Menu

Anybody here a crossfit'er?

I am really wanting to try crossfit program however I am concerned though that the rigor of this type of exercise regime may kill my knees. I had one knee surgery which has goofed in me not being able to kneel on that knee or do any jumping on it. Squatting does hurt it however dr says I really need to push that knee to do more. :confused:

I do like the idea of crossfit due to part of it working out with your body weight at first. It is the later stuff that I am really concerned about. Is there a way to do Crossfit but with modifications?? My son said maybe Zumba is the way to go for me. He loves crossfit but is not part of a club though. We do have one in my area however they are pretty rough (their website say they show no mercy to those that come....if you are there then they expect you to work hard at working out...that scares the crap out of me)

So if you do crossfit how do you do it? ARe there modification due to injury or botched up surgery on joint??

Thanks!!

Holly

Zumba is essentially dance aerobics. Nothing against it, but it's cardio, not full body strength training. Crossfit IS, but I have no idea if there are modifications. It's a "culture". And there's lingo. :ack2:

I would suggest you join a gym (or your local Y) and work with a trainer for a few sessions to develop a plan that puts you on a path to you goals while working with your limitations.

I thought about just getting Robb Wolf's book as he has some beginner crossfit routine in it. Just trying to find it used at this time. (do not believe in evolution but do believe in benefits of eating the way he talks in his book)

I have been leary about joining the Y due to their nutritional stance. I am a low carber (almost primal more than paleo and LC).

Holly

I thought about just getting Robb Wolf's book as he has some beginner crossfit routine in it. Just trying to find it used at this time. (do not believe in evolution but do believe in benefits of eating the way he talks in his book)

I have been leary about joining the Y due to their nutritional stance. I am a low carber (almost primal more than paleo and LC).

Holly

Um... "nutritional stance"?

Well, yes, that is probably true if you're having a nutrition consultation. Nutritionists are pretty fond of the pyramid (and more interested in isolated nutrients than food than makes me happy). The rest of the staff, including trainers, aren't really focused in that area. Though, as a trainer, I would counsel against high calorie processed food for clients looking to lose weight. (ok, really, as a literate human I would counsel against high calorie processed "food". Because it's not food... But I digress) Really, the only thing I'm interested in is that no one is derailing their goals with an unhealthy lifestyle in other areas. There are many healthy ways to eat. None of them is one size fits all. ;)

Yes. And to address your original pondering: I avoid Crossfit, P90X and the other hard core "programs" because of knee issues. Which is not to say I don't routinely push myself beyond the limit, but I prefer to do it in a smart way that doesn't knock me out of comission. And, frankly, I bore easily.

Yes. And to address your original pondering: I avoid Crossfit, P90X and the other hard core "programs" because of knee issues. Which is not to say I don't routinely push myself beyond the limit, but I prefer to do it in a smart way that doesn't knock me out of comission. And, frankly, I bore easily.

That is my main concern. I do not want to be out of commission either. If I am out then I can't go to work at my job which does require walking and lifting things. Just wonder if there are crossfit "lite", kwim?

I have knee issues, and have done some Crossfit and P90X and Insanity with work.

I like the P90X the best because it shows lots of modifications you can do for the various workouts. But I find my knee hurts the worst, strangely enough, after doing pullups. I think it has something to do with doing them assisted with a stool or chair.

I think it is important to know your body and its capabilities and not try to go too far beyond that. That is when injuries occur.

I have been CrossFitting for almost 3 years now and love it - I have a number of health issues, but if you are able to not get caught up in to the competitiveness of the real athletes, you can modify anything. Compete against yourself. There is a lot of help on the Crossfit.com forums, but what working best for me was joining a local box to get the movements and modifications down.

My 63 yo mom also does it, and has found that her knees got much stronger and less painful after being consistent for awhile. She can easily do CrossFit squats (breaking parallel) now - I saw her do 40 the other day.

I am healthier and stronger than I have ever been. I would recommend CrossFit to just about anyone.

We actually have our 4yo daughter in the CrossFit kids program and plan to use that as PE throughout homeschooling. I joke that we're in training for the 2024 CrossFit Games...

I have been athletic in the past but then stopped and gained weight. Never obese but definitely heavy. Anyway, I was doing TKD and my right knee started to bother me. Stopped TKD when we moved but knee still bothered me. Couldn't run, couldn't really walk without pain some days. Couldn't even squat down since it felt like there was fluid in the knee all the time. Finally went to an ortho who had an MRI done. He looked at it and said that there are no cartilage issues (a big relief) but it's something with my femur and he didn't know what it was exactly. I also had my nurse-sister run the MRI by some other orthos she knew and they said the same thing. Didn't inspire confidence. Anyway, they all said take 6 mths off where I did nothing that would hurt it. I did that and found I could do spinning and an elliptical ok. Then I started Power 90. Didn't think I could do it since I knew there were lots of squats, etc. Well, somehow that helped immensely and I am now pain free! I can run (don't do it often since I don't want to aggravate anything) which I could not do, and now I'm doing P90x which is even more leg work. So, what I'm saying is don't discount the knee stuff. I am now convinced that all the muscles that hold your knee in place must have something to do with it. Maybe give it a try but at a slow pace.

