Menu

How to get a job...?

So I am trying to get a job. At this point in my life I really need one, I can do a lot of things but I am also shy. I don't just go up to people and talk to them, if I ever went back to school, I would be shy. It can take me a little while to make friends, but once I have them we are friends for a LONG time!

But back to getting a job, I am going to put out flyers out saying I am available full time to babysit, and I am also going to be applying at Walgreens, DD, Rite Aid, The Family Dollar, and Stop and Shop. I haven't done this yet, my dad is going to help me fill out the job applications, we just need to find the time. Is there anything else that I can be doing? I might have another job lined up as well, I just need to go and get it!:glare:

I wouldn't put out babysitting flyers. I'd go to my church or place of worship and publish something there, or, if not applicable, I'd join a sitting service.

Look at daily dog walking, too--sometimes you have to be 21, but other times businesses will hire high school kids for the summer.

Go for it! It is time for sure.

My dd 15 has gone around applying at local groceries and a few restaurants, I think she may have gotten a job busing tables, we find out this week.

I disliked that more than a few local stores have you fill out the application on line only. So we did that but then went in on the day the hiring manager was working and she introduced herself. It didn't help last year but she was only 14 then. Trying again. I really highly suggest, shy or not, that if you don't already have a good handshake, to practice one, look them in the eye, smile and convince them you are the one to hire. :) It really makes a difference.

Good luck!!!!! :grouphug:

Thank you for all the advice. I get shy and nervous around people because I don't like making a fool of myself if I do something wrong! I used to be really shy before but I have come out of my shell and have really liked getting to meet new people and having long lasting friendships.

I will be applying to a few restuarants as well to see if they will hire me, and I love walking dogs! I walk my own dog all the time so that could be a good job too.

I'd vote for waitressing. My sister started as a waitress in high school and worked her way up, so that she was offered a shift manager position when she was in college, and now she is an assistant manager (she's in her early 20's). It might not be her dream job for life, but she makes fairly good money.

I'd vote for waitressing. My sister started as a waitress in high school and worked her way up, so that she was offered a shift manager position when she was in college, and now she is an assistant manager (she's in her early 20's). It might not be her dream job for life, but she makes fairly good money.

Now I am really interested in waitressing, this will be a good way to help pay for college too!

Try waitressing..it will build your people and conversational skills. Maybe you have a diner, a pizza place or an ice cream stand close enough to apply to and work at?

Around here its almost impossible to get a waitressing/hostessing job unless you are over 18. I hostessed for 2 years in college and you pretty much had to be over 25 to waitress, but I was working at an upscale waterfront restaurant. I knew several friends who waitressed in college at mid-scale family restaurants, but nearly all had to have hostessing experience first. I'd try to hostess and work your way up, but just be aware that these are very popular jobs for college age people so there may be an age requirement. I had a lot of fun hostessing though!!

Thank you for all the advice. I get shy and nervous around people because I don't like making a fool of myself if I do something wrong! I used to be really shy before but I have come out of my shell and have really liked getting to meet new people and having long lasting friendships.

I will be applying to a few restuarants as well to see if they will hire me, and I love walking dogs! I walk my own dog all the time so that could be a good job too.

See if fetchpetcare is hiring, I dont know if they are in your area, but I know they are national.