Menu

Kindergarten "School Supplies" question

MrsKriknav

I have seen several threads on shopping for school supplies and the different deals out there already. It got me thinking about what I will actually need for my homeschooling kindergartner. She is my oldest and this will be our first year homeschooling. What sorts of things do I need to get for basic supplies? Thanks in advance for your help!!!:D

P.S. We will be just covering the three-R's this year!

We never have enough crayons, markers, colored pencils. We also go through a lot of glue. Get some scissors, dry erase markers, and a reusable handwriting white board (Target has them for a dollar). For us, nothing beyond that was really necessary...although fun!

I'd also use this time to stock up on pocket folders and file folders, notebooks, and note cards. We use the folders for lapbooks and organization. The notecards we use for memorization quotes, scriptures and poems. The notebooks are for my extensive list making. :)

We go through a ton of paper - K size lined paper, printer paper, construction paper (2 sizes if you want to do anything like history or lit. pockets), cardstock for various printables, bright printer paper for certain printouts or science experiments.

Pencils & lots of erasers, 64 pack of crayons (more variety of colors), people-colored crayons if you have the extra funds, glue & glue sticks for art projects

We go through a ton of paper - K size lined paper, printer paper, construction paper (2 sizes if you want to do anything like history or lit. pockets), cardstock for various printables, bright printer paper for certain printouts or science experiments.

Pencils & lots of erasers, 64 pack of crayons (more variety of colors), people-colored crayons if you have the extra funds, glue & glue sticks for art projects

Thank you! Where do you buy K size lined paper?

We never have enough crayons, markers, colored pencils. We also go through a lot of glue. Get some scissors, dry erase markers, and a reusable handwriting white board (Target has them for a dollar). For us, nothing beyond that was really necessary...although fun!

I'd also use this time to stock up on pocket folders and file folders, notebooks, and note cards. We use the folders for lapbooks and organization. The notecards we use for memorization quotes, scriptures and poems. The notebooks are for my extensive list making. :)

Thank you! I do want to do lapbooks so file folders are going on my list and also notecards!!!

For K my first go-around, I used one 2" binder to hold all the loose-leaf stuff, so I needed the binder and a 3-hole punch. We also are required to participate in reviews twice per year, so I use one 1/2" binder just for the review materials.

I think most places carry little notebooks of lined paper--just look for the widest lines available to be "K" lined. I'm thinking I've seen them at Wal-Mart, Target, and Staples all three. I much prefer the quality of the paper sold from Rainbow Resource. Hmmm. I'm having issues with their website; it looks like it's been revamped? Anyway, they sell reams. At the moment, a ream is $14.95 (item number 007695) and 100 sheets is $4.95 (#010602). I didn't think a ream cost quite that, so it may be a different one. We also love the picture story lined writing paper. It's bound, unlike our ream, and has maybe 4 lines for the K sized paper along with a nice box on top for drawing. It's $3.95, and #018057.

Of course, if you aren't already placing a RR order, I don't know that I'd bother with the paper for that! You can also print lined paper for free from many places.

Do math manipulatives count as school supplies? If so, a ruler, a yard/meter stick, and a balance scale get a lot of use around here.

Have fun shopping! :001_smile:

A LOOOOOT of cheap copy paper for drawing on, printing coloring pages, etc.

WASHABLE crayons

The biggest magnetic dry erase board you can find, with WASHABLE markers

Foam/magnetic letters

short fat pencils

WASHABLE glue & stuff to glue on (sequins, goggly eyes, yarn, etc.)

BLUNT (kiddie) scissors

Glue sticks. More than that. No, really, you need MORE GLUE STICKS! ;)

Scissors. Yeah, a couple of extra pair would be good. No, throw in another.

Good pencils. (For kids with challenging pencil grips, I like Ticonderoga Tri-Conderoga 22506 -- from Amazon or Staples. Wider than standard, but not "fat-pencil" wide, slightly soft sides, triangular shape...)

Good colored pencils. Crayola aren't great, but they're okay. Prang is better. Prismacolor or Faber-Castell are great choices. Rose Art is beyond worthless.

Construction paper. White paper. Rolls of paper.

Crayons. (Crayola are fine. Rose Art is beyond worthless.)

Agreed. Same with the box of crayons. :glare: I have 3 pencils left and maybe 2 actual whole crayons. The rest are broken pieces.

My kids are older now, and dh still gets twitchy this time of year worrying that I'm going to bring boatloads of boxes of crayons, glue sticks, drawing paper, scissors into the house as the school supply sales kick in. But we *always* needed more come February. :)

I see no one has mentioned sticky tape - rolls and rolls of it -It is the most coveted item in our house -my kids ask for it in their Christmas stockings.

Also save all your empty cardboard boxes and food packages - this is what the sticky tape gets used on :D

Don't forget stickers.

A hot glue gun can be useful as well -for sticking together all those things that were never meant to be stuck together but your K insists that they should :glare:

Oh and if your 20 month old is anything like mine - make sure all your art supplies are WASHABLE - and on that note you might want to pick up a couple of Magic Erasers (more then a couple if you have persistant toddlers) LOL

Edited by sewingmama

I just finished schooling a K child last year.

P.S. We will be just covering the three-R's this year!

We took this approach, but I do think coloring, scissor skills, and learning basic social studies and science also make sense.

Keep in mind, if she ends up being very advanced or just excels rapidly with the one-on-one attention a homeschooling child gets, (mine did) she may not have the patience/developmental maturity to move on with more advanced "3's". For example my Kindergartner learned to read rapidly, and was reading at a 3rd or 4th grade level halfway through the year, but she had no developmental interest in reading material of that level, kwim?

I joined Enchanted Learning and printed out activities, and also purchased some basic Kinder skills books. Enchanted Learning has make-your-own books for things like life cycles, seasonally-themed materials, etc, that can allow the Kinder child to be crafty and write and practice scissor skills. Dot-to-dots, math sheets, mazes, color-by-numbers, that Kinder children LOVE to do. Even after mastery Kinders love to, for example, do a color-by-math sheet with simple problems that allows them to demonstrate competence and independence.

The sheets about map reading, community, "what is a city", etc, I also think is time well spent in Kindergarten, because as homeschoolers we tend to get right into real history in 1st grade, rather than belaboring all the "this is my community" stuff for all of lower elementary like schools often do.

I also kept an eye out for craft store bargains. Peel-and-stick mosaics, paintable ceramics, paint kits, etc, were all popular with my Kindergarten student. And these motor skills and activities are great for development of a 5 yr old.

Even with all this stuff, you'll find that schooling is brief for a Kindergartner, at least in my experience. 3 hours max. My older child went to public K and it was full day K. Often after lunch they were napping, watching movies, and playing games. Having educated a Kinder child myself I now see why, and why K has in in the past traditionally been a half-day program.

Edited by zenjenn

Definitely great suggestions!

LOTS of Markers

LOTS of Crayons

LOTS of Pencils (we only use Ticonderoga)

Pencil Sharpener (or two)

LOTS of Paper (all kinds...we have spiral *cheap* notebooks for 'free drawing' and such, rolled paper, etc etc)

Couple of Bottles of Glue

LOTS of Glue Sticks

A couple of pairs of scissors (really 2 is enough...one to use regularly, and one for backup)

Those things above are my "usually buy every year even if we don't NEED them" items just b/c you can't have enough of them. I also check my stock, and restock as needed of...

Construction Paper

PomPoms

Glitter

Paint (watercolor & tempera)

File Folders (for filing, for lapbooks, etc)

Composition Notebooks (specifically the Primary Journal right now)