Menu

So. We now own two Epi-pen Jrs.

For my 9-month-old. Nuts, milk, egg whites, all considered "severe" allergies, peanuts the worst. I tried the trainer epi-pen in the office.

I haven't freaked out yet, but it's coming. I think it has to sink in first.

At least now I know I wasn't imagining things with all the rashes & the hives.

Well, I'm very glad you have the epi-pens on hand. I'm sorry your little guy has such severe allergies. I sincerely hope you never have to use either.

The trainer that came in my box was confiscated by dd so she can use it on her stuffies when they need it. :D

I'm glad you have the epi-pens just in case! Hopefully you never have to use them.

Thankfully though we've had them for 4.5 yrs we've never had to use them. We just keep replacing them as they expire and avoiding peanuts (we have no peanut anything in the house so he's been fairly safe).

That is so funny about the trainers - I wonder if I should offer them to my kids now?

Courtney, my kids also play with the trainers! I figured they need to know how to administer them too so why not let them do it to their toys? :)

We have used the real epis many times... it's scary every single time but it has saved their lives too. I'm glad to have them. I hope you never need them.

:grouphug:

My practice with the trainers helped when I had to inject my son. The first time, it didn't inject because I didn't use enough force. Listen for the click.

I also learned that there's a difference in the swing from practicing on your own leg to injecting someone else. You may want to practice on a pillow too.

Hope you never need to use it. But if you do, hope it goes well. :grouphug:

Oh how scary:grouphug: My youngest has allergies to nearly everything, but none severe enough to warrant an epi pen that we have found yet. I've been right there with you though with a sick baby and allergy testing,etc.

I also have another little one with a health issue and although of course it stinks, it does sometimes feel good to get answers when you have been a worried mama.

:grouphug: I'm sorry, that is scary. I hope that once it does sink in that you will also feel some peace. Hopefully it's a little more comforting that you found out now and not after he had a super severe reaction to something. More :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Dd was given an epi-pen 2 wks ish ago. She is technically at weight for the jr, but the doc wanted her to have the regular anyway :confused:. That makes me a wee nervous. It just seems like a lot of dose for a small child.

When I was younger, I carried one for my asthma but it was a lot smaller. These things seem so big and bulky. My dd is terrified of it. When we had the prescription filled it came with a trainer, like they had in the office. I have been trying to get dd more comfortable with it. Like another poster said, letting her use it on the stuffed animals and whatnot. Yea, its not working :tongue_smilie:.

I hope you never have to use it (or me either), but I know I feel better having it.

Glad that you have them, and sorry you need them.

One great piece of advice we received was to use our expired epis to practice on citrus fruits. The trainers were great, very helpful, but practicing with an expired epi on an orange actually had me shaking! It was good practice, and helped me get a better idea about how hard to push, etc.

We've only had to use our epi once, and it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined. In fact, I wasn't even sure the needle had come out as DS and I counted to 10. We knew when I pulled it out though. :)

If you ever do use it... I sure wish someone had warned me about the shaking. All that epinephrine in a little body... Even though I *knew* what was happening, it would have been nice to have been warned.

DS said it didn't hurt, by the way, for all the other kids out there who are scared!

Edited by Spryte

Thanks, guys. I'm actually less freaked out than I was when dh gave him a tiny piece of something with a cross-contamination warning and he got hives, and then the girls spilled peanuts in the living room and although he never touched them, just being in the room gave him a rash. I was shaking then and counting down the days until the allergy appt!!

I hope I never have to use it. I'm glad I have it but the thought of NEEDING it.... Aaaaaaaaaaaaah. :svengo:

They are both scary and great to have. Both of my kiddos have peanut allergies. Thankfully, we have only had to use the Epi-pen once.

One thing I didn't know though, was that the Epi-pen isn't a cure all. It is a lifesaver, but the medication really only has about a 15 minute span. If the allergy is severe enough, it is enough time for you to call or make it to help. For my kid that had to use the Epi-pen, she was fine afterwards so we didn't need to take her to the ER. But it is something to watch.

