Menu

Kitchen Remodel

We bought our current home almost 6 years ago, and the kitchen (AKA closet) was, at the time the first thing on our to-do list, and we had some money set aside at closing. . .

And then, we had a waterfall in our dining room (not intended), a gas leak, other roof leaks. . .DH decided to retire from the military and completely change careers, which required 2 years intensive study (and no income).

The kitchen will require a major remodel (structure!) We had a guy come over last night, and it's looking like it's a doable project in the near future (about a month).

Which means, I'm hitting planning mode, and the main thing I'm going to have to plan for 6 weeks is meals -- without a kitchen. I will have access to the frig, microwave, crock-pot and grill. (Oh, and a small freezer downstairs.)

Sandwiches and salads are NOT big in my family. Oh, I know we're going to have to bite the bullet, but I'm hoping for some help??? Would it be worth it to buy something else (hot-plate / dutch oven / something?) Any recipes or ideas you wanna share???

Anything?? (desperation and pleading in my voice)

Well with two teen boys to boot, you're going to be busy being creative! :)

We did a kitchen remodel and honestly, we ate out too much...just easier, not only are you dealing with construction but all the dust that comes with it...

I would use your crock pot often, grill most things (boys love meat), and possibly buy an updated toaster oven, many will heat pizzas and such...you could do sides in here...

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOB-155-Toaster-Stainless-Black/dp/B000PYISIW/ref=pd_sbs_k_6

Enjoy your new kitchen!!

I would get an electric skillet. Here's the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-38500-Skillet-Combination/dp/B00004X132/ref=sr_1_14?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1310223994&sr=1-14

It has a flat part but also a pan part for sauces and stuff. I love mine! I use it a lot for traveling so that we don't have to eat out a lot.

hth!

You can invest in a hot plate or single burner to help with cooking. I would do a small toaster oven to bake some things - but then you have to make sure it will hold your baking dishes.

Someone I know was telling how during her kitchen remodel she would visit her sister every 3 or 4 days to make 'real food' that she souldn't make at home. She would bring it home and they would reheat it as meals for the next few days.

This thread has me thinking. We are looking to do a remodel in the (hopefully) near future as well.

Perhaps freezer meals are a possibility- stuff that you can microwave.

There are a lot more things one can fix on the grill than you would think. It can be used in lieu of an oven, in a pinch (especially if it is a covered gas grill).

Soups and stews work well in the crockpot. Maybe you can prepare them now, and freeze them in freezer bags (I'd double them up in case of leaks).

Maybe one of those "dinner franchises", where you make a month's worth of meals will be helpful? The Flylady's friend Leanne also offers freezer meal packages (savingdinner.com). I've used a few of her menus in the past.

Just tossing some more ideas out there. :001_smile: Hope some of them help you.

I agree with the freezer meal idea. That's what we did when we remodeled our kitchen. Meatloaf, lasagna, sloppy joe, BBQ beef or pork, (we did do some sandwiches) were made up ahead of time and heated in the microwave. We also ate out a little more and bought more convenience food like chicken nuggets which were heated up in a toaster oven. I like the soup idea too and of course grilling out.

right. . .

Guess I forgot to say some things that are worth mentioning.

It's 90 degrees today; we don't have A/C. We are talking about a remodel in August, which tends to be our hottest month. So, soup. . .isn't our best option. (Which is really too bad, as I have a lot of cold weather crock-pot meals.)

I did consider freezer meals (I've never done them before). I guess my big question is how would it heat up in a microwave? I didn't mention the size of my family before (or the sheer quantity they eat), but this will be something to consider in the food plan. Maybe family dinners are going to have to go by the wayside.

We have a charcoal grill. Hubby is very traditional in cooking on the grill (only meats, and only "typical" meats -- bbq or burgers). I'm willing to be creative, but I need ideas / recipes as I'm not a fly by the seat of my pants chef.

I think I'm going to have a re-train myself. I only see microwaves as a re-heater, and a popcorn maker. I need my "box" reconstructed. . .

My closest family member is 300 miles away, so going to cook at their house isn't an option.

However, a lot of ideas I will need to look into more, so please keep them coming.

We are doing a remodel right now. We've started gutting the kitchen, but so far everything functional remains. By the 25th of July, it needs to be stripped to the studs.

We're not sandwich people either.

I'm also certain that with dh commuting an hour to work and putting in 12 hrs/7 days, we won't be bundling our family into the car to go out to eat much.

I have a grill, plenty of propane + a temporary kitchen in the living room.

At least we will have the fridge. I'm thinking a good stock of Mike's will help. (It'll help me anyway. :D)

ETA: My grill is a GAS grill. Unless you're skilled, being a charcoal purist + kitchen remodel = cranky hungry teens. I'm not skilled...

I have a Cuisinart Griddler. It can do panini sandwiches, but it can also cook meats and veggies on the grill plates and you can open it and reverse the plates to flat and make eggs, bacon or sausage, pancakes, hash browns, etc.

I also use our Cuisinart toaster oven. It's fairly large inside but doesn't take up much space.