jeri

I had tons of knee issues in my 30s. A trainer recommended squats and leg extensions. Fixed my knee issue. Those exercises strengthen the muscles which support the knee and keep it in alignment. I would find a trainer that specializes in knee issues. Have him/her design a program for you and try it w/ the trainer for a few months. Then you can look at programs like P90X and see what needs to be modified. I always have huge knee issues but I've done two rounds of P90X doubles and now in week 4 of Insanity w/out issues. For Insanity, I am taking a joint supplement b/c of the all the jumping and I found that all my aches are gone.

I did some CF on my own for a while, then did p90x, then had a pregnancy, then did CF at a gym. However, the CF gym was 2 hrs away it was more for some training for lifts, which I realized I would never be able to learn and do safely in the amount of time for training. At this point in life however, I have decided that I would prefer to do activity with my family I have no desire to go back to the 1-1.5 hrs a day with p90x. I like some of the CF ideas and moves but as I said have stopped trying to do the Olympic lifts, I don't trust my form. Now, I lean more toward the primal workout idea. 2-5 hrs low level activity, sprinting 1x a week, body weight exercises(pushups,pullups,squats, etc) 1-2 x a week. Although as of late I am not doing much but walking with the kids. My pullup station with assistance bands is in the basement which is in a state of dissarray currently with us finishing it. There are still plenty of things to do but I'm on a break right now and ok with that.

• 3 weeks later...
Now, I lean more toward the primal workout idea. 2-5 hrs low level activity, sprinting 1x a week, body weight exercises(pushups,pullups,squats, etc) 1-2 x a week. Although as of late I am not doing much but walking with the kids. My pullup station with assistance bands is in the basement which is in a state of dissarray currently with us finishing it. There are still plenty of things to do but I'm on a break right now and ok with that.

Hi,

I missed your post. I know Mark Sisson has a primal workout book. Is this what you meant?

Also how did you construct a pullup station and what are bands??

Thanks!!

Holly

I do Crossfit at a local box. I would definitely recommend joining a box rather than trying to do it on your own at first; there are just too many form issues to master and the training they give you is key, imo.

I read a lot about CF before I joined and one of the things they brag about is their willingness to modify. The trainers at the CF I go to work very closely with us to be sure we are using proper form and selecting the right amount of weight. The last thing they want is an injury!

I did Zumba (which is really a lot of fun!) 3-4 time per week for two years with results that were pretty minimal. After my first month at CF I could see significant improvements. The two are not the same.

I would find a local box, go talk to them about your issues and then see what you think. Mine also required a two week "ramp-up" course when I joined, to be sure I had a good understanding of the basics.

Good luck!

I read a lot about CF before I joined and one of the things they brag about is their willingness to modify. The trainers at the CF I go to work very closely with us to be sure we are using proper form and selecting the right amount of weight. The last thing they want is an injury!

Good luck!

The one box that is local to me (5 min away) really is adamant on their website that if you can't do this they do not want you there. :confused::confused: However the ones I saw online that is in the big city (30 min) really brags about modifying. The one that is very local scares the crap out of me. I will have to check the one that is in the big city.

Thanks for your post.

Holly

p90x is a video series, which has some similarities but is also totally different. It utilizes interval and high intensity training with bodyweight moves, but it also does some lame-o isolation movies with dumbells. Workouts are 60-90 minutes 6 days a week.

MDA has the fitness pdf for free I like it for a loose guideline. When I worked out with a box it was very customizable but I realized that CF is not in line with my own family and fitness goals. MDA fits more in with my goals and beliefs.

Have you hung out much on the main CF boards? I've seen a ton of different modifications for the mainpage workouts, including ones for pregnant and postpartum moms. There are a few lists of workouts for people without certain equipment and comparable substitutions if you can't do specific movements. It sounds like you've probably already seen that if you're looking locally.

Does the place nearby sound like they only want members who can do workouts worthy of mainpage videos? (Because I agree that is a ridiculous expectation.) Or is it that they aren't going to do the handholding "you can do this" x 100 that some people seem to need to not quit in the middle of a reasonable workout? If you aren't liking the vibe, I'd look for a place you'd match better with.

I'm really a runner, but I'm very fond of CF workouts. I have a few friends who like Zumba, and it sounds like fun...but I don't think it's remotely close to most CF programs.

Does the place nearby sound like they only want members who can do workouts worthy of mainpage videos? (Because I agree that is a ridiculous expectation.) Or is it that they aren't going to do the handholding "you can do this" x 100 that some people seem to need to not quit in the middle of a reasonable workout? If you aren't liking the vibe, I'd look for a place you'd match better with.

