Menu

Nancy Larson Science users - questions.

parias1126

Does Nancy Larson Science consist of any experiments? Is it just a lot of busy type worksheets along with pictures and reading the suggested reading that comes along with it? I am worried that my extremely sciency 7 yr old DS will be bored and just not interested.

I love the looks of Nancy Larson and I love that it comes with everything included because this is why other science curricula always seems to get put off.

I was waiting for Elemental Science to have more kits to go along with their grammar stage science, but it hasn't happened yet and we are going to be starting soon.

Am I setting myself up to have a very bored child? This is a child who is so obsessed with science that he does it on a daily basis even if we aren't doing school. Today we were at radio shack buying miniature light bulbs, the holders for them, wire, resistors, LED lights, etc. just so could add electric to his Lego houses. Yesterday we were at the hobby shop buying more Science Wiz kits.

It seems as though its an everyday thing with him and I don't want to set myself up to have a bored child.

Those of you that have used Nancy Larson, could you please advice? I was going to purchase Science 1.

There will be those who will vehemently disagree with me, but from your description of your son, I think he will be really, really bored with Nancy Larson.

It is a heavily scripted (as in, every word you are supposed to say to him is written out for you, and all of his suggested responses are also written out).

According to the publisher's own website, it is designed for children who have never done science before.

We have done up to lesson 19 with my 7YO, and we are both ready to put out an eye with a fork-- though we did get to go outside with a field guide to identify trees, which was kind of neat, the so-called "meat" of the lesson still focused, at lesson #19, on trying to drill home things like trees have bark, and plants have roots, stems, leaves, and flowers. My 7YO is looking at me like, "You're kidding me, right?" The assessment for life stages had, I think, a picture of an elderly person and a toddler and asked him to circle which one was a toddler. The "books"provided are pretty elementary; if you try this program, you will definitely need to supplement if you have a science oriented kid. The toys that come up later do look fun, but the tenor of the program doesn't change-- it is designed at level 1 to be entirely parent-led and child follows along.

Some other people seem to love NL dearly, though; I find that with a strong science background and wanting to read more real books, it just doesn't work for us-- it's actually kind of painful. I would recommend it to people who are fearful of teaching science to their kids, as it is highly organized, provides everything, and is clear and as far as I have read into it so far, accurate, something that I can't say about all science programs. And for people who really are concerned about their kids passing some kind of test in science even at this age, it does pound in a lot of review as well.

We love the Science Wiz kits at our house and are very happily doing NOEO chemistry for the year (everything you need is included except for some pretty basic items-- we've gone through some food coloring, baking soda, and vinegar so far, as well as some hot water and balloons. No big deal!). I am working the Science Wiz kits in alongside the NOEO experiments, just because they're so much fun and fit in so well with the program. He has serious problems writing due to a genetic disorder, and is doing great with the "lab writeups" (there are a variety of notebooking and lab pages you can choose from, and a lot of them include large lines and drawing areas instead of lots of writing space if you want). We do some of it by narration-- he tells me what he thinks happened or what he remembers from the reading and I take down his dictation for him, and that works for us.

You can see some photos of the kids doing older brother's level 2 NOEO experiments (my DS7 sits in on some of his older brother's labs just for fun . . . as do some of the neighborhood kids-- the program is so popular we get a lot of unofficial afterschoolers dropping in for chemistry now, even if I make them write as a condition of participating!).

We find NOEO to be highly organized, easy to follow, clear to understand for the kids, and both of them are retaining the information very well and making a lot of connections and able to explain things in their own words. Even better, they are figuring out how to pose questions, and being lead gently through the process of answering them (with no expectation of doing independent work in that area, as this is grammar stage!) which is a great skill at this age. Kids naturally have so many questions all the time about everything, and it is so empowering for them to feel as if they are learning how to find the answers instead of being dependent on adults for everything, and NOEO starts to help them discover they are capable of discovering on their own!

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

I'm so glad I read this. I have an extreme science kid too and if it is that scripted it is a waste of money for us. We are loving the Rso science experiments but even it is a bit below him already. I think I may get apologia because at 6 he is already secure in monocotes and how photosynthesis occurs lol. I should just keep doing what we've been doing put my own together but I worry about gaps. I am going to give bfsu a try have you looked at it

I just today received our Nancy Larson science kit (level 3) for next year. It looks really good to us, but I doubt that it would appeal to a really sciency kid.

For a family like us who never ever seems to get science done, it looks like a wonderful blessing. The lessons seem simple (but "enough"), and I love that the supplies are all included for the experiments. I am thrilled that it looks like science will actually get done next year. :hurray:

But for a kid who is really into science, I don't think it will be enough IMO.

I'm so glad I read this. I have an extreme science kid too and if it is that scripted it is a waste of money for us. We are loving the Rso science experiments but even it is a bit below him already. I think I may get apologia because at 6 he is already secure in monocotes and how photosynthesis occurs lol. I should just keep doing what we've been doing put my own together but I worry about gaps. I am going to give bfsu a try have you looked at it

We tried RSO this past year and my son hated filling in the lab sheets that came along with it. He loves the hands on stuff which is another reason I'm second guessing NL.

There will be those who will vehemently disagree with me, but from your description of your son, I think he will be really, really bored with Nancy Larson.

