Menu

Intro and question regarding 10th grade program

We recently completed our 3rd year of homeschooling. While I have often read reviews from these forums while I was searching via google these past three years, I just officially signed up recently.

My oldest just completed his freshman year of high school, and I am working on finalizing his plan for 10th grade. He is a math and science kid, and his transcript will definitely reflect that, but I want to make sure we are not skimping on his English.

Has anyone taken Memoria Press online Traditional Logic I and II class? If so, did the kids write any essays in this class? Would you recommend this class?

My son will also complete MCT Word Within the Word Vol. I, MCT Magic Lens I, and the 11th grade comp class and the Essay II workshop from Write at Home this year.

If I decide to have my son take the Traditional Logic classes, would they along with the MCT and Write at Home classes be enough for 10th grade English? (I plan on having him read about 6 novels from an AP book list

to supplement his history class.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My 19 yos took the TL class when it was being beta-tested. Most definitely at that pt there were no essays. The class was nothing more than almost a complete replica of the textbook and everything was multiple choice. It was a tortuously boring class for ds. He could have done equally well just working through the book. Whether it has been completely re-vamped, I have no idea.

FWIW, I would put TL on a transcript as Logic and not include it in an English credit. I think that what you have listed w/o the TL is the equivalent of an English credit.

Your plan looks good, but if you have concerns there are a couple of ways to approach it:

1. Review the major types of essays with him through the AP novel readings. (compare/contrast, analysis, persuasive, etc.)

2. Use your son's love of science/math to drive non-fiction based writing, which is important if he plans on pursuing these studies in college. (research paper, descriptive essay, process writing)

Hope this helps...