Menu

HELP

chadzwife

How DOES one go about teaching kids 2 years apart? If I wait till 7yo for the older one (instead of 6yo) to start the 1st history/science cycle, then my younger one will still be only FIVE years old and my 7yo will probably be biting at the chomp the year before. <sigh>

Yeah, I COULD do a half year each of biology at age 6 and then 7 but will my 5yo REALLY get anything out of it the 2nd half? NTM--copying sentences and dictating to me and the other stuff beyond reading the spine to them.

Then when we get to the next level, having one at Logic level and one still at grammar level but he's done all the grammar level HST/SCI already but he's definitely too young to do the logic level thinking...and the older one will not be waiting on the younger one, believe me...I think she's gifted probably actually. <sigh>

then you get to Rhetoric with one ...

do you just go back and re-do the logic/rhetoric level requirements for the 2 yrs of the cycle/s the younger one didn't do?????? (this doesn't seem reasonable to me) Or just keep dragging her along---and have her done 2 years "early" too... :confused:

Mine are two years apart. We are finishing up first grade this year for my oldest and my youngest just turned five...so, 2nd and K next year.

Basically I just have my youngest sit in on History and Science. He is a hands on, can't sit still type of kid and enjoys doing the projects. I don't expect anything from him at this point as I know he will get it two more times around. He likes listening, coloring, mapping, experimenting, ect., but I don't expect him to really retain anything, even though he surprises me quite often.

I do plan to use TOG for history the next time around so it'll be easier to have two at different levels. When my oldest hits high school, I am thinking about using Omnibus so history will then be split up. (That is the plan, but it will probably change.) As for science, I am making my own plans to go along with our nature studies so I am able to tailor the information to match their needs (they also have different leaning styles).

Hope this helps!

I have twin boys 8yo that are almost 2 years older than their sister 6yo. Although because of their birthdays and the fact that the younger was learning to read already they are only one grade apart. I started Ancients when the youngest was in K and the boys in 1st. She listened to the stories (we did SOTW) and did the coloring/map pages with us as well as any projects we did, sat on the couch for more historical fiction picture books, and such. I did not have her do any of the review questions unless she wanted to and no narrations. I think it worked out just fine. If she finishes early then she can use the extra year to take a civics course or something. I think you should try to keep them on the same cycle of history for your own sanity. HTHs! :D

Thanks for all the replies. Gives me something to think about :mellow: .

Ya think I woulda already had this all figured out, these are my 4th and 5th kids---the others are all oldsters though (I'm a grandma) and I didn't classically HS them when little...

-been given another chance, gonna do it this RIGHT this time ;)

(an hey...if the LORD allows, I will HS my grandbaby, she's only a few months younger than her Aunt Promysse---nope, notta a chance her mommy & daddy will :crying:)

helene

My kids are 2 years apart & we do most subjects combined using Sonlight. It's not a strict 4 year rotation, but I know some people use it that way. We get so much out of doing subjects together, it's wonderful. And the books are really great for a range of ages, so they are appropriate for both to learn from and enjoy.

Merry :-)

When they're young, you're just introducing them to ideas and stories; they get it again deeper when they go through it again, so it's okay if the younger one doesn't catch everything the first time through.

My middle two are 19 months apart, and my youngest is 23 months younger than his sister. It's worked out really well, my dd has always been "mature" for her age, so she was able to keep up way better than I had imagined, and actually, they do everything at pretty much the same grade level. I always thought my youngest would need to do his own thing, but even at 3 he was keeping up and listening much better than I had expected. You'll be surprised by how much the younger sibs soak in.

I'm using WinterPromise and plan to combine my boys who are 3.5 years apart in age. They offer Older Learner Guides for some of their programs, or have two versions of some programs, so it makes it a no-brainer to combine big gaps. It's what I love most about the company.