directions and where we stayed it was very affordable. We took a day and went to Baltimore, saw the inner harbor, Fort McHenry, shopped downtown etc...We almost missed the last train south because it was Sunday and they close early...good thing someone alerted us to the schedule or we would have had a very expensive taxi bill! The one thing that I wish is that I could live in your area and have the time to explore all the cool historical places. You can go an hour in so many directions and see so much. I am right on the Oregon coast and it is an hour just to get to any small city let alone something historical. I really don't want to live permanently on the east coast but maybe for a short duration if I knew I could get back to the Pacific northwest when I wanted to! Reese

OK, I am glad you mentioned The Walters. We went there for the first time on May 18, and WOW! It was amazing! Truly an incredible museum, and I say this after having visited several of the Smithsonian museums over the past year. It is well worth the trip!

Interestingly, we have been to Annapolis a few times. Once just to see it, and we ate at Chick-and-Ruth's and were able to sit in the "Governor's Booth". We liked it so much that we went back there a few months later when I had to see a surgeon in Annapolis; it made the impending surgery much less frightening to have one of their fabulous milkshakes!

Thanks for posting!

Shelly

I have found the same thing with the majority of people here having family close by. Having lived in more transient areas before now, I didn't expect it! I was accustomed to the more relaxed, looking-for-new-relationships sort of community we had always been fortunate to find before.

Thanks for posting!

Shelly

My sister-in-law & family live in your area. They have homeschooled until high school and now have one in college & one in high school. I'm sure she could put you in touch with some homeschoolers in your area. Please email me at julieshields@comcast.net if you would like me to put you in touch with her. (And I grew up in Timonium -- nice area, but I know what you mean about $$$. We tried to move back at one point, and couldn't find housing we could afford.)