Menu

DD going to camp... Tell me how/what to label

I never went to camp. I'm a bit clueless here, and need the wisdom of those who have BTDT.

"Label your child's belongings."

So... how do you interpret this? Do I need her name on her toothbrush or just the toothbrush case? The toothpaste? Socks? Underwear? Shoes? Towels? (How?)

:bigear:

Sharpie. Everything. I was compulsive but first initial, last name on all. Inside somewhere not obvious works for shoes, underwear, clothing and the like. Doesn't have to be obvious but best to have it there! Have fun!!

Sharpie. Everything. I was compulsive but first initial, last name on all. Inside somewhere not obvious works for shoes, underwear, clothing and the like. Doesn't have to be obvious but best to have it there! Have fun!!

This. Having a unique last name helps ;)

My dd just came back from camp and we labelled everything...toothbrush, underwears, towels, shoes, etc etc. If you have a case for the toothbrush, label that too. We used a sharpie on most things....dd wrote her initials on all things (wherever she can find space). For towels, we wrote her intials on the tiny "washing direction" sheet attached to the towel. I am sure some might have better ways but we just took the easy way out :0)

HTH.

Julia

My dd just came back from camp and we labelled everything...toothbrush, underwears, towels, shoes, etc etc. If you have a case for the toothbrush, label that too. We used a sharpie on most things....dd wrote her initials on all things (wherever she can find space). For towels, we wrote her intials on the tiny "washing direction" sheet attached to the towel. I am sure some might have better ways but we just took the easy way out :0)

HTH.

Julia

We use the sharpie method. But we also use the "it is so old and ugly that I won't care if it returns or not' method for things like towels and sheets. I don't send anything of much value. Even clothes. DS diesn't seem to mind.

We use the sharpie method. But we also use the "it is so old and ugly that I won't care if it returns or not' method for things like towels and sheets. I don't send anything of much value. Even clothes. DS diesn't seem to mind.

YES YES YES===do NOT send anything that is priceless, valuable, or a favorite item. I always figured that camp clothes/towels/etc. were "disposable" as often they didnt' come home. I would even send an older Bible along with a less responsible child so that their "good" one wouldn't be lost, get wet, etc.

We've been doing camp for several years. A few special items DO go to camp. Depending on the kid, we've sent special blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, journals, Bibles, cameras, etc. Since these things we want to see again, we label them.

We also label water bottles because often another kid there will have an identical one. Eww, don't want to catch cooties. They keep their toiletries in a little zippered pouch and maybe the pouch is labeled, maybe not -- depends if the kid takes time to label it. And, we often label jackets because they are probably the one item that tends to get lost and then missed by the kiddo.

It's not a bad idea to bring a sharpie to label things that they acquire at camp from the camp store or from a care package that arrived there. Often camps will give their campers identical tee shirts on the first day and those are good to label right away.

Otherwise, we don't bother labeling.

Most camps hold up found items at the last assembly (meal, etc.) and most kids will claim their jackets and such.

Even if you label everything else, I would really, really consider NOT putting names in underwear. The last thing you need is to have a pair of skivvies that were worn three days straight (hey, the kids DO have so much fun that they do sort of forget to change them daily -- you'll see two dirty pairs and five clean pairs when they come home) being held up in the chapel while the camp director announces, "Oh, these with the Superman logo look to belong to Mortimer Snerd, and, Mortimer, your mom might want to use bleach on these." And you don't need some nerd from the cooking crew to see your daughter's name and discover that your little Broonhilde wears a 36C. So, leave the names off the underwear and tell your child that if her bra or his briefs are held up during final assembly s/he is under no obligation to claim them and that s/he can giggle just as much as the other kids; you will gladly purchase new ones later.

Of course, I don't really think they'd hold up a lost pair of boxers but it still would be embarrassing to have some camp staff member to discreetly hand you your well-worn undies. Ugh.

As for towels and such, we've got some really old ones that we simply wrote our last names in and they go to camp year after year. They are the horrible ones that we put down over the carpeting when someone has a tummyache.

The best policy is to try to send things that it is okay to lose or ruin.

Edited by Bassoonaroo