Menu

College visits - when is the best time?

momofkhm

Maybe not the absolute best time, but which of these two would you chose?

DD wants to go check out UNC Wilmington. It's about 2-2 1/2 hours from home. I can probably get a friend to watch my younger 2, have dh work from home for a day or something. (DS is a talker and would monopolize any conversation there.) So I could go this summer. During summer classes, but not a full campus.

Another option is we will be going to Myrtle Beach the first week in September with my folks. It's only about an hour from UNC-W. I could have my parents watch my younger 2. It would be after classes have started and the campus should be "full".

When I talked to mom about the second option, she didn't seem inclined to be helpful. She thought going during summer session would be fine. So I also have a third option - either on the way down or the way back since we are traveling on a Friday. Classes would be in, campus would be full but then I'd have the younger 2 (14 and 11 yo) with me. And as I said, 11 yo is a talker. I could tell him to be quiet but it would be a constant shushing. Oh and going through Wilmington on the way to Myrtle Beach is the fastest way, so it's not going to add time and distance.

Which would you chose?

So I also have a third option - either on the way down or the way back since we are traveling on a Friday. Classes would be in, campus would be full but then I'd have the younger 2 (14 and 11 yo) with me. And as I said, 11 yo is a talker. I could tell him to be quiet but it would be a constant shushing. Oh and going through Wilmington on the way to Myrtle Beach is the fastest way, so it's not going to add time and distance.

With option 3, perhaps your husband could take and 14 and 11 year olds off to do something else while you and your daughter take a tour.

One reminder: campuses can empty out on Friday afternoons, so I would visit earlier in the day to get a better feel of the hum of student life.

With option 3, perhaps your husband could take and 14 and 11 year olds off to do something else while you and your daughter take a tour.

One reminder: campuses can empty out on Friday afternoons, so I would visit earlier in the day to get a better feel of the hum of student life.

:iagree:

We often let our younger two roam campus together (safe campuses) while hubby, oldest, and I did tours and/or admissions talks. BUT, my kids are used to "free ranging," so they were ok with it. Being together and exploring was nothing new to them. If your hubby can stick with the younger two and explore, that would be my choice of your three options.

I would definitely visit during the normal school year, if at all possible. I attend a small, Christian University and I've been on our campus quite a bit during the summer. The feel is totally different. The professors who teach summer courses might not be the ones who teach those during the school year, there are fewer students, the pace isn't the same, etc.

I would want to go during the regular school year. We hit a couple of schools during Spring Break and there is not much appeal to a half alive campus.

I have done the tour and info session at UNC-W and I am not sure you need to worry about your "talker" on the tour. It is a very active tour (lots of walking) and very relaxed. They split us by major and I think our tour group only had one other family. There was so much activity going on around us, (long boarders, cyclists, groups with tables set up) that I had to fight to pay attention to the tour guide. The info session is not very useful, imo.

Would your oldest be willing to do the tour and info session alone? You could drop her off and take the younger kids over to the beach which is so close and just gorgeous.

Hope you find a solution. I love Wilmington!

she really should go during the school year. We visited one far away campus en route to a family vacation, but it was 10 days after the end of the school year. We had a wonderful tour and spent some time with faculty from dd's intended major. It was enough to rule *in* the school as worth a scond trip in the fall. However, when fall rolled around and dh took dd, they spent the weekend there during the weekend that was planned to target arts students.

She learned that she would need to be a very different person to fit in well in that art department (she has skill but not an overwhelming passion for art), and she learned that the vibe of the student body was not a great match for her.

Go during the year. Bribe the talker. It'll make for great family lore. :lol: My youngers have really enjoyed the college tours...it jumpstarts their own dreams.

I would go during the school year and keep the younger two with me. You can find out an awful lot what you need to know just poking around with the younger two. Or go on separate tours. Send the college-bound one off on her own. You can always visit another time without the other kids if this is a serious option for your older child.

HTH!

I think you will learn more about the school if you go when school is in session. We learned a lot by talking to students and that is difficult to do during the summer. The dorms are not the same during summer, either, if you will be touring campus housing.

I would not take young children on the school tour because of their lack of interest in the experience and most likely a shorter attention span that may not allow you to do all you would like to do during your time at the school.

Thanks ladies! You've confirmed what I had already thought.

I'll call mom in another month and feel her out again on the subject of me taking a day trip with oldest dd. Maybe I'll get dad on the phone. I'm sure he'd say yes. :-) (you know, cause I'm still daddy's little girl and all.)