Menu

If you were teaching a one-week remedial "algebra camp", how much would you charge?

Here are the details:

• 4 students
  • 4 hours per day for 5 days (each day: 1st 2-hour session--lunch break--2nd 2-hour session)
  • meet in the conference room at dh's office, which is about 10 minutes from my home

In my area, the going rate for experienced tutors averages $15-20 per hour (if that makes a difference).

ETA: I taught algebra for this same group of 4 kids from November through May (meeting twice per week, 1.5 hours per session--so 3 hours per week) and I charged $90 per month per student. I'm thinking $50 per student for a one-week class that meets 4 hours per day for 5 days. What do you think?

Edited by ereks mom

Who's providing lunch?

Is there a charge for the room?

Is the $15-20 for individual or group?

Kids will bring a sack lunch, there is no charge for the room, and the going rate of $15-$20 is for individual tutoring.

I need to go and add this to my original post: I taught algebra for this same group of 4 kids from November through May (meeting twice per week, 1.5 hours per session--so 3 hours per week) and I charged $90 per month per student.

I think that's a great deal for the students. :)

I would think you could easily charge more especially if you break down your usual hourly rate and apply it to this. Maybe somewhere between the two would work, or even just change the same as you do monthly - $90. That would make it a bit fairer to you for your work for the week. Even at that, that's only $18 per day and less than $5 per hour per student. But for you that's $72 per day and a nicer $18 per hour wage.

At your usual wage of $30 per hour, you'd need to charge $150 per student and that would probably sound too high to the parents for a review class.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Before you said your monthly rate, I was going to say $200 for the week. But since your monthly rate was only $90, I am thinking the parents are going to think $200 is way out there. (But here in Cobb County, you could easily get by with the $200, which would be only $10/hour. I charge $50/hour for math tutoring here.)

It really boils down to what you will do the work for. People get offended if you charge $10 or $1000....Let's admit it, we offer our skills/talents to help others and promote education....I offered to teach 24 students english composition last year and this year...if I figured out my hours spent on prep/grading/teaching, the 'pay' would be laughable...but I do charge something just so the kids/parents take it seriously enough to apply themselves and get the work done. That's all I really want...

I think $50 for the week is reasonable and fair...if this were your career and your focus was financial, then it's well below what it's worth...but when your focus is to be helpful and fill a need...I think you're right on.

Your students will be receiving a total of 20 hours of instruction for the week, which is almost 2 x the amount they received during one month of tutoring. I think you should consider charging at least as much as per hour for the camp. If I am doing my math correctly, that would be $150 for the week. You may be selling yourself short if you do it for less and possibly setting yourself up for an argument w/parents about future charges. I think consistency in pricing is very important. Consider offering a "summer special - 10% off" deal (or something similar), but if you are doing it for less than your typical rate, then I think you would need to make it clear that it is a special deal, not a new pricing policy.

What is the charge for other local camps?

I am paying $170 per kid for German camp that is five days and about three hour a day.

$50 seems rather low. Maybe $90 for the camp. It will be almost a month's worth in one go, but it is also a larger group. But it would really depend on local rates.

No clue on the money, but I have done summer Algebra review classes in the past, and I found this set of "parent guide for student success" worksheets very helpful to guide and pace the class. They go with a particular math text (one which I really like, but the worksheets can be useful no matter the original text).

Overall index page here:

http://www.classzone.com/books/algebra_1/index.cfm?state=PA

There is a worksheet for each chapter in the textbook, with representative problems, and answers (printed upside down). (It's the second page of the 2-page document. The first page isn't much use.)

Example here:

http://www.classzone.com/books/algebra_1/pdfs/a1_ch1_pg.pdf

I used them by having the students work the problems one at a time, assessing what they knew and where they needed further work/review, giving further instruction where needed, then going on to the next problem/worksheet, etc., and thus working through the entire Alg I text in 12 worksheets.