Menu

Science question

Embassy

Need some recommendations. I gave my 3rd grader an 8th grade science practice test today. He is going to take his first standardized test soon and I gave him the 8th grade practice one to challenge him since the 3rd grade test would be too easy. He did very well on the test - missed some, but answered most questions correctly. But he is no where near ready for high school math. He is probably grade level for math. Science is his great love. I haven't really used a curriculum thus far. I have made up my own most of the time. We cover science topics in great depth, but in an age appropriate way. We haven't even covered all branches of science yet and I was planning on doing so in the next few years. Should I just keep this up while his math skills progress? Should I spend more time on his math skills? At this point he could probably go quicker through his math, but I've haven't quickened the pace too much because I want to make sure I help build a strong math foundation since he is so interested in science. Ideas?

I think that you're right in wanting to shore up his math skills before launching high-school level science. It's difficult to tackle subjects at that level without having solid math skills and early algebra.

You could check out RS4K science Level 1 to go through all of the branches of science. Depending on what you've done with him, working through a curriculum may solidify and organize what he's learned already (or it may bore him to tears!)

Or you could keep on using science as you have been, exploring topics as in-depth as he is able with his current math skills. The beauty of science is that you can go wide as well as deep ...

ETA: In case you're looking at my signature and wondering why on earth I'm even commenting when my students are so much younger than yours ... my undergrad degree was in Chemistry and I ended up teaching high school science in a small school for a year. I'm remembering lots of math ... :-)

I think that you're right in wanting to shore up his math skills before launching high-school level science. It's difficult to tackle subjects at that level without having solid math skills and early algebra.

You could check out RS4K science Level 1 to go through all of the branches of science. Depending on what you've done with him, working through a curriculum may solidify and organize what he's learned already (or it may bore him to tears!)

Or you could keep on using science as you have been, exploring topics as in-depth as he is able with his current math skills. The beauty of science is that you can go wide as well as deep ...

ETA: In case you're looking at my signature and wondering why on earth I'm even commenting when my students are so much younger than yours ... my undergrad degree was in Chemistry and I ended up teaching high school science in a small school for a year. I'm remembering lots of math ... :-)

Thanks! This is why I wonder if I shouldn't spend more time on math. We spend about the same amount of time on science that we do on math. Ds wants to spend all day on science. I have 5 more years before he hits high school. That is a long time to spend without going much deeper in science. In second grade he watched a video series of a college astronomy class and loved it. He has scattered math skills beyond where his textbooks teach, but that is mostly self-taught from reading science books.

RS4K is a great curriculum. It is the only one I did use. I used pre-level Chemistry when he was in Kindergarten and he loved it. While it was good then it wouldn't satisfy him now.

I think every science-mad kid on the planet should use BFSU so I'll throw that out there :D. You could get the $5 e-book of Volume 1 (K-2 but super meaty & detailed and it lays the foundation for the later volumes) to see if there is anything you haven't covered or and you can fly through it, and then dig into Volume 2. Volume 3 is forthcoming.

We used the Science Explorer earth science books (a middle school series) this past year and level-wise it was a good fit for my 3rd grader. There wasn't much math involved, though as you can see from my signature, my son is advanced in math. Next year for fourth, we're going to do CPO Life Science, another middle school program.

The new thing for high school/college science is to offer "conceptual" classes, which really means classes with very little (or no) math. These books can be a good choice for younger kids who need higher level science but don't yet have the math. Some examples: Conceptual Physics, Conceptual Chemistry, Exploring the Way Life Works.

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll continue what we are doing for science and spend a little more time on math. I'm hesitant to change our science for now because he loves it and is learning a lot. The conceptual programs sound like they would be a great fit once we finish covering all the branches of science.

I'm in a similar situation with a child who is years ahead in science than math, and ds just craves learning more about science. I think you would be fine either moving more quickly in math or not. I've been looking at how we will approach science in the coming years. After we cover all the major branches, I think we'll do some in-depth studies of inventions, Joy Hakim's history of science series, biographies of important scientists, some of Ellen McHenry's materials, and BFSU. I think a lot of science-loving kids also greatly enjoy logic. Alternating science with logic (Critical Thinking Co, Prufrock, brown paper books about science/logic, etc) can extend the time it takes to cover the scientific basics while improving scientific reasoning. Critical Thinking Co has some materials specific to science which look promising for honing scientific reasoning skills.

I'm in a similar situation with a child who is years ahead in science than math, and ds just craves learning more about science. I think you would be fine either moving more quickly in math or not. I've been looking at how we will approach science in the coming years. After we cover all the major branches, I think we'll do some in-depth studies of inventions, Joy Hakim's history of science series, biographies of important scientists, some of Ellen McHenry's materials, and BFSU. I think a lot of science-loving kids also greatly enjoy logic. Alternating science with logic (Critical Thinking Co, Prufrock, brown paper books about science/logic, etc) can extend the time it takes to cover the scientific basics while improving scientific reasoning. Critical Thinking Co has some materials specific to science which look promising for honing scientific reasoning skills.

Ooooooh. Thanks.

Funny that you mentioned that book :) I am planning on using that one as well as the Sciencewise books for part of our physics study this coming school year.

I think every science-mad kid on the planet should use BFSU so I'll throw that out there :D.
I will second that. :D

My son has been reading adult level science books since was six. He is very good at math, but not interested in it.

I haven't really found it that difficult to study science around his math abilities/interests.

For science, we have used:

Apologia (astronomy and flying creatures - I think these are good because they introduce advanced science vocabulary)

BFSU

We also have:

Dissected (HomeScience Tools has several great kits)

Nature studies

Gardened

Supplied DS with 'adult' supplies: stereo microscope, binoculars, telescope

And we are currently using Elemental Science - chemistry and physics - on alternating weeks.

I just try to keep his mind engaged and fed with lots of science books, DVDs (adult level) and field trips. I also plan one 'unit study' a year based on construction/engineering as that is one of his main interests.

I will second that. :D

We also have:

Dissected (HomeScience Tools has several great kits)

Nature studies

Gardened

Supplied DS with 'adult' supplies: stereo microscope, binoculars, telescope

Oh, we do all of these as well. I always forget since that's just life here, not science class :lol:

Oh, we do all of these as well. I always forget since that's just life here, not science class :lol:
I know. DH and I are both deeply interested in science and started DS down the science path before he was walking. (I just ran across some photos the other day of him 'popagatin' - propagating - plants for me when he was barely two.)

I wanted to expand on field trips, because I think it is important to look beyond the regular science museum for science field trip ideas.

I am always amazed at how interrelated life is, especially when we go on field trips and I go to record it after -- was that science, art, history?

Examples:

My son can make a trip to a historical museum into a science lesson with his connections. How have engines changed over time? How and why does a butter churn work?

We recently viewed an amazing exhibit at an art gallery on botanical prints from the 1700s and 1800s. Another local gallery currently has an architecture exhibit we hope to see.

I just try to keep his mind engaged and fed with lots of science books, DVDs (adult level) and field trips. I also plan one 'unit study' a year based on construction/engineering as that is one of his main interests.

I've found this to be true about adult DVDs as well. I thought the info would go right over his head, but ds shocked me by retaining a lot and asking additional questions as well as making predictions. I guess I underestimated the level of content that kids can handle.