Menu

What would you say this song is about?

I don't hear sexual in this song. I'd be more sad that she knew of Katy Perry and how little I think of her from what little I've seen of her. This song is just the typical helping-the-egos out some more (as if they aren't already bigger than the New Year's blimp in MOST cases among this generation).

But, as for the orgasmic-breathy singing.....have you listened to modern "Christian radio" /religious "pop" music lately with all the groany, breathy, sensual songs sung to Yahweh, the Lord of Hosts lately? These songs and soloist are in a pre-O sound quite regularly --- I guess their worship has just lifted this to such an echelon of "release". The TONE of much of those songs, IMO, sound like what you'd sing (different words of course)to a lover. And, sure we're supposed to think that they are on such a plane with the Almighty and that they are so "in love with" Jesus, but to me personally, it's quite irreverent, thus we don't listen to it anymore. Not that I know your religious stances, but --- even among Christians, the music has a sexual quality IMO in many of the more popular praise songs on the radio.

So.....it's everywhere!

But.....I've gone a chased a rabbit here......but, the OP's oh oh oh comment brought this to mind.

Wow. I have been waiting to find someone who understands my thoughts about so much of Christian music. I can hardly stand to listen to most of it. My dd and I call it "Jesus is my boyfriend" music.

I agree. I don't even listen to Christian pop music anymore.

As for Katy Perry, I don't think this particular song is sexual.

Am I seeing things when I think it has a definite sexual subtext?

I wish you hadn't put that line in, or at least not separated by several spaces. It was hard to listen to the song for the first time, objectively, without having the idea in mind that it might have a sexual tone. My best guess, and it is a guess, since I was predisposed to think that it does have a tone, is that no, the song doesn't mean that unless you want it to.

We don't listen to most 'pop' music...because 8x out of 10 it does have some sexual or otherwise lesser character lesson...don't get me wrong, sex is great, but to sexualize our youth is not.

Oh, I agree. But these songs come via the neighborhood kids who sing them to each other. Then dd9 comes home singing them.

But, as for the orgasmic-breathy singing.....have you listened to modern "Christian radio" /religious "pop" music lately with all the groany, breathy, sensual songs sung to Yahweh, the Lord of Hosts lately? These songs and soloist are in a pre-O sound quite regularly --- I guess their worship has just lifted this to such an echelon of "release". The TONE of much of those songs, IMO, sound like what you'd sing (different words of course)to a lover. And, sure we're supposed to think that they are on such a plane with the Almighty and that they are so "in love with" Jesus, but to me personally, it's quite irreverent, thus we don't listen to it .

:iagree: UGH... The "Jesus is my lover" songs give me the creeps.