Menu

What Laminator to Buy??

So I'm ready to make the splurge and buy a laminator. I really don't want to spend a fortune but I really don't love the little laminator pockets most laminators come with? I've never used thembut don't they waste a lot of the plastic? I guess I'm just used to the regular school type with the long continuous roll of plastic where you just insert as many items as you need laminated and then cut the plastic off when those items run through it. Is there anything on the market like that for a reasonable price?

For those who use the laminators with the refill packs that are pockets, how do you like them? How much can you laminate with one refil pack. Just trying to get an idea of price for the value.

I'm getting ready to laminate a ton (printing the k4 program at Confession of a Homeschooler). So I need something pretty reasonable for refills as well.

Thanks!!

Mandi

I have a purple cow one from Costco. I'm not sure if it is the same for all laminators in this price range, but I don't like how the end of the page gets a little wrinkly at the end of the laminating cycle.

I was wondering if the scotch does the same thing.

I have a purple cow one from Costco. I'm not sure if it is the same for all laminators in this price range, but I don't like how the end of the page gets a little wrinkly at the end of the laminating cycle.

I haven't had that issue.

I like the Scotch laminator. I've seen it at Target & Walmart for about $25. I buy the pouches at Sams Club (the brand is Royal Sovereign)--they're about $20 for 200 pouches.

You can place several small items in the pouches and then trim around them just fine.

Hm, that's the one sitting in my cart at Amazon while I think about it. :)

I have the Scotch laminator. It works great! :iagree:

The only time I've had issues with wrinkling was after I'd been laminating for a long time. Perhaps the machine got too hot? I just unplugged the machine and let it cool off. After that, no more wrinkles! I've had this machine for two years.

Another vote for the Scotch one. I got it from Amazon last Christmas when it was a deal of the day for $15. I've had no problems with it. Most of the things I laminate are items I printed out myself, so they're going to be paper size anyway.

I've used a roll laminator at church, and those can be a pain. I much prefer the pouches. I also think it uses less plastic to use the pouches because when using the rolls, I sometimes only have a small amount to laminate, yet the whole width of the roll has to go through.

I have a Fellowes Saturn 95 we bought at Staples that I really like. I, too, use the pocket pouches and have had no problems. I have a choice of two thicknesses. Also, I just bought some smaller pouches (they say for items up to 4x6) to re-laminate a couple of things that little dd managed to maul. The bigger ones work fine with no wrinkling.

I have the Scotch too. It does a very good job. Just one thing I don't care for is that if something gets caught in there you can't take it apart to take it out. I was laminating a flashcard last week and it literally buckled up in the machine and got stuck in there. I'm not sure how I did it even. I had to get a knife and stab the paper inside to get it out. There were no screws or anything on it to pull it out in the back. So that was the only thing I don't care about it.

I have the same issue when I use the PurpleCow laminating pouches. I just bought some Fellowes pouches and have not had that problem.

I have the same issue when I use the PurpleCow laminating pouches. I just bought some Fellowes pouches and have not had that problem.

Thanks for the heads up. I just opened mine from Costco. Now wishing I would've seen the Scotch, but this will do the job. ;)

I too own the Scotch. It's the 2nd one I've owned and I LOVE it. The first one had to go after my dd was "being helpful" and put the open end in first and it wouldn't work after that...:( So I bought another one. I do get the wrinkling but I think it's when the machine is too hot, otherwise no issues and for the price I'd buy it 100 times! It works great and is in our budget.

I get my pouches from Amazon. 100 for $9.00

I have a Xyron 900 (I think). It says 9" Creative Station. It works well for 8 1/2 X 11 inch paper. I cut pieces down and it works fine.

The cheapest place is Hobby Lobby when they are having a Xyron sale. They are doing it this week, so it will probably happen again in a few weeks. Or use the 40% off coupon, which will probably hit next week.

The cartridge lasts pretty long. I don't know how many pages it does. The refill cartridge says 50 ' and it laminates both sides.

I have a GBC heatseal that I LOVE. It is a bit more, but it is built to last. I've had it about 6yrs already and expect it last through homeschooling. I also get the cheap pouches on Amazon. I like that it does 13" width so I can make 11x17 posters with it. You can also laminate thick stuff like construction paper and cardstock. We had a cheaper pouch laminator(not sure which) at church and it just didn't seal as nice. We laminate everything under the sun. :D