They want you to do every aspect of what they do including olympic lifts. It doesn't sound like they will handhold or even modify if you had problems with your knees or whatever. I had surgery on my left knee so this prevents me from squatting too far. My knee surgery got botched by the surgeon. Now my aerobic class that I did a few years ago did lots of modifications for me. However I felt that it did nothing for me. I truly understand if they do not want anybody that will not do what they want you to do but goodness what about those like me that have physical limitations that is not their fault.

I will have to look at that forum again. Thanks for the reminder.

Holly

• 2 weeks later...

I started CrossFit last month. I've had great results. I've only lost 1 pound but I've lost 4 inches of belly fat in a month w/Cross Fit 3X a week and eating a (mostly) Primal diet. I've made huge gains in strength and stamina.

My box modifies for me. When I started I did less reps AND less rounds of every workout PLUS I had the exercises modified. In one month, I am able to do some of the exercises I couldn't do because of my bad knees (lunges and a much deeper squat). I still have to have modifications for things like jump rope and lateral hops.

I am now doing the same amount of reps and rounds as everyone but I have the worst time in the box. It doesn't really matter though as I am competing against myself and not the 20 something year olds lol. I love my box as most of the people are very supportive.

I have been CrossFitting for almost 3 years now and love it - I have a number of health issues, but if you are able to not get caught up in to the competitiveness of the real athletes, you can modify anything. Compete against yourself. There is a lot of help on the Crossfit.com forums, but what working best for me was joining a local box to get the movements and modifications down.

My 63 yo mom also does it, and has found that her knees got much stronger and less painful after being consistent for awhile. She can easily do CrossFit squats (breaking parallel) now - I saw her do 40 the other day.

I am healthier and stronger than I have ever been. I would recommend CrossFit to just about anyone.

We actually have our 4yo daughter in the CrossFit kids program and plan to use that as PE throughout homeschooling. I joke that we're in training for the 2024 CrossFit Games...

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Yes! I love CrossFit. My box is very attuned to injuries, and offers workouts that work around a sore shoulder, knee, or whatever ails you. The beautiful thing about CrossFit is that it's scalable - you are working to improve yourself, not worrying about what everybody else is doing. My 13yo dd has joined with me, and she loves it also, and of course, at 13, loves being the most flexible person in the class..... ;)

I am really wanting to try crossfit program however I am concerned though that the rigor of this type of exercise regime may kill my knees. I had one knee surgery which has goofed in me not being able to kneel on that knee or do any jumping on it. Squatting does hurt it however dr says I really need to push that knee to do more. :confused:

I do like the idea of crossfit due to part of it working out with your body weight at first. It is the later stuff that I am really concerned about. Is there a way to do Crossfit but with modifications?? My son said maybe Zumba is the way to go for me. He loves crossfit but is not part of a club though. We do have one in my area however they are pretty rough (their website say they show no mercy to those that come....if you are there then they expect you to work hard at working out...that scares the crap out of me)

So if you do crossfit how do you do it? ARe there modification due to injury or botched up surgery on joint??

Thanks!!

Holly

I was doing some Cross Fit workouts when we were in Japan. What I did was to go to the Cross Fit website, then to the workout of the day forums. There are a couple longstanding trainers there who will scale down the workouts to something like "big dawgs", "little dawgs" and "puppies". Most days I was at the puppy or lower level.

One suggestion is to start with WOD workouts a few weeks in the past so you can read the forum to see what scalings and modifications other people used. I also would pull about three workouts (tried to pick three in a row) and do them over a week with a day of rest in between.

I just did what I could. It was exciting when I could to a whole puppy level for a work out (I'm quite overweight and was starting from a very low level).

I had a lot of creaks and pains when I started. The lifting did a lot to help that, but I also had some really sore legs on the first few workouts (especially lunges).

Do what you're able to do. Stop when it hurts. Make the modifications you have to.

I started CrossFit last month. I've had great results. I've only lost 1 pound but I've lost 4 inches of belly fat in a month w/Cross Fit 3X a week and eating a (mostly) Primal diet. I've made huge gains in strength and stamina.

My box modifies for me. When I started I did less reps AND less rounds of every workout PLUS I had the exercises modified. In one month, I am able to do some of the exercises I couldn't do because of my bad knees (lunges and a much deeper squat). I still have to have modifications for things like jump rope and lateral hops.

I am now doing the same amount of reps and rounds as everyone but I have the worst time in the box. It doesn't really matter though as I am competing against myself and not the 20 something year olds lol. I love my box as most of the people are very supportive.

I think that's a great attitude to have about all kinds of working out. I don't lift what the high school football players in my gym lift. I'm not a fast runner. But every day I'm out there, trying to be better than the last time. And that is always better than just staying on the couch.

This describes my experience as well. I'm always the last one done, or post one of the slowest times. But I don't care - I'm seeing my strength and stamina increase, and my upper arms are starting to actually show some definition - who knew there muscles under there? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...