Menu

Thought someone broke in my house lastnight

:lol::lol::lol:

I would be concerned about Hantavirus (which you can contract from mouse feces).

Yes, that is what I was thinking when I asked what type of mice in another post. If they are deer mice, I would be very concerned. :001_unsure:

Actually, I think I asked if they were dear mice. Whoops. That just dawned on me.:lol:

Edited by jewellsmommy

If you decide to keep them do not try to keep them in one of the habitrail wire/plastic combo cages unless the the space between the wires is very narrow. If the space is about 1/4" they will be able to escape. I learned this the hard way.

Aren't those the best lessons? :D :tongue_smilie:

We had those we put peanutbutter in them never caught anything.

I never caught anything with peanut butter either. Tootsie Rolls though.... I caught 4 in the same trap in ONE night! I live between two large fields and get mice every time the tractors roll through. :tongue_smilie:

Ok update- The pet store says they are not deer mice! They look very healthy and from handling them she wouldn't know that they were wild. They are still too little to understand to fear us. They think one is injured from the way he walks which would also be the one they got out of Evils mouth. To guess the size they can fit in soda bottle caps, so they are pretty tiny.

The pet store said they most likely came out looking for their mother making noises. According to my son the one they got from the cat had went right to him. So they obviously don't understand fear. It is ironic I got rid of the mother and ended up with her babies!

Maybe you should try asking a vet. If I'm not mistaken, it's just more likely if it's a deer mice, but other mice can be infected as well.

Here is a link about Hantavirus:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002358/

You can also google it for more info.

ETA: this website says other mice can have it:

http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/hps/transmission.html

Just wanted to add that maybe you should call the vet's office... if the mice really are infected, it would be better to expose less people. I don't want to scare you, I just really have no idea.

I was just rudely woke up to what I was positive was the noisiest intruder possible I heard chairs being tossed over, crashing noises LOUD! I was walking through a dark house armed with my cell and a can of pepper spray to find my evil cat Howling at the top of his lungs thrashing all over my school room. You would have thought a herd of wild animals was in there. It took me a second to figure out what was going on, Evil caught a mouse!! Note to Evil don't catch mice on glue traps :001_huh: Yeah evil cat, mouse, glue trap use your imagination.

He hissed and yowled like a crazed animal. It was on the bottom of all his paws stuck up the side of one leg. I finally got it off with said mouse attatched. The cat hissed and tried to smack me. He has walked around all day hissing at everyone and you hear the sticky sound with every step he takes. I love my animals and am glad to know that he can open drawers which is where the trap had been. :lol:

I'm having a horrid day and your post just made me :lol:

thank you!

The pet store told me about looking at their eyes and seeing if their tails are wet that sort of thing. Keep the kids hand washed. They are not deer mice though that is for sure and the last case of that hatavirus (sp) around here was in the late nineties. I don't want them. I don't like them. I feel bad they are so little and all. The kids are suppose to go on a visit to their dads Fri in IN he said he will talk them into freeing them in the field, so hope that will work!

The pet store told me about looking at their eyes and seeing if their tails are wet that sort of thing. Keep the kids hand washed. They are not deer mice though that is for sure and the last case of that hatavirus (sp) around here was in the late nineties. I don't want them. I don't like them. I feel bad they are so little and all. The kids are suppose to go on a visit to their dads Fri in IN he said he will talk them into freeing them in the field, so hope that will work!

Send the mice to Dad's!

Send the mice to Dad's!

That is the game plan!! I am worried they are small and the pet store said they most likely started getting around when they came to look for their mother. They don't fear anything one tried to crawl right up to our cat :glare: So I worry but I also worry if we keep them too long they will be tame and not know how to fend for themselves. :confused: I don't hate mice in general I just hate them in my house ya know? They cuddle right in the kids' hands.

My youngest is already attatched they have names Frick and Frack lol.

Another update..An hour ago I noticed my Evil cat tossing something around. He had gotten ahold of one of the babies I got the baby away tried to put it in the box and realized the two babies were still in the box :eek: So yes there was a new baby!! I put him with the others snuggled in the little bed my children had made for them. Sadly he passed away :( Either his heart gave out or the cat damaged him I don't know. I am truly hoping that this the end of all the mice. I cannot stand them running around my house The twins as the kids say will live in their box hopefully safe and sound.

Why are you using glue traps? :/

They are the most disgusting, horrible trap in existence. Do you even knows what happens to the mice on these things? They struggle, and struggle and eventually pull parts of their skin off. Even gnaw on a leg to escape.

A snap trap is more merciful in comparison. Please, do not use them. They're never a good idea. In addition, the mouse tends to poop and pee on them a lot, splashing it everywhere.

Why are you using glue traps? :/

They are the most disgusting, horrible trap in existence. Do you even knows what happens to the mice on these things? They struggle, and struggle and eventually pull parts of their skin off. Even gnaw on a leg to escape.

A snap trap is more merciful in comparison. Please, do not use them. They're never a good idea. In addition, the mouse tends to poop and pee on them a lot, splashing it everywhere.

GAG!

I was just rudely woke up to what I was positive was the noisiest intruder possible I heard chairs being tossed over, crashing noises LOUD! I was walking through a dark house armed with my cell and a can of pepper spray to find my evil cat Howling at the top of his lungs thrashing all over my school room. You would have thought a herd of wild animals was in there. It took me a second to figure out what was going on, Evil caught a mouse!! Note to Evil don't catch mice on glue traps :001_huh: Yeah evil cat, mouse, glue trap use your imagination.

He hissed and yowled like a crazed animal. It was on the bottom of all his paws stuck up the side of one leg. I finally got it off with said mouse attatched. The cat hissed and tried to smack me. He has walked around all day hissing at everyone and you hear the sticky sound with every step he takes. I love my animals and am glad to know that he can open drawers which is where the trap had been. :lol:

:lol: thanks for the laugh! Poor kitty. ROFLOL, but I can just see it. :lol::lol:

GAG!

I know it's graphic, and it can get worse for the animals too. But that's just the truth about these things. Last year when I was working for a pub, they used them and I found a mouse jaw and eyeball with some skin - the mouse was no where to be seen. That's how desperate they are to escape, and I don't blame them.

Unfortunately, people look for the easy way out and have no consideration of the pain they're causing. So unnecessary. :glare:

• 2 weeks later...
I know it's graphic, and it can get worse for the animals too. But that's just the truth about these things. Last year when I was working for a pub, they used them and I found a mouse jaw and eyeball with some skin - the mouse was no where to be seen. That's how desperate they are to escape, and I don't blame them.

Unfortunately, people look for the easy way out and have no consideration of the pain they're causing. So unnecessary. :glare:

I never saw this post or your other one but to answer your question very plainly, I can use these traps because mice can carry diseases and my children are more important than any other creature that may sneak in my house. This was not a thread about glue traps or the use of them but about my crazy cat, and frankly you can take your personal agenda elsewhere since that is all you have posted about on this board.

We were having fun laughing at my cat you didn't need to try and make people disgusted. Again this is a family type board where we talk about our family life and homeschooling. Anything that uses the bathroom in my silverwear drawer and can be a danger to my kids is going to be removed by any means possible.