Menu

Good authors to write to?

Has anyone had a response from an author your child wrote to? My boys like to write to authors-I think we've had a response from 1 out of 4. They love to get some kind of response. (Ds recieved a newsletter from Dav Pilkey).

Jen

DD wrote to JK Rowlings and received a form letter and photo in response. She was thrilled!

The best thing was when DD (then 8y/o) wrote American Girl company with schematics and drawings of a new doll, profile, accessories, etc with a sweet letter. They personally wrote her back included her drawings and said they hoped someday she might consider working for their company when she finishes college :) We were so proud of her enterprising efforts--it was all her work. I didn't even help address the letter.

There are authors and companies which embrace children!

Jean Craighead George (My Side of the Mountain) gives her email at her website. My son once emailed her. It took her a month or so to respond (she states that she is busy and cannot always respond when on tours), but she did send a personal note, responding to the contents of my son's email. I thought it was lovely.

Jane

My oldest wrote to Jack Stockman last year (illustrator of the Tales of the Kingdom books) and got a really nice, personal reply along with a blank book encouraging him to write and illustrate his own story. It was really cool!