Menu

Which reading list/log forms do your dc use?

Aloha2U

I've been pretty lax about my little man keeping a reading list/log, but I want to make sure we keep track of what he reads this upcoming school year (2nd grade). That said, the perfectionist in me can't decide how I want my little man to list/log the books he reads. There are two book list forms that I'm considering using on Donna Young's site (the Reading List and the Chapter Book), but I think I'll most likely just end up making my own form(s).

With all that said, what do your book list forms look like and how do your dc use them? Do have your dc list each book they've read... only once (when it's been completed), every day (even if they read one chapter today and one chapter tomorrow, so that one book may be entered several times on a list with different dates & chapters logged in)... or do they have separate lists for each chapter book? Do you use more than one form... such as one for history, one for leisure, etc.? Where do you keep the reading list/log, perhaps next to a chore list or in a history/language arts binder?

I'm sure I must be overthinking this, but I can't decide how I want to keep track of his readings. I sure could use some suggestions here. Anyone care to share?

:bigear:

Edited by NCAmusings

There have been times when I've wanted to work on diversity in the genres, so I made a blank reading list with each genre and instructed her to fill in and complete by the end of the week. Other years I've done something fun like punch colored circles with the die cutter and write the titles of books as she read them and staple to make a "bookworm." Some years I've kept a reading list that I just sort of wrote as she put the books away, nothing fancy.

At this point I don't keep lists. I suppose some do, but I don't. I don't even write down necessarily a specific reading list for the year. Usually I just put the books I'm planning for her to read (for history, for lit, whatever) on a shelf and draw from them as needed. When they're done, they reshelve elsewhere.

I guess I'm saying you should figure out what your goals are for the list and how important it is to you. If it's not important, just drop. If it is important, figure out whether you're trying to make it fun or just efficient and chose from there.

My dc have a few pages in their planners that they record books read on. My little guy is the most diligent about it. He loves to keep lists. :001_smile: Their forms just have a spot for the title, author, and date completed. My older girls keep journals from their readings, but the form is plenty for ds. They include all the nonfiction they read for school, as well as books read for pleasure (fiction or non.)

I had a teacher one year in elementary school who had us keep a list of all the books we read, and I loved it. I still have it! It is such a great feeling to see how much you have read. :001_smile:

I am just using the log in Homeschool Tracker. It allows me to enter the date he starts and the date he finishes (same with our read-alouds that I read...I enter when we start and when we finish them). He may want to keep his own list at some point, and I will leave it up to him as far as which kind he wants to use. He's still mostly reading shorter 'chapter' books like Frog & Toad and the like so he still has some time before he will use one.

I would possibly have him use the chapter book one to 'turn in' to me when he's finished and then I will track the start and finish date in HS Tracker, then just file his log with that weeks files.

I guess I'm saying you should figure out what your goals are for the list and how important it is to you. If it's not important, just drop. If it is important, figure out whether you're trying to make it fun or just efficient and chose from there.

Very good points. Thank you for helping to bring this into perspective.

My dc have a few pages in their planners that they record books read on. My little guy is the most diligent about it. He loves to keep lists. :001_smile: Their forms just have a spot for the title, author, and date completed. My older girls keep journals from their readings, but the form is plenty for ds. They include all the nonfiction they read for school, as well as books read for pleasure (fiction or non.)

I had a teacher one year in elementary school who had us keep a list of all the books we read, and I loved it. I still have it! It is such a great feeling to see how much you have read. :001_smile:

This may very well be what I end up doing. It'll be interesting to see if my little man likes to keep lists too, just like his mama. ;)

Thank you for your feedback, ladies!

:001_smile: Melissa

I'm hoping to have the older boys use GoodReads.com (it's free and I think doing a little 'review' will be fun and profitable for them). I'll probably put my records in HST+, but it's my first year using that program.

Oh, I forgot to mention Goodreads! I use Goodreads and LibraryThing to help keep track of the shorter books that DS reads. All of his easy readers have gone there so far any any other picture books and things. I love the idea of eventually letting HIM keep track though! I will have to keep that in mind!

We do a table in word with 10 rows per page. IT has the title, number of pages and date completed. I attempt to get the nonfiction books in but mostly its the fiction books. Its great for them to see how many books they read a year. Always more than 100 (and easy to calculate if 10/pg).

We're starting ds 2nd grade now to get him excited about reading chapter books. I used to add a column for # of chapters but quickly got rid of that after a year. Its more neat to see # of pages.

I was recently thinking about this. I want to keep track so I know for when my younger kids get to the same age I have that record. I honestly don't see how you could with picture books we have read sooo many. Maybe only with chapter books?

So of the places mentioned what are the benefits of using them?

We use these: http://www.thehomeschoolshop.com/sh-reading.htm

I have them log it once it's completed.

I really like this idea! Thank you for sharing! I just showed it to my little man and I'm happy to say that he likes the idea too! Yay! I believe I'd like him to do this over book reports right now.

Which brings a new question to mind. If, when, and how do you have your dc do book reports. I see that VP recommends Evan-Moor's How to Report on Books series. (Is this similar to the reading log book?)

:bigear: