Menu

spanish online...is it hard

Are you looking into fulfilling the high school language requirement or you would really have him learn Spanish as well as he can?

If the latter, I do think you need to consider some serious supplementing, especially if his course will be RS-based. I would look into some more traditional, grammar-based courses (not necessarily as a spine, but as a supplement, sure) AND I would look into additional ways he can incorporate Spanish into his daily life to enhance learning (how about starting with films in Spanish, music, reading Spanish newspapers, etc.)? The key is to get a solid base, but find a way to use it.

My girls both took Spanish from Veritas Press. The teacher Mrs. Pliego is fabulous, very excited about teaching and has them writing stories in spanish by the end of the first yr. They use BJU. IT was not easy, they had to work hard, but not impossible by any means either. A very solid spanish class!

I have had two dss take SpanishI through The Potters School. The teacher, Sra. Alfaro, was fantastic and they both did well even though they are different learners. They had class once a week for 1 1/2 hrs. The first level of a foreign lang is a lot of vocab memorization, so online was fine. Spanish II was a lot harder and I found that the boys did better with a live class, more than once a week, as the language got harder.

HTH

My daughter is finishing up Spanish 1 from Oklahoma State University.

It is a very demanding class but she has learned a ton and is extremely well prepared for Spanish 2.

:iagree: In addition to the daily online work, Senora Klopp spent a minimum of 30 min. on the phone with my daughter every week, making sure she understood all new concepts.

My daughter is finishing up Spanish 1 from Oklahoma State University.

It is a very demanding class but she has learned a ton and is extremely well prepared for Spanish 2.

We've been very happy with OSU Spanish. DS is halfway through Spanish 2 right now and I'm still impressed.

I have had two dss take SpanishI through The Potters School. The teacher, Sra. Alfaro, was fantastic and they both did well even though they are different learners. They had class once a week for 1 1/2 hrs. The first level of a foreign lang is a lot of vocab memorization, so online was fine. Spanish II was a lot harder and I found that the boys did better with a live class, more than once a week, as the language got harder.

HTH

Glad to hear this! My dd is taking Spanish 1 at TPS in the fall! They've added an optional second session each week for a language lab, which she will take too. (Begins 2nd semester for Spanish 1 and goes all year for higher levels.)

My girls both took Spanish from Veritas Press. The teacher Mrs. Pliego is fabulous, very excited about teaching and has them writing stories in spanish by the end of the first yr. They use BJU. IT was not easy, they had to work hard, but not impossible by any means either. A very solid spanish class!

About how much time on the non class days did they have to spend on homework?