Menu

Real Science 4 Kids question

AimeeM

Does the author present a young earth or old earth view? I can't find the answer to that question anywhere it seems.

I did read reviews that she (the author) does not necessarily agree with evolution - but I also read that the curriculum is secular.

We are flirting with the idea of ordering her Physics program; but our decision is largely dependent on the questions "young earth" or "old earth".

We only have the PreLevel 1 Biology and Chemistry, but they don't have anything in them (that I see so far) that shows any distinction either way. It is simply straightforward: this is an atom, this is how atoms connect, this is what happens when they do for Chemistry; and classifications of plants, animals, etc into kingdom, phylum, and so on. There is a section of frog development and growth and one on butterfly growth; I have not noticed anything that would be objectionable to anyone. I know that is her goal, to stick with facts that everyone can agree on - no evolution or creation. If you want that, you have to add it yourself or find a different program. At this point, with my 5-6 year old I am fine with the completely secular science. We cover creation in Bible lessons.

Guest momk2000

I believe she will be addressing worldview in her level 2 Bio. She is supposed to present all points of view. I read about this either on her blog or the gravitas website a while ago.

I believe the author is in the intelligent design camp. She trying to create a neutral worldview, so I think there isn’t anything about that in the books. (But she has also started astronomy since I first looked at them, and I don’t see how you can avoid mentioning age-of-the-world in that.)

From the FAQ sectionof the website:

Does RS4K teach from a creation, intelligent design or evolution perspective?

None! REAL SCIENCE-4-KIDSdoesn’t favor one worldview over another. REAL SCIENCE-4-KIDS focuses on the nuts and bolts of chemistry, physics, biology, geology, and astronomy and teaches kids how to investigate science through the lens of any worldview. In that way, you can give your child the richest source of insight-the ability to evaluate opposing models. Being able to evaluate opposing models is needed both for a solid education in the sciences and to better prepare for an enlightened, thought-centered future. The goal of a quality science education is to give students the ability to think critically, discuss openly, and evaluate analytically.