Menu

Should I Haggle for a Discount? Should I Change Shops?

Should I Haggle for a Discount?  

1. 1. Should I Haggle for a Discount?

• This is normal policy. Pay your bill with no comment.
    • This is normal policy but it wouldn't hurt to say something.
    • This is abnormal but haggling doesn't pay. Just change shops.
    • This is abnormal. Insist on a discount.
    • Other.

We had the fuel pump in our 15 passenger van replaced after it completely died on us at an intersection. This was in March. It cost $880.

We took our van back to the same shop on Friday because it was not accelerating correctly. It turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. The part is under warranty. However they are charging us $350 for the labor.

This makes me :crying::cursing::crying::banghead::crying:

Several years ago the radiator went out in our Suburban. We had it replaced while on vacation and amazingly enough when it died several months later we had moved to the same place and had the same shop look at it. They replaced it for free. No labor charge. No nothing.

The only reason we changed shops is because this new place is within walking distance of our house and that is incredibly convenient when dealing with sick cars. We've been happy with their service thus far. I am now thinking we should have stuck with the other shop.

I am not a confrontational person but could muster up *something* when $350 is on the line. Is it unreasonable to expect the labor to be free in this situation especially since so little time has passed? I certainly have no control on where they buy their parts or on their method of quality control. Obviously someone has to *eat* it in this situation. And I hate that it's me. :tongue_smilie:

I'm wondering if it's normal policy to guarantee the parts but not the labor. I'm seriously considering going back to our old auto shop.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Poll to come.

Can you call the 'old' shop and see how they would handle it and what the labor costs would be? And then call this place and negotiate with the manager. These places have workers paid by the jobs they do and they are not going to give up labor cost if it's a mechanic but the company/manager can give up something in this instance. Cars are a royal pain sometimes.

As the owner of a shop (not typical repair-so a little different) I can give you the bottom line. The faulty pump isn't their fault. The pump manufacturer will (eventually) refund them for the pump (sometimes several months from now). The labor is time. They pay the employee to replace it...twice. Not fair for anyone. Who should pay? The employee---no way, the shop? well do that too many times and you are yesterday's news, the pump manufacturer--yes, but the warrenty plainly states "not gonna happen".

What we usually do in these circumstances is have the customer pay labor at half price and supplies at our cost. That way no one eats all of the costs. For us, a bad part means lots and lots of labor time (we build engines and you have to take the whole thing apart) so we try to be as fair as we can.

Lara

I think it's standard practice that the warranty covers parts but not labor. However, I'd ask to see the book that lists the time required to do your job and see how they come up with $350 in labor. We just replaced the fuel pump in our Corvette - but a shop told us the book listed the labor at 1.8 hours. Yours must require a LOT more time! Just make sure they're not gouging you for labor.

As the owner of a shop (not typical repair-so a little different) I can give you the bottom line. The faulty pump isn't their fault. The pump manufacturer will (eventually) refund them for the pump (sometimes several months from now). The labor is time. They pay the employee to replace it...twice. Not fair for anyone. Who should pay? The employee---no way, the shop? well do that too many times and you are yesterday's news, the pump manufacturer--yes, but the warrenty plainly states "not gonna happen".

What we usually do in these circumstances is have the customer pay labor at half price and supplies at our cost. That way no one eats all of the costs. For us, a bad part means lots and lots of labor time (we build engines and you have to take the whole thing apart) so we try to be as fair as we can.

Lara

It is standard to guarantee the part not the labor. My dh works in the car business and it's very typical when this happens.

It's not their fault the pump was faulty. You actually can ask about where they get their parts. There is no way for them to know if one is faulty.

It's an unfair situation, but I agree with Lara that it's not fair to the shop or the mechanic either to have to eat the cost.

I would ask if they would be willing to discount their labor.

Thank you everyone for your replies. It does sound like someone has to "eat" it. I'm going to ask if they would split the labor with us. I understand that they have to work double to re-install the fuel pump but now my dh has to work double to pay for it. And I sure hope it didn't break because it was installed improperly. :glare: