Menu

Is this something typical from Canadian gas stations?

We were in Fredericton, NB yesterday and I bought $20 worth of gas (about 15 liters) with my bank card.

This transaction has just about drained my account. It is showing up currently as $154 and change.

The transaction is still processing, and could be "processing" for days. I can't dispute the charge until it posts. :glare:

Dh and I have agreed that from now on when we go to Canada we will fill up prior to leaving and pay only in cash if we need fuel while there.

People can put devices over the top of the regular card reader and they're able to get all your information.

Yes, this. My dh works in IT for a bank, and this is becoming a real problem. Although, I was thinking they were only putting it on ATMs, not gas pumps. Stands to reason, though, if they could do it on an ATM, it would work on a gas pump.

ETA: Okay, the article says that it can happen at a cash register, so that definitely makes sense that it could happen at a gas pump.

Edited by HollyBee

Yes, this. My dh works in IT for a bank, and this is becoming a real problem. Although, I was thinking they were only putting it on ATMs, not gas pumps. Stands to reason, though, if they could do it on an ATM, it would work on a gas pump.

ETA: Okay, the article says that it can happen at a cash register, so that definitely makes sense that it could happen at a gas pump.

I would say yes I've got a case of fraud on my hands. But the only ones benefiting from this transaction is the gas station. The transaction clearly has the name of the gas station. It isn't that I have additional unknown charges. This is $154+ at the Irving station.

We were in Fredericton, NB yesterday and I bought $20 worth of gas (about 15 liters) with my bank card.

This transaction has just about drained my account. It is showing up currently as $154 and change.

The transaction is still processing, and could be "processing" for days. I can't dispute the charge until it posts. :glare:

Dh and I have agreed that from now on when we go to Canada we will fill up prior to leaving and pay only in cash if we need fuel while there.

The amount is higher than what normally happens with holds in the U.S., but yes, this practice is somewhat common in both the U.S. and Canada. You likely haven't been charged the $154+, but rather it is a hold against the account. The actual amount will go through at some point, and the rest of the hold will be released.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/BetterBanking/HosedAtTheGasPumpByYourDebitCard.aspx

BTW, for those who are suggesting this is due to a "card skimmer" device, typically the card information is stolen and used at other locations, not where the information was lifted.

Is it possible that your bank puts a large hold on debit purchases at gas stations? Around here, the pumps say that sometimes banks do that- and $100 or more is not uncommon. They post it at the pump because they don't want customers mad at the gas station when it's the bank that is controlling the hold.

The number you posted sounds off for the above to be true...but I wanted to give you some hope. Once I had a charge from iTunes for something like $78 and in three days it went back to the real price of 99 cents. I was kind of freaked out but without doing anything, it worked itself out. Hope you have a similar outcome.

Where we live in New England, it is common practice for the gas station to put aside $100 in the bank account to make sure you have the money to pay for the gas because it is pay as you pump. It usually holds it for 3 days or so. If you don't have $100 on your card, it won't allow you to pump.

The amount is higher than what normally happens with holds in the U.S., but yes, this practice is somewhat common in both the U.S. and Canada. You likely haven't been charged the $154+, but rather it is a hold against the account. The actual amount will go through at some point, and the rest of the hold will be released.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/BetterBanking/HosedAtTheGasPumpByYourDebitCard.aspx

BTW, for those who are suggesting this is due to a "card skimmer" device, typically the card information is stolen and used at other locations, not where the information was lifted.

Our local Irving store holds $1 so that was why I was thinking it is a Canadian thing. Maybe it is just an international travel thing.

I picked the Irving station because it was familiar. Surprise!

For us when we use the DEBIT function on the card it will the gas station will "hold" $50-$100 until the transaction processes. I do not use the Debit function b/c of this reason. When we use the "credit" function it only checks for $1.00. When I slide my card in it will ask if I want to use debit or credit. I always hit credit and never put my pin in.

Not all gas stations work like that though. My husbands card information was stolen by using a card reader at the pump. Thankfully our bank was swift with getting it resolved and whoever the person was in Texas that was using are info only got away with $150 in charges [used for gas fill ups and convenience charges at whatever gas station they were at]

It's a gas pump thing, not a Canadian thing. Most places will place a hold, or pre-approval, or 75.00-100.00 on your debit card if you pay at the pump. So places you can negate this by going inside and paying at the cashier. It falls off after a few days, but can really mess up your travel plans if you're not careful.

Hotels can do the same thing.

FYI, it's probably within the fine print on your debit card handout, didn't you read all of that? :lol:

I buy gas with a debit card in Canada, but a credit card in the US, so I can't compare apples to apples. However, all of the gas stations I have used in Canada, when you swipe your debit card, a message comes up on the screen asking "Approve for $100?" If you accept, it will hold $100 on your card, to make sure you have the $$ before you fill up.

I always answer "No", and am given the option to choose the amount to be approved. I choose the amount I actually want to fill up with, say, $20 or $30. Then, when filling my tank, the nozzle automatically shuts off when I reach the amount I asked to be approved for.

This option may not be available at the station you used, but it's something to watch for.