Aww, sorry to hear that. :glare: We've been there too, our 2 yr old has anaphylactic allergies to peanuts, milk, eggs and soy, that we know of so far. We also have to carry 2 Epi Pens everywhere we go. It may be too late now, but make sure when you buy your pens you ask for the latest expiry date they have, or call around. I bought an Epi Pen at one pharmacy that I found had the cheapest pens- but expiry dates in just 3 months (wasn't given this tip till it was too late)!! :glare: I payed $10 more at a more expensive pharmacy for one that expired in 15 months- worth the extra $$ by far! Take care! :grouphug:

I'm just thankful that there are epipens. I grew up with crazy allergies and I think I visited the ER for epinepherine a half dozen times or so. Those were scary car rides, even though they were all during my teen years and I was old enough to understand everything going on.

My dd carries an epipen for her latex allergy. Being in a large room with only two or three inflated balloons in the opposite corner covers her in hives and leaves her swollen for a good 48 hours. We've not needed the epipen but I can't imagine dodging it forever. I'm just glad she has them as latex is everywhere. You can't even go to the grocery store without helium balloons announcing a meat sale or in the floral department.

Glad that you have them, and sorry you need them.

One great piece of advice we received was to use our expired epis to practice on citrus fruits. The trainers were great, very helpful, but practicing with an expired epi on an orange actually had me shaking! It was good practice, and helped me get a better idea about how hard to push, etc.

We've only had to use our epi once, and it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined. In fact, I wasn't even sure the needle had come out as DS and I counted to 10. We knew when I pulled it out though. :)

If you ever do use it... I sure wish someone had warned me about the shaking. All that epinephrine in a little body... Even though I *knew* what was happening, it would have been nice to have been warned.

DS said it didn't hurt, by the way, for all the other kids out there who are scared!

Thanks for the hint with the citrus fruit. We are definitely going to do this.

Remember to have fast melt Benadryl, too. :) We've never had to use ours, and we've had it for 10 years...so.... With peanut allergies, I believe it's best to avoid soy, too. We're careful... and lucky! Hopefully you will be, too. There are allergy bracelets with "peanut allergy" that you can get, too...

Remember to have fast melt Benadryl, too. :) We've never had to use ours, and we've had it for 10 years...so.... With peanut allergies, I believe it's best to avoid soy, too. We're careful... and lucky! Hopefully you will be, too. There are allergy bracelets with "peanut allergy" that you can get, too...

The doc recommended liquid Zyrtec for now, but we have the Benadryl here as well.

Thanks everyone. The freaking out is definitely setting in, especially since I had to explain to my mom what an Epi-pen was.... They gave us the pack with the further exp. date in the pharmacy, end of Jan.

http://www.allergyapparel.com/main.sc

Also, I'm sure you've already done this, but I would strongly urge you to rid your house completely of all peanut products, it's just not worth it and it's so easy to get sloppy and mess up just one time. And don't forget, throw away your half-eaten jam jars that may have come into contact with a knife smeared in peanut butter! :001_smile:

http://www.allergyapparel.com/main.sc

Also, I'm sure you've already done this, but I would strongly urge you to rid your house completely of all peanut products, it's just not worth it and it's so easy to get sloppy and mess up just one time. And don't forget, throw away your half-eaten jam jars that may have come into contact with a knife smeared in peanut butter! :001_smile:

Yes. Dh was going to take them all to work tomorrow to snack on safely, but this afternoon the girls decided it would be a great time to have a big peanut snack. :svengo: :svengo: The open peanuts went straight into the garbage. The sealed containers will go with him to work tomorrow, and I'm dumping the peanut butter. Luckily I already discovered Sunbutter!

They are both scary and great to have. Both of my kiddos have peanut allergies. Thankfully, we have only had to use the Epi-pen once.

One thing I didn't know though, was that the Epi-pen isn't a cure all. It is a lifesaver, but the medication really only has about a 15 minute span. If the allergy is severe enough, it is enough time for you to call or make it to help. For my kid that had to use the Epi-pen, she was fine afterwards so we didn't need to take her to the ER. But it is something to watch.

The allergist we saw last spring reminded us that if we ever have to use the epi-pen to call 911 since he could have a secondary reaction on the way to the ER and we wouldn't want to be driving and trying to deal with that.

We got him a bracelet he wears all the time from fiddledee.com (he's fussy so I didn't want to get one of the medicalert ones until I knew whether he'd keep it on).

My daughter has never had anything with peanuts or peanut butter - at some point we need to let her but for now she just has sunbutter (she was about 1.5 when we found out he was allergic).