Menu

What to do for ds6 during downtime in HS

nikkistone

Hi Wise Hive Minds

I'm new to HSing and have yet another question. What should I have my newly 6yo (who isn't reading strongly yet) work on while I'm working with his older brother?

He can work on penmanship for a little while. And I have a few workbooks, but with ds6 not reading very well, he'll need instructions and help. Should I just have him go play while I'm working with ds8? And then when he's reading better, he can do the workbooks?

I give my daughter breaks. She's not too fond of school yet (she just completed her K year) and she'll complain a lot without breaks. She usually goes in the backyard and plays or up to her room if the weather isn't nice. If she doesn't want to leave the table, she'll draw pictures or color.

I found a great idea in Sue Patrick's Workbox book (have yet to implement the workbox idea, though!). I bought four different posters, two of each one and had them laminated. The I cut out continents, coins, number etc., put welcro on the smaller pieces and on the poster I left whole, and my dd has to match them. Keeps her entertained, on her feet (we use an over-the-door poster hanger instead of a flip chart), and also either teaches or reinforces something educational. Since th posters at the school supply store are only $1.99, and the laminating there is pretty cheap as well, it's a qucik, simple, cheap way to give her breaks, yet keep her focused.

So she doesn't get out of the "rhythm" of school when she has breaks like that? That's my fear with my ds6.

That was my problem with my dd. She would take a break and go to the playroom, but it was difficult to get her back in "school" mode. Posters are working great. Other things we use are magnetic dress-up dolls, lacing (yes, she still likes them), coloring pages, or a simple craft. However, the posters are by far her favorite!

typing!

My dd7 can now type faster and more accurately than both her older sisters (and her dad.) She had lots of time to practice when she was five and six and couldn't read well enough to do much on her own. I have three different typing programs that she would switch between. She loved the opportunity to play on the computer. Now my ds6 is doing the same and his typing is coming along nicely. I wish I had started the older two girls on typing earlier. They don't have the time or desire to practice now and neither types above 30-40 wpm.

I found a great idea in Sue Patrick's Workbox book (have yet to implement the workbox idea, though!). I bought four different posters, two of each one and had them laminated. The I cut out continents, coins, number etc., put welcro on the smaller pieces and on the poster I left whole, and my dd has to match them. Keeps her entertained, on her feet (we use an over-the-door poster hanger instead of a flip chart), and also either teaches or reinforces something educational. Since th posters at the school supply store are only $1.99, and the laminating there is pretty cheap as well, it's a qucik, simple, cheap way to give her breaks, yet keep her focused.

brilliant idea!

typing!

My dd7 can now type faster and more accurately than both her older sisters (and her dad.) She had lots of time to practice when she was five and six and couldn't read well enough to do much on her own. I have three different typing programs that she would switch between. She loved the opportunity to play on the computer. Now my ds6 is doing the same and his typing is coming along nicely. I wish I had started the older two girls on typing earlier. They don't have the time or desire to practice now and neither types above 30-40 wpm.

also a brilliant idea!

thanks ladies! you've helped me overcome one of my fears!!! THANKS!

The whole first part of last year and the year before in K I let my student go play with her little sister. Breaks and wiggle time are good I figured. I usually brought her back at a 'breakish' time like read aloud, snack, etc. I also let her practice her piano, do puzzles or just draw. I also sent them out to play if possible.

You could subscribe to a few magazines and have ds look at those while he has down time. Even if he's not reading well, there is still a lot to be learned from looking at a good children's magazine like Ask or Your Big Backyard.

You could also have him listen to books on tape or do puzzle workbooks.

He could draw pictures to illustrate what you've been reading about.

He could play on Starfall or a math website.

Or, he could just play.

Before my ds8 was a good reader, he still had to look at books for 1/2 an hour during "reading time."

Tara

There are some good ideas here that I may try out next year.

With my twin 6yos we do a long-ish stretch of school work upon completion of breakfast (1-2 hours) and then they can play until lunch after which we try to finish up for the day (1/2 - 1 hour). Once they leave the table it is hard to get them back (and not grumpy) so waiting until the next eating time is much less stress. My hope is to slowly lengthen the time periods as the years pass.

Perhaps your schedule would accommodate some kind of similar "natural" return to the school day - and he might enjoy the extended break in the day.