Menu

LA for early advanced reader?

FLL can easily be done orally, and WWE 1 doesn't require a lot of writing (at most, 1 sentence per day). We went through a brief period of using GWG orally also, and that worked. If you want to start a spelling program, letter tiles can be used with any spelling program to cut down on writing.

FLL can easily be done orally, and WWE 1 doesn't require a lot of writing (at most, 1 sentence per day). We went through a brief period of using GWG orally also, and that worked. If you want to start a spelling program, letter tiles can be used with any spelling program to cut down on writing.

That's a great idea, thank you! My DS loves spelling, so I'll start researching those. Thank you!

Ditto what they said. :D For reading, we just read good books at or just above his reading level. FLL would be a great choice for the age of your child if you want to start grammar. It was too easy for my son in first grade, but he probably would have enjoyed it in K.

I like WWE for writing, but probably would hold off on it for a bit. It's meant for 6 year olds, and if your child is a typical boy in writing, it might be a good idea to wait until 6 or closer to 6 (whenever you do first grade might be fine).

Have you done phonics? A phonics-based spelling program could be used to cover the phonics he'll use in reading 4th+ grade words (multisyllables). For that age, AAS would be a great choice. SWR is another option (you could use the AAS tiles and mark the tiles instead of writing the words and marking them).

He did phonics last year at Montessori, and his teacher was confident that he knew them all, so I don't think he needs those. I know he was learning some phonograms, i can try to pick up where he left off. I'll check out all about spelling.

FYI, many traditional school phonics programs only cover the basics and neglect to teach some of the more advanced things. So I'd be leery of a preschool teacher claiming he's finished with phonics.

Do check out AAS, it's a fabulous program. :)

Here's what I'd use for a very young child that is reading well but not writing yet. Basically what people already mentioned.

• FLL
  • AAS

I might add in WWE a half year or year later. I'd also think of starting ETC 3-8 just to review all the phonics, although AAS would do that as well, but at a slower pace.

I've noticed there's quite a difference in reading when you move up to third grade reading. With my 7 year old she reads books that interest her while I throw in a few that are at her fifth grade treading level. We also love picture books and as one might guess there are many written at a third and fourth grade reading level.

Explode the Code is my choice for phonics, but be sure to read the desciptions when choosing the right level.

And just in my opinion, don't get caught up in buying all the extras for everything you want to do. Sometimes the teacher's guides are more for hand holding.

I didn't manage to use a comprehensive programme when my boys were small, because their reading was so far ahead of their writing. I chose writing programmes at their level and then reading books separately.

Best wishes

Laura

This is what we've been doing as well.

Call it K and do whatever fits your kid. One of mine did 2nd grade math and 1st grade LA for his "k" year, one did almost all 2nd grade work. One didn't get a real K year (did Waldorf), and then went into a combo of 1st and 2nd grade stuff....its really up to you, you know!!!

I agree that at least phonics based spelling (we are starting AAS here this fall) is important even with early readers. Some are also great visual spellers, but not all by any means...dd just turned 9 and although she spells better than her dyslexic brother, she reads at a high school level and spells at low grade level....so don't neglect it! (Just a word from one who's been there, done that, wouldn't recommend you do it too....)

erin