Menu

Need new cookware..Any suggestions?

We would like to replace our cookware. We do not want a non stick coating, have a ceramic cooktop, and would ideally like an American product. Any ideas or suggestions?

P.S. We are willing to spend a more but expect to keep them for many, many years.

I believe some All-Clad is made in the USA, as well as some Caphalon ONE.

Nordicware is American made, and some of their specialty cookware looks interesting (cookware doesn't seem to be their main focus).

You couldn't go too wrong with this :drool:

http://www.amazon.com/Clad-Copper-Core-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B000MI3BD8/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1310240459&sr=1-6

Calphalon has discontinued One. I traded my whole collection of One (100% failure rate) for their Tri-ply stainless and have been very pleased.

Wow, I'm not a fan of anodized in general, but I wouldn't expect failure. How did it fail?

I think the tri ply is MIC.

I agree with AllClad. Go all stainless, no teflon (bad bad bad). But don't buy the set - pick and choose your pieces based on what you use and then you won't have expensive pieces of cookware lying about taking up space, and then you can have 2 12" skillets if you regularly use them instead of that little butter melting pot that you may never use (or whatever your case may be :))

I'll second Le Creuset. I have two French ovens -- one smaller, one larger -- and I use at least one of them (and often both) every day. I love,love, love them. :)

I love Le Creuset, too, but I have worn my out. I got an AMAzing deal in school when a woman got two identical sets for a wedding present and I got 5 pots for 30 dollars. The dutch over slipped from the cabinet to the floor (5 inches) and cracked, the fry pan lost its non-stick tendencies through roughening of the surface through use, etc. Granted they lasted 5- 10 years, and I have one pot perfect for rice I ONLY use wooden spoons on, and it has lasted 21 years (this was the amazing pot hubby gave the lid away to, and he refound it months later at the Goodwill he'd dropped it off at after suffering my slings and arrows). BUT the All Clad I will probably have until I die.

Wow, I'm not a fan of anodized in general, but I wouldn't expect failure. How did it fail?

I think the tri ply is MIC.

It may be. Honestly, I'm not sure how much steel we produce any more, let alone consumer goods.

I had one de-anodize (the inside went to bare, pitted silver - it never had acidic food cooked in it), one was nonstick and the coating flaked off in chunks, one developed a rounded bottom. We aren't particularly hard on cookware; I actually have some Revereware pans I've had for nearly 20 years and a Finnish enameled pot my mother got in the 60s. Pots, knives and wooden implements are hand washed.

I should also say that Calphalon was reticent about exchanging the pieces. Bed, Bath and Beyond, however, swapped them out without batting an eye.

I'm going to be the lone dissenter and say to go for Le Cruset. I get an upper body workout every single time I make Shepherd's Pie. :D

My dad has a set of Le Creuset fry pans impregnated with silverstone. I have never seen anything like them, and they are fantastic. One had gotten weird inside with hard use, so he sanded it and it's like new.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I agree with AllClad. Go all stainless, no teflon (bad bad bad). But don't buy the set - pick and choose your pieces based on what you use and then you won't have expensive pieces of cookware lying about taking up space, and then you can have 2 12" skillets if you regularly use them instead of that little butter melting pot that you may never use (or whatever your case may be :))

I agree . . . every word! We started this process about 12 years ago and have not regretted it.