Menu

5th grade geography??

I'm looking at options for 5th grade as I'll be making my purchases this December when we are back home. So, I'm wondering if we should take a year off of the history cycle and spend a year on geography. Then, we'll pick up the cycle again in 6th, possibly using SL Core 6, 7 and then 100. So I'm wondering what is out there to teach geography for 5th grade?

I'm also considering using MOH 5th-8th grade and then doing a year of geography using Runkles before moving onto Omnibus. Do you think this would be a better option?

Any BTDT advice or feedback is welcome as I'm just trying to think about all the possibilities for 5th :). Thanks!

I just spent some time last week looking over Runkles--I let my son use it in high school as a supplementary text for Physical Geog. I think it's well done (tho I wouldn't use it for high school now--more of a middle school text for sure) and interesting. If I were crafting a geography course from it, I'd want to add some cultural geog to it--maybe cooking projects, myths and legends, a touch of religion, an internet-based bit on landmarks and famous art/architecture...

I am thinking of doing it in 8th grade--we will be homeschooling again for at least 7th and 8th, and probably doing Moderns in 7th, but I don't want to restart Ancients in 8th as they will do that in ps high school 9th grade (9th and 10th are World History 1 and 2).

SO...

I think Runkles would be good in 6th, or you could just do it as your science course along with Sonlight 6/7/100 and restart the 4 year cycle in 9th.

My Father's World has Exploring Countries and Cultures. Winterpromise has Children Around the World. Crazy me that I am, I am doing a combination of the two (plus I am heading up a co-op this coming year on geography). I like Winterpromise's World Travel Diary, as it has fun photos to cut and paste into your diary at set points. MFW's ECC will be my base. I am looking forward to the year. Voice of the Martyrs has some neat downloadable Activity Guides for different countries for kids, as well.

I think spending a year on geography can be a fun idea!

Blessings,

Brenda

I suggest continuing with your history cycle, just at a slower pace. Add in geography. We alternate a week of history, then a week of geography (usually related but not always) and then a week of history, and back to geography the next week, and so on. That way, the geography ties directly to the history studies. We can stay in our history cycle, which I like because I think studying history chronologically is important. But we get geography in, too, which is also important.

I am using a book called Great States! from the Teaching Learning Company for part of our geography this year. I used the maps from Enchanted Learning, crayola coloring pages for my younger, and my own notebooking pages to round things out.

I was very impressed with Great States book. It has all of the facts, extra pages of interesting info, maps, some activites and ideas for learning more.

Thanks guys, I'll look at the suggestions you've made.

Perkybunch, I was thinking about doing this by using the Trail Guide Series once a week.

Decisions, decisions...

We are currently doing this, very lightly, once a week or even every other week. I had hoped to coordinate it with living books, but everything doesn’t have to be coordinated with books, does it? :lol: The internet works just fine as a supplement. I am sure I will add in a few living books here and there. Trail Guide to World Geography also schedules many other things that are enjoyable. You can pick and choose, of course. It ends with a nice unit study on Around the World in 80 Days. Love it.

At the moment we are in between years, finishing up a few things, and starting a few others....:thumbup1: Sigh...

With my 5th grader I am going to try use Evan Moore's Geography mixed in with History and I am going to try Our Child's Geography with both my kids (4th and 5th)

Did you mean A Child’s Geography? This looks pretty interesting. How long has this been on the market?