Menu

s/o: indoor activities for a 14 year old boy

Am I allowed to have a spin-off on my own thread? Ds14 is super allergic to the outdoors right now. That means he spends 90% of his time indoors. And that means that his time indoors is spent studying, reading, computer, legos, chores. 4 nights a week he will bike 15 min. to tae kwando and then will do tae kwando for 1 hour. 1 night a week he will swim (leisurely). I could take him/us to the Y to do some stuff there but I am somewhat limited by needing to get school done for 2 hours a day during the summer, yard work, housework etc. here. Barb says that he needs to be more active at home. Barb and others, any suggestions?

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Do you have a kinect or wii?

Any kind of exercise equipment, bike, trampoline, treadmill?

I make my ds6 run up and down the stairs when I need him to get rid of some energy.

No kinect or wii at this time.

Exercise equipment is stuff like an exercise ball, a balance ball, this thing like a wheel that you use to exercise your arms and abs and a Malibu pilates chair. We don't have the "normal" exercise equipment.

I'll watch this Jean. I posted looking for suggestions for my son with similar allergy issues not long ago. I don't feel I can do Wii and the like because his twin is negatively affected by media use to put it mildly. I'll be watching this thread. My son is younger so I feel what I do isn't going to be helpful to you--mine will chase his brother around for example even if it's up and down the hall. I will say that when it rains or similar (his allergies are pollen, grasses, etc.) so that outdoor allergens are temporarily lesser we take advantage. Is he interested enough in exercise that he would want and use some equipment? Do you have open space like a basement that can be used for really moving?

I'll watch this Jean. I posted looking for suggestions for my son with similar allergy issues not long ago. I don't feel I can do Wii and the like because his twin is negatively affected by media use to put it mildly. I'll be watching this thread. My son is younger so I feel what I do isn't going to be helpful to you--mine will chase his brother around for example even if it's up and down the hall. I will say that when it rains or similar (his allergies are pollen, grasses, etc.) so that outdoor allergens are temporarily lesser we take advantage. Is he interested enough in exercise that he would want and use some equipment? Do you have open space like a basement that can be used for really moving?

See - this boy has a problem with computer addiction. The computer use I mentioned is school (word processor) related. This is a big reason we don't have wii and kinect even though I know they operate differently - as in being active.

How about a job? Can he babysit? Chasing toddlers will get you moving. Work at a mom and pop pizza or ice cream place? Most places won't hire teens anymore, but some groceries will hire as early as 14. Dairy Queen hires at 14. I think Chick Fil A does too. And they love homeschoolers.

See - this boy has a problem with computer addiction. The computer use I mentioned is school (word processor) related. This is a big reason we don't have wii and kinect even though I know they operate differently - as in being active.

I will say that I hate video games... but we have both a Kinect and a wii (thank you grandpas!). My kids know that the only games I am likely to say yes to are the kinect or wii sports. In fact, I think we only have 1 or 2 xbox games that are not for the kinect. Kinect, especially is, or can be good exercise.

How about a job? Can he babysit? Chasing toddlers will get you moving. Work at a mom and pop pizza or ice cream place? Most places won't hire teens anymore, but some groceries will hire as early as 14. Dairy Queen hires at 14. I think Chick Fil A does too. And they love homeschoolers.

I've thought about having him volunteer at the library. He would absolutely love that.

I will say that I hate video games... but we have both a Kinect and a wii (thank you grandpas!). My kids know that the only games I am likely to say yes to are the kinect or wii sports. In fact, I think we only have 1 or 2 xbox games that are not for the kinect. Kinect, especially is, or can be good exercise.

Dd9 has been lobbying for a Kinect. Maybe we need to explore this as a Christmas present. . .

I think it's worth it if you do, its really fun & excercise and you can also play reguluar xbox games too.

We recently got one & the kids love it! :D

But see, that's why I'm not sure I'd want it - I don't want them to play regular xbox games (no judging of others who do - we just have computer addiction problems with ds). Got to do more research. . .

Instructional videos on something he's interested in? (Maybe drawing or a particular project or something for example).

Doing some sort of woodworking or other type of project in the basement.

Starting a blog or website and working on it.

Writing a book or collection of short stories.

Exchanging letters with a penpal.

Making something he can sell online.

Making use of various science or chemistry kits.

Learning to cook/cook different types of meals.

Volunteering or working indoors somewhere.

Hmm...that's all I've got for now!

For Social Activities:

Isn't there an indoor soccer? I'm sure I've heard of it LOL.

Book Clubs

He could start his own blog on whatever he's interested in

Microscope. LOL. 14year olds can have a lot of fun when they start thinking, they can come up with all sorts of interesting things to look at from dust to their own blood lol.

Online gaming either via a game station or computer. Theres lots of online games from life simulations to battles to text role playing, I'm sure theres something that suits both you & him.

Build a mighty project. Something like a full train set (with all those minitures and bits) from scratch. I used to fantasise about making a miniture full working theme park, alas I am poor at electronics lol.

:confused:nope, ideas stopped. :tongue_smilie:Hoped that helped some xxx

Is it possible to work with his enjoyment of computers, to channel this preference into a constructive or educational activity? I would suggest having him research a topic and set up a website on a free site (weebly, for instance). He could create a website about his favorite books or games, with reviews and possibly even a blog (if you are comfortable with that) about select topics. Alternatively, he could focus his website on some area of science or history that he is studying for schoolwork. This can be a creative way to get him interested in further research!

One other idea - how about PC games that are more educational? MS Flight Simulator can teach him a lot about flying an airplane, for instance. Another good choice might be the Civilization series of games, which teach quite a bit of history and geography in the game play process.