It is a heavily scripted (as in, every word you are supposed to say to him is written out for you, and all of his suggested responses are also written out).

According to the publisher's own website, it is designed for children who have never done science before.

We have done up to lesson 19 with my 7YO, and we are both ready to put out an eye with a fork-- though we did get to go outside with a field guide to identify trees, which was kind of neat, the so-called "meat" of the lesson still focused, at lesson #19, on trying to drill home things like trees have bark, and plants have roots, stems, leaves, and flowers. My 7YO is looking at me like, "You're kidding me, right?" The assessment for life stages had, I think, a picture of an elderly person and a toddler and asked him to circle which one was a toddler. The "books"provided are pretty elementary; if you try this program, you will definitely need to supplement if you have a science oriented kid. The toys that come up later do look fun, but the tenor of the program doesn't change-- it is designed at level 1 to be entirely parent-led and child follows along.

Some other people seem to love NL dearly, though; I find that with a strong science background and wanting to read more real books, it just doesn't work for us-- it's actually kind of painful. I would recommend it to people who are fearful of teaching science to their kids, as it is highly organized, provides everything, and is clear and as far as I have read into it so far, accurate, something that I can't say about all science programs. And for people who really are concerned about their kids passing some kind of test in science even at this age, it does pound in a lot of review as well.

We love the Science Wiz kits at our house and are very happily doing NOEO chemistry for the year (everything you need is included except for some pretty basic items-- we've gone through some food coloring, baking soda, and vinegar so far, as well as some hot water and balloons. No big deal!). I am working the Science Wiz kits in alongside the NOEO experiments, just because they're so much fun and fit in so well with the program. He has serious problems writing due to a genetic disorder, and is doing great with the "lab writeups" (there are a variety of notebooking and lab pages you can choose from, and a lot of them include large lines and drawing areas instead of lots of writing space if you want). We do some of it by narration-- he tells me what he thinks happened or what he remembers from the reading and I take down his dictation for him, and that works for us.

You can see some photos of the kids doing older brother's level 2 NOEO experiments (my DS7 sits in on some of his older brother's labs just for fun . . . as do some of the neighborhood kids-- the program is so popular we get a lot of unofficial afterschoolers dropping in for chemistry now, even if I make them write as a condition of participating!).

We find NOEO to be highly organized, easy to follow, clear to understand for the kids, and both of them are retaining the information very well and making a lot of connections and able to explain things in their own words. Even better, they are figuring out how to pose questions, and being lead gently through the process of answering them (with no expectation of doing independent work in that area, as this is grammar stage!) which is a great skill at this age. Kids naturally have so many questions all the time about everything, and it is so empowering for them to feel as if they are learning how to find the answers instead of being dependent on adults for everything, and NOEO starts to help them discover they are capable of discovering on their own!

Jen

http://hillandalefarmschool.blogspot.com/

Jen, thanks ao much for taking the time out to be so detailed in your response. Your post alone has been so helpful. I was looking at Noeo Science earlier today but I had done a search on the forums and found a couple negative reviews from other WTM'rs. I had put the idea aside after that but after reading what you have said, I'm seriously considering it again. Our DS sound a lot alike.

We tried RSO this past year and my son hated filling in the lab sheets that came along with it. He loves the hands on stuff which is another reason I'm second guessing NL.

Gave him a clipboard and the new hasn't worn off lol. What about tops studies?

NL 1 would be WAY too easy for a 7 yo. My 5 yo is using it, and enjoys it, but we supplement a lot with readings from the library, discussions, and extra work. It provides a good spine for him at this point. I think we're going to continue with NL 2, but only if he continues to enjoy himself (and he is enjoying himself thus far).

I had bought an extra work book for my almost 9 year old thinking he could tag along (for fun) in addition to his Core Sicence work but it's too easy for him. I mean, he sits there sometimes just to feel smart LOL, but really, it's not the right level. He does Core Knowledge Science and it's wonderful for him--meaty and full of great vocab and info. For my younger, I wanted something easy and straightforward--he loves workbooks and does experiments on his own--and it's fit the bill for us so far.

Keep in mind, we do a lot of supplementing, but we would with probably any science curriculum (we're "tweakers" here ;))

Ooh! I have one of these too!

We are loving Supercharged Science. I'm sure its not for everyone, but ds seriously loves it and I think it is great for these really sciencey youngers. (We just bought the LED lights, battery packs, alligator clips, etc. last weekend too.)

I think I looked at this the other day. Isn't Supercharged Science the one that is on CD or online? I couldn't get a grasp of how it actually worked by viewing their website.

Yeah, its all online, and my take on it is that you do have to do a bit of organizing yourself (decide which unit to do and gather the supplies). So, if you are looking for an all-in-one kit, it may not be for you, but the content is incredible. The experiments are so cool (like building working laser burglar alarms), that to me it is worth picking up the supplies. Plus, it sounds like you are already at Radio Shack frequently anyway, and all the supplies for labs (with the exception of a couple of big things like a chemistry set) can be gotten at Radio Shack, a hardware store, and a big box store. We have tried a lot of science programs and this one is the most high-interest by far. We've also added the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out books by topic as the spines since the content on her website is more for logic stage. We are really enjoying it!