Menu

Have you ever gone camping...

And wished you didn't come home after?

We went camping for 9 nights. It was lovely. Evening walks at the lake, lots of places to go and things to do.

We would love to just live out of a camper... a la Promised Land (the old TV show) or very similar.

But, alas, we cannot.

So does anyone else wish this? I am seriously longing to camp again. It was so simple, not all the crud I have stuffed in my house, not as much clean up. There were showers and restrooms within seconds of the campsite. Kids got to play outside all day, we could even do schoolwork outside!

*sigh*

We're considering it after dh finishes his degree. He'll probably have to do a bunch of 1 to 2 year stints as an assistant prof before he finds a tenure-track position, so we've considered just paring down and living in a camper while he teaches. We're still researching the logistics of this, though.

There are a couple families I have heard of who do this full time (or something similar). Here are a few blogs to check out:

3 Kids and a Caravan

The Last Frontier

Away We Go (hasn't been updated in a few years, though)

And here's a list of families homeschooling on boats.

I am SOOOO with you, Rachel!!!! I feel the exact same way! I love how the entire "house" when you are camping can be cleaned, dinnner made, dishes washed in a couple of hours! You have the rest of the day to enjoy your kids, nature, yourself WITHOUT THE GUILT of seeing all the things you still need to do!!!!

I LOVE sitting out on the picnic table in the fresh air doing school. We have a pop-up camper. I love cuddling with the kids in the bed reading stories. I love taking walks, riding bikes, sitting by the fire. Being out in nature brings a deep peace inside me like nothing else does. I don't have a phone, internet or TV to demand my time. I know, I know, I could get rid of these things at home, but I can't seem to bring myself to do that!:tongue_smilie:

I have often dreamed of how nice it would be to just live at this wonderful campground that is near us. Our favorite site is just across a quaint, little bridge to a camp store with all the goodies we'd ever need. There are bike trails all over the place. It is on the lake. Just beautiful!

This kind of thinking has caused me and my dh to start daydreaming about selling our house someday and building a small and simple log cabin out in the woods somewhere. Selling all the STUFF! Keeping things down to basics.

......ahhhhh......the dream......:)

And wished you didn't come home after?

We went camping for 9 nights. It was lovely. Evening walks at the lake, lots of places to go and things to do.

We would love to just live out of a camper... a la Promised Land (the old TV show) or very similar.

But, alas, we cannot.

So does anyone else wish this? I am seriously longing to camp again. It was so simple, not all the crud I have stuffed in my house, not as much clean up. There were showers and restrooms within seconds of the campsite. Kids got to play outside all day, we could even do schoolwork outside!

*sigh*

Yes, the longest we've camped was 21 days in a row (different campsites, but all in Florida) and I felt we could have stayed there forever. The longest we've been on the road has been 2 months, but that was a combo of camping (mostly) and some motels.

Hubby and I plan to sell everything and live in a Class B motorhome sometime in the fairly near future. I want to get at least my middle son in college first - possibly both younger boys.

The older I get, the LESS I want and the EASIER I want it. And we absolutely love nature.

Four summers ago we spent 5 weeks living out of a conversion van with a tent travelling all over the western US camping. I could have done it forever. I love to travel, see things, and meet new people. I love the simpleness of life...no computer or TV. I love not quite knowing where we'll end up or what the day will bring. We had so many adventures and experiences that we shared as a family.

So, yes....I have felt like that. Unfortunately there is real life and we have to work to pay for it.

I spent my entire summers (plus weekends in the spring and fall) in a tiny trailer with my parents and two sisters from the time I was 3 until I was 17. Dh and I took the kids to a campground reunion 2 years ago, and they all fell in love with the place.

If it was in the budget, we'd be spending our summers there. If it were legal to make it a permanent residence, I think we'd try it for a year or two, but I don't think winter schooling would go well.

We have kicked around the idea of sticking a camping trailer on some acreage while building a house, but I came up with way too many expenses when making it my "ideal" scenario, lol.