Menu

How much time for 1st grade math?

Boxing Hare

I've never done 1st grade before b/c my older 2 were in school then. For them I spend 1 hour doing math. We do SM (WB, IP, CWP) for an hour 4x week and then fun math on Fridays for an hour. I was planning on doing this with my 1st grader too. But now after reading these other math posts, I'm starting to wonder if an hour is too much. His kindergarten teacher seems to have prepared him well because he easily placed into SM 1B. I'll be doing Miquon with him too. So how much time per day?

I'm not sure if I like this board or not. It creates new worries, but always solve them for me.:tongue_smilie:

I think you should spend whatever time you feel is right for your family. For our family, we did about 20 minutes in first grade. We used RightStart and then a bit of Math Mammoth, and finally switched to Singapore 1A/B. In second grade, we're doubling that to 40-50 minutes because we're adding extra fun challenges (IP/CWP and more).

1st grade took about 30 minutes on Monday (introducing the concept), 20 minutes the rest of the week. We would often times play math games, Math Wrap Ups, etc, but we did those toward the end of the day. I'm expecting it take slightly longer this year, but not much. After 30 minutes or so he either gets frustrated or bored. If needed, we'll move on then come back to it.

First Grade Math = 40 minutes/day = 30 minutes for the lesson(s) + 10 minutes for the drill/game/math fact songs.

Next year, though, it's going up to an hour total for the second grader. She needs to work longer and harder on math next year, IMO, or she will think she knows it all already. ;) (Actually, she has that attitude now). :glare:

Our lessons are anywhere between 20-45 minutes depending on the concept being taught and the hands on activities. This is also including the time we spend doing fact review. If you feel like you are spending too much time but also feel you need that time I would break it up into two sittings. This is what I did last year, we did all review and mental math work at one time and the new skill and work page at another time.

For us, the first day introducing the concept tends to be the most time in the week - depending on what that is, it's taken as little as 10-minutes and as much as 20-45 minutes. Once the concept is done on day one of the new concept, that's it for the day.

The days that follow are reinforcement, practice and review - again, the time to do that depends.....but I'd say the average time runs about 15-30 minutes a day for the worksheets or mental math. Math games can go on for much more time - easily up to an hour if DS is having fun with it.

I don't schedule math for a very specific amount of time that it must run, but rather schedule it for up to an hour and whatever time we need is what we do. If we hit an hour and need more, we go over (that happens now and then with math games), if we're done before the hour is up, we're done for the day unless DS wants to move on or do more.

I'll also add that we don't always do math in just one block of time in a day - sometimes we'll do a few pages of the workbook or IP....then later in the day we'll do some mental math in the car, or while out and about.