Menu

Wedding Ideas?

I am getting married in November :). We are looking for ways to include our children. I have adopted 4 children. They have never had a dad in their lives until now, and my fiance will be adopting them too :). He has a young adult daughter from his first marriage. Any good ideas to include them in our ceremony in a simple, creative way that shows our marriage is also the coming together of our families?

Could you have your kids walk in w/ you? Or, included in the vows somehow (such as 'who takes this man...' & you answer, plus the kids answer 'we do')? Could you word the ceremony in part to say things like joining as a family, etc...?

Congrats! :001_smile:

I went to a wedding where the new husband/father presented the woman's 4-year-old with a lovely locket during the ceremony and made "vows" towards her about always being her Daddy, taking care of her and her mom, etc. I don't think there was a single dry eye in the audience. She was also their flower girl. You could do this with some other token as well (music box, bracelet, nice watch, pocket watch, engraved picture frame, etc.)

Any good ideas to include them in our ceremony in a simple, creative way that shows our marriage is also the coming together of our families?

When I married dh 10 years ago, we included a Family Medallion ceremony with my two boys as part ceremony.

Oldest ds was the ring-bearer, and younger ds was the "flower boy", meaning he carried a single rose which he gave to my dh who then put it in my bouquet.

I am getting married in November :). We are looking for ways to include our children. I have adopted 4 children. They have never had a dad in their lives until now, and my fiance will be adopting them too :). He has a young adult daughter from his first marriage. Any good ideas to include them in our ceremony in a simple, creative way that shows our marriage is also the coming together of our families?

About 2 years ago, dh and I went to a wedding where bride and groom both had previous kids. But most of theirs were college/high school age. But it would still work.

Everyone processed in as they normally would - groom and all the sons as groomsmen, on the right hand side. All the daughters as bridesmaids on the left hand side. Then the bride came in the back of the church and waited there. All the kids had a single flower.

First the boys walked back down the aisle to the bride and handed it to her and gave her a hug. Then they walked around the back of the seats to the side of the church they were supposed to be on. The boys already had boutonnieres on.

Then the girls walked back and handed the bride their flower. Again, they walked around the back of the seats to their side of the church. The wedding MC gave the girls their bouquets on the way. The last girl had a ribbon instead. The brides oldest daughter was college age was the maid of honor. She stayed back for a minute longer and helped her mom tie the flowers together. Then she walked around the back as well.

The kids brought her the bouquet in this way. It was really sweet. It would work with your older kids. I'm not so sure about the 3 yo though.