Menu

prima latina, what do I need?

lorrainejmc

I did buy the LC flashcard set when my older son did Prima. I was not thrilled with them. The print on them is too small, imho. And the cards are small, too, and difficult to "run through". It would be easy for you or your child to make homemade flashcards of probably much better quality.

I didn't even bother using them when younger son did Prima. We just reviewed vocab orally using the book only...no flashcards.

I think I've since thrown them away. :glare:

HTH!

Jetta

P.S. Of course, I'm assuming that Memoria hasn't improved the quality of the cards since I bought them 6 or 7 years ago. They may have...

They are certainly not needed but we enjoy having the dvd. It almost doubles you investment but it seems to make it easier to follow along.

For us, it's also part of our push toward independence for ds. And, I think he enjoys having someone other than mom or dad directing him.

We have another coming along so I justify the expense by dividing by two and then maybe recouping a bit on resale. I say that though I'd spend what is needed to make sure we do this right.

Jim

I am glad I bought the flashcards, and I am one who usually just makes my own instead of buying cards. They are good quality, better than index cards. Plus there are things on them that I wouldn't know to put on them. I could copy the vocab from the book, but the cards have different endings on them that I just wouldn't know. Plus they can be used w/Latina Christiana I and II.

We used the student book, T.M, C.D, and cards.

I had the kids make their own flash cards. They decorated them, too. It was "built in review" and they really liked that aspect of latin each week.

IMO, you can skip the flashcards until/unless you move onto LC I.

We used the TM, student book, and the DVD. I had the audio but only used it in the car as a review every 3-4 weeks. Since I had the DVD, I didn't use the audio as much as some said they relied on it.

I used the flashcards for LC1 but not Prima, and only because I got them as part of a used set. For Prima (even for LC1), you can get by with just the teacher book, if you're doing it orally. I felt more comfortable having the CD because I had no Latin background, but stopped listening to it before long as I became more sure of my own pronunciation. My 2nd has done it with pretty much just the student book - I have the teacher book, but the only thing I've used this time around were the reproducible tests. Everything that is in Prima comes up again in LC1, so don't worry too much about doing it "wrong" because you really can't.

I get DD to make her own vocabulary flashcards. I make flashcards for the practical Latin, prayer, pronunciation, and grammar. We do have the DVDs and like them - especially for the quick review at the start of each lesson. We play 'stump mommy' where DD quizzes me a couple times/week and I do the same to her.