Menu

Ok..someone please decide for me!!!

4maybabies

I've been going crazy trying to decide what math to do with my dd7. She doesn't struggle with math...but things don't come easy either. Very average student. PLEASE take a look at these and tell me which one(s) to go with!! I have them all purchased already...:confused:

Rightstart B

Singapore

Math Mammoth

Abeka

I used Abeka for K with my dd. It seemed like an average curriculum to me. It was bright and colorful, which dd liked. It was easy to use and didn't crawl at a snail's pace, but it didn't seem speedy either. I did feel like dd got a solid math foundation when we did it. I haven't used the other programs listed so I can't compare Abeka with them. Maybe you could let her look through some of the workbooks and see if one catches her eye in particular.

Is this your first year hsing her? If not, it might be helpful to know what you used last year and why you thinking of switching.

Our experience with these programs:

Abeka - Used 1st and 3rd grades - stopped in the middle of 3rd grade after I realized my dd was memorizing formulas and getting correct answers but did not understand what she was doing.

Singapore - Really like how concepts are taught; Started too late in the series for me to catch on well enough how to teach it; Would definitely use one of the extra practice books if used again

Rightstart B - Really like how concepts are taught; Teacher intensive; Took too large of a leap in concepts midway for my dd

Math Mammoth - Like how concepts are taught; Can add manipulatives, if needed; Good combination of traditional and programs like RightStart or Singapore. I wrote a short blog post about it earlier this school year.

Oy, we had a year of math-merry-go-round! Singapore worked great for us for K and 1, but in 2 it was a TOTAL flop... We got partway into 2B before we gave up and went to Saxon. We completed about half of that and, well, bleah. Finally, we got Math Mammoth and it's been great! We're finishing up the first half of 2nd grade and hope to zoom through 2B this fall. I hope this continues to work well for us!