Menu

looking for cute nature videos

atozmom

My ds LOVES animals. I am looking for some cute nature videos for him. Here's the catch...I want some that do not involve one animal killing/eating another. I just want him to be able to sit back and enjoy the animals without getting upset that another is dying. Yes, I know it's nature, and he understands that is the way it is supposed to be. We have talked about it and he tells me "I know mom, but I still don't like it." :) So any ideas out there for cute animal videos my ds would enjoy? TIA!

One of my favorite nature videos is the Baby Doolittle animal one -- I forgot what it is called. I no longer have babies, but I would sit down in a heart beat and watch it again. I will never throw it out. I remember the first time I put it on in desperation when I had a toddler and a baby, and I was on the verge of tears. I sat down on the couch with my baby, while my toddler sat on the floor, and all of us were instantly enchanted. It totally lifted MY mood. The beautiful animals, complemented by the classical music, was a sure fix for a day gone awry.

My children have enjoyed National Geographic's Really Wild Animals. It was a TV series, but now they are on on DVD. Dudley Moore is the voice of "Spin, the Globe". It's been around a long time...my 20 yr old watched them over and over while growing up and now my 8 and 5 yo enjoy them too. They are still fun to watch and child friendly.

My son's favorite of the bird one was the meat eating birds. He wanted more bone crunching! Yikes.

The ones about the polar region and penguins are neat and not gory. The one about polar bears includes hunting. I think these are on another series, not the bird one. Planet Earth? My kids really liked the cave one too, esp the lizard or whatever with no eyes!

Our newspaper here in Seattle just picked up a video from a principal in the area who is a diver and happened to catch video of a Pacific Octopus tending her eggs in an underwater cave off West Seattle over the course of 4 months.

You can find the video here for now: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/fieldnotes/2015374366_video_eight-armed_moms_give_their_all_in_puget_sound.html

(If you are reading this at a much later date, hopefully you could find the link to the video by Google-ing giant Pacific Octopus hatch 2010)

The article given in reference to this video is chock full of info for parents to read & condense for little ones (both the parent octopi die--dads after they mate; moms after the babies hatch.) The video itself will show the mother in the cave, the thousands of eggs hanging in the cave, and you'll see the mother tending the eggs by blowing fresh oxygenated water across the eggs with her syphon. There are some up close gandering at the suckers under the mom's arms too as she moves around. Then you'll see the small little hatchings grow and grow in numbers. There are some amazing still shots too!

Please watch the video first without the little ones and decide what you are comfortable with...at the end of the video there is a snippet where the team of divers toast to the new little octopi with a cute birthday song and clinking of beer bottles all round. Just incase there are families that has sensitivities to alcohol, i just wanted to let you know. That scene can easily be avoided though because there isn't much at the end of the video other than copywrites etc.

Enjoy and happy hunting

Thank you everyone! You have given me a lot to look into tonight now that I have some time. Christian is definitely ok, and we don't really need "cute" but definitely not predatory. That was the word I should have used this morning, but with only a few hours sleep, I was lucky I came out with anything coherent. :lol: