Menu

Geometry For Non Mathy Student

TT is not proof-lite, but not sure if that's what you're looking for. I do agree that a really light geometry could mean skipping proofs, but not sure a non mathy student necessarily needs no proofs. Proofs are actually non mathy, if you ask my mathy kid LOL

Julie

:iagree: We used TT with our "non-mathy" son. Worked very well for him. In my naive corner, I really don't see how learning geometry without learning proofs constitutes learning geometry, at the high school level. TT gave the right balance for our son.

I just got in Strayer-Upton 7/8. The chapters on geometric constructions are very artsy. Waldorf also does a lot of geometric constructions in the middle grades. Maybe you might want to create a geometry curriculum, with a variety of resources. There are wonderful resources for geometry such as living books and projects. Look at the geometry chapters in integrated math books and curricula from other countries. MEP has some good free geometry lessons you can print out.

Also look for trig lessons designed for grades 7-9 in integrated and foreign maths. To add the trigs will make the course look "high school" even if you skip all proofs. Adding in trig, lots of geometric constructions, real books, projects, writing assignments, etc., will make it an alternate, rather than easier, course.

You should be able to find some free Euclid lessons on geometric constructions free online. If you have been studying any Greek, it's fun to do some math in Greek. My younger son and I enjoyed playing around with the Loeb Classic book on Greek math. There was a free website with vocabulary and grammar lessons for Euclid. I'll search for it later.

Edited by Hunter

Thanks for this everyone....I am researching. Does anyone have an opinion for Lifepacs Geometry?

I don't know what their Geometry is like, but my ds disliked the Lifepacs! He said they were dry and boring... So, take that for what it's worth! :001_smile:

I don't know what the current life pacs are like, but my son used some of the CLE Geometry which was based off of Alpha Omega Geometry and it was a rigorous course and only more rigorous because of it's brevity, not less. We switched from the CLE diploma program to American School so didn't finish the Geometry. We did finish the Algebra, but that was only as a review after having completed Saxon and some of another book. That was 10 years ago though...so...I'm not sure what either publisher is like now.

Brief does NOT make a course easy! It is the opposite, usually.