Menu

Simple Scrapbooking- Photos with Captions

I'm working on telling myself this is the best it's gonna get. No more guilt. I'm just not a scrapbooker. :)

Any tips for getting pics in albums?? :bigear:

Maybe just putting in albums, writing captions...do you have favorite albums to have them all look similar? Any tips at all?

THANKS!

Well, I recently tried Shutterfly for the first time. It was awesome, quick, and easy for me to put together a couple of albums for each of my dc of a recent vacation.

Now, they each have a printed, bound book w/ photos & captions. I love that the titles/writing won't fall off/fade/etc... & the year/location of the vacation is printed on the cover.

:hurray:

It's definitely way better than scrapbooking or even putting together rudimentary photo albums (neither of which I ever got around to doing)....

Start with current pics (or from the past year) or you'll spend hours agonizing over sorting them (which is no fun). Plus your kids will enjoy looking at current photos that they remember.

I use Creative Memories albums so that they are all similar. Yes, they are scrapbooks where you can journal, but you wouldn't have to. I still find them easy to use - just tape runner on the backs of photos and slap them in wherever they fit and write your caption under it directly on the page. The best thing about these albums is that they are very high quality and completely photo-safe, pages will last, etc. Be very careful about getting something cheap that isn't good for your photos.

Just pick an afternoon or evening and dedicate it to slapping some photos in. You'll be very proud of your progress and your family will love it!

Books at places like Snapfish, Shutterfly, Picaboo, etc are all nice, fairly quick and painless. Watch for sales to get the best deals. I keep a photo folder with all my absolute favorite pics so I can quickly upload them when I find a good deal. They're also easy to make multiple copies for yourself, grandparents, etc. I often give these as gifts at Christmas, Mother's Day, etc.

For myself, I use a simple scrapbooking software. It's very easy to just place pics on the page. I can add as much, or little, to them as I want. I can then upload the page to places like Snapfish to make a book, or I can have individual pages printed at places like ScrappingSimply.com.

For all my countless printed photos, I store them in photo safe photo boxes. I try to keep them in order by year but that doesn't always happen. Recently, I have made a real effort to print copies of my digital prints. I know many years from now my kids and grandkids will appreciate having them. I look for deals and print a bunch at once most of the time. Occasionally, like our son's graduation, I send my faves to Walmart to print so I know I'll have them.

Whatever you decide, just do it. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Just find a way to keep those photos safe and some-what organized so you'll have them to enjoy.

Oh, and I agree with the PP that said start with current photos. It's far less overwhelming. Then, as time allows, you can work backward. When I started I set a few goals. 1. Get all printed photos out of the envelopes and various boxes and into photo boxes 2. Get my favorite 2008 photos into a quick book (I used Shutterfly, I think). Those were pics from the year before I started. 3. Start today, it was early 2009, getting my favorites onto scrapbooking pages. (I chose digital scrapbooking, definitely the best choice for me. A friend does paper, but she keeps her pages very simple, pic, caption and sometimes a little embellishment.) This took me about 3 months to accomplish. :001_smile: I started in late 2010 making an effort to print more pics and add them to my photo boxes. That has been going fairly well too.

hth.

Shutterfly's photo books are AWESOME for this sort of thing. They already have templates....all you do is upload the pics, drop them where you want them, and add captions. Wait to order until they run a good special. I have quite a few 12x12 Shutterfly albums. They are really nice. I don't use the templates, but instead I make my own pages in Photoshop with digital scrapbooking supplies. And I upload my pages into a blank Shutterfly album and then design my own cover. Everyone loves them.

Another option is to try Becky Higgins Project Life - it's smiler to Shutterfly in that you just drop photos into the albums and write your caption (or not). I will be moving to those for our family books (I used to scrap it all, now not so much).

Another option is to try Becky Higgins Project Life - it's smiler to Shutterfly in that you just drop photos into the albums and write your caption (or not). I will be moving to those for our family books (I used to scrap it all, now not so much).

I was going to suggest this as well. They are basically 12x12in page protectors but with pockets for some 4x6 photos and some pockets for little journaling/caption cards next to them. It looks super easy. You just put a photo in and then take one of the journaling cards, write your caption and stick it in as well. http://www.beckyhiggins.com/products/

ALi Edwards is a scrapbooker and she uses this system. She has examples on her website: http://aliedwards.com/projects

I was going to suggest this as well. They are basically 12x12in page protectors but with pockets for some 4x6 photos and some pockets for little journaling/caption cards next to them. It looks super easy. You just put a photo in and then take one of the journaling cards, write your caption and stick it in as well. http://www.beckyhiggins.com/products/

ALi Edwards is a scrapbooker and she uses this system. She has examples on her website: http://aliedwards.com/projects

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: Absolutely love project life... it has freed me from guilt. 2 of my friends and i all use it and adore it.

I second her product! I love holding the pictures in my hands and am not a big fan of digital scrapbooking. Her system is so simple and easy to use. I'm totally caught up on this year and spend only about an hour a month on it!