Menu

Anyone have the Picture Study Portfolios from SCM?

Moxie

I have the three that are currently available. The prints are beautiful. I really like them. They are of a high quality. The paper that they are printed on is heavy and the colors are bright. The books contain a portion of information about the artist that can be read aloud to the child. In keeping with the CM approach, the information is storylike and interesting. There are also specific lessons for each of the prints.

Do you have any specific questions? I can pull them out and take another look at them if you do.

I have the Velazques one. The prints themselves are worth the price! The book has an intro explaining why we do picture study. Then come the how to use this portfolio, section. There is no daily, weekly, ect. schedule or plan (you really don't need that for picture study). It gives five steps of how to use the portfolio. Then comes the story of the artist. After this is a list for further reading on the artist. Finally comes info and background on each of the 8 paintings within the portfolio. This will definitely make anyone's picture study a lot easier.

The prints themselves are worth the price!
:iagree:

I didn't buy them when they were on special a few weeks back. Then I was able to 'get my hands on them' and look at the books/pictures at a homeschool meeting last week. I am so regretting that I didn't buy them on sale! Yes, the prints alone are worth the price. I was so impressed with the quality of printing and the weight of the paper. Just lovely. I did look through the books/content but not enough to review it. But based on the prints alone - yes, worth the money, if you are studying those artists.

I am starting to wish I bought the prints instead of the download version. The reason I bought the download version was so I could take it to Staple's and print out as many prints as I have kids. I would like each kid to have their own print to look at (ala Charlotte Mason). Maybe I should have just bought the paper version!!!!! Why do I have so many regrets with homeschool purchases?!?!? :banghead:

I am starting to wish I bought the prints instead of the download version. The reason I bought the download version was so I could take it to Staple's and print out as many prints as I have kids. I would like each kid to have their own print to look at (ala Charlotte Mason). Maybe I should have just bought the paper version!!!!! Why do I have so many regrets with homeschool purchases?!?!? :banghead:

SCM is really friendly. If you bought the paper version hey may refund your other money for the digital. I would e-mail them and ask.

• 2 years later...

I absolutely LOVE these. They are supposed to be done 15 minutes, once a week, but we make that lesson a bit longer by adding in extra art projects. Honestly, though, the idea of picture study and "narrating" art has been phenomenal for my kiddos. Last week we did Van Gogh's "Bedroom in Arles." I usually start the narration with my youngest, DD5, even though technically she's not school aged yet. Usually she will talk about one thing in the picture, but last week she described so so much! The colors in the floor and walls, how many chairs, what was on the table, the bedding, etc. I was amazed! I wrote a pretty extensive review of Van Gogh's Starry Night study on my blog, which lays out exactly what's included in the SCM portfolios and how we do picture study- http://eternallifeacademy.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/picture-study-with-van-goghs-starry-night/