Menu

Logic Stage Middle Ages - secular options

We just finished History Odyssey Ancients 2 yesterday. I don't know that I want to use HO again next year. But, as far as I know, the only secular alternative to HO for logic stage is History At Our House. This isn't going to work for us because they are starting Ancients at the junior high level next year, and I don't want to repeat Ancients. Not to mention that I'm not really ready for the expense or for outsourcing.

Are there any other alternatives?

I highly recommend the book that Calvert uses: Across the Centuries isbn: 0-395-93066-9. It covers the medieval period. It was perfect for my 6th grader this year. It is a textbook but it isn't dry. There are a few questions at the end of each section and chapter reviews. I didn't have my dd outline, but it would be very easy to do. I saw it on Amazon (used) a few days ago for a very good price - I think I saw the teachers guide also.

Why not follow TWTM method? Just have you child outline Kingfisher's history book, do map and outline work, do some extra reading from books in the library or Amazon, discuss and have your dc write a report or two. I find it a very easy system to impliment.

K12's middle school history is a wonderful secular option. They cover American History over two years using the Hakim series. Then they cover World History over two years using a self-published series, unfortunately also titled The Human Odyssey. I have the first volume of their Human Odyssey (as do a few other members of this board) and it is really a great extension to SOTW. I like that it also includes more Eastern history than some of the Western Civ books that are often recommended here. You can buy these books separately, sometimes used, without purchasing the online content offered by K12.

Why not follow TWTM method? Just have you child outline Kingfisher's history book

Unfortunately, part of what I disliked was the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. I'm not much of a magazine reader because the short articles are soon forgotten. Maybe it's the way my brain is wired. I feel the same way about KHE. Retention is a problem.

Unfortunately, part of what I disliked was the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. I'm not much of a magazine reader because the short articles are soon forgotten. Maybe it's the way my brain is wired. I feel the same way about KHE. Retention is a problem.

Sue, I'm not all that in love with KHE or KF, for that matter either. I do use it on occasion, but I would not call it my spine text.

I am using WTM for history w/my 7th gr. dd., and here is how I've been doing it so far:

I cover history in "chunks", according to DK's History of the World. For example - We are covering 1800-1850 right now. I read the overview pages with my dd., and look at the timeline of events around the world. During the course of our studies on that period, I will refer (mostly) to the pages centering on European/American history. We will read through some of the captions and I get books out of the library on a particular person or event.

This week, we are covering The Louisiana Purchase, Westward Expansion/Lewis & Clark. I selected a "spine" text from the library that gives an overview of these events. I then pick out one or two "living books" on the topics covered in DK or the spine for the week.

I also use Walch's World and US History Map Activities books for our week's mapwork.

We do other activities for history as well, but my focus was on spine/resource texts, since that is more in line with the topic of your post. :001_smile:

We really liked Suzanne Strauss Art's Early Times - The Story of the Middle Ages and Oxford Press, The African & Middle Eastern World 600-1500 by Randall Pouwels. While neither is very thick, they are great as mini spines that you could use alone or combine with readers covering this time period.

Sue, we just finished HO MA 2, and I agree with a lot of what you said. We didn't do HO ancients (I tried to pull my own history together) so I can't make a lot of comparisons. There aren't any of the History Pockets. There is a castle to build, which my son loved, but was very time consuming. It could easily be left out. I heartily dislike Kingfisher also. I tried to substitute the encyclopedia readings with books from the library whenever possible, or even articles from our World Book Encyclopedia. I also picked out a lot of extra supplemental literature from the library.

We'll be using HO Early Modern next year. While it's not perfect, it sure beat trying to put it together myself! I spent several days making lists of library books to correspond with the lessons, so now I'm all set to go.

Hope you find something you like!

Karen

We really liked Suzanne Strauss Art's Early Times - The Story of the Middle Ages and Oxford Press, The African & Middle Eastern World 600-1500 by Randall Pouwels. While neither is very thick, they are great as mini spines that you could use alone or combine with readers covering this time period.

Thanks. I'm requesting them through ILL to check them out.

We'll be using HO Early Modern next year. While it's not perfect, it sure beat trying to put it together myself!

:iagree:

As much as I dislike KHE, I do not have the time/energy/interest to pull history together myself. I'll probably wind up using it again (actually ds doesn't complain about HO, only the History Pockets).

At least now I have a few other things to check out. I appreciate all the suggestions.

If not Kingfisher, how about some other sort of encyclopedia or atlas/survey type book to serve as a spine for introducing topics. Then you could read more in depth on each topic. I would never just read from a two page spine and call it a day for history....

Here are some I know about:

Atlas of the World in the Middle Ages, Brian Adams

Cambridge Illustrated History of the Middle Ages: 350-920, etc. (in two or three volumes, I think). Robert Fossier, ed.

1000 Years Ago on Planet Earth, Sneed B. Collard III (what a name!)

Archers, Alchemists, and 98 Other Medieval Jobs you Might Have Loved or Loathed, Priscilla Galloway.

Atlas of the World in the Middle Ages, Brian Adams

Cambridge Illustrated History of the Middle Ages: 350-920, etc. (in two or three volumes, I think). Robert Fossier, ed.

1000 Years Ago on Planet Earth, Sneed B. Collard III (what a name!)

Archers, Alchemists, and 98 Other Medieval Jobs you Might Have Loved or Loathed, Priscilla Galloway.

Thanks, Regena. I've requested these from the library to check them out.