Menu

Easy music games for small group, ages 5 to 8? Please??

I was actually thinking more along the lines of games that teach about music, like rhythm, learning notes, the very basics. Just not having much luck with google! I keep coming up with learning games to play ONLINE, which isn't going to work.

We did make some cute rain sticks today, so I might try to add a craft like that each week. The class is smaller than expected, so some activities just arent taking as long as planned.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of games that teach about music, like rhythm, learning notes, the very basics. Just not having much luck with google! I keep coming up with learning games to play ONLINE, which isn't going to work.

We did make some cute rain sticks today, so I might try to add a craft like that each week. The class is smaller than expected, so some activities just arent taking as long as planned.

I don't have time to google and search myself but look for "kodaly music games". Here is one site. http://musiced.about.com/od/lessonplans/p/kodalymethod.htm Hopefully that helps you. (Sorry to post without looking further to see if it would help but I'm getting ready for a trip tomorrow and just don't have the time.)

The Dalcroze, Orff, and Kodaly methods are all highly regarded by elementary music educators. If you look for resources or method books that include their methodology you should be set. Elementary music is not my specialty so that is all I can offer, hope that helps!

Some books that are under the "oldies but goodies" pile include books by Madeleine Carabo-Cone. According to wikipedia, "[t]his approach involves using props, costumes, and toys for children to learn basic musical concepts of staff, note duration, and the piano keyboard." In particular, the book The Playground As Music Teacher is very helpful and has games similar to what you want, spelled out for the non-music teacher. If you do not want to make some of the manipulatives that are suggested in this book, www.musicmotion.com has some of them (but they are pricy).

For instance, The Playground As Music Teacher suggests painting on a sidwalk a staff, and having the children stand on it and walk up it saying the names of the notes as they walk along the lines and spaces. If you do not want to take the time to do it (or if you are like me and are art-challenged), then you can buy a "Giant Vinyl Floor Staff." www.Musicmotion.com is pricy, but there may be cheaper places to buy one. There are also vinyl keyboards, which duplicate a piano keyboard large enough for a child to step on it to learn what all they keys are. You could also draw or paint a replica of a keyboard or the staff on a vinyl shower curtain. The blog shows you how to make a keyboard. I know also that www.young-musicians.com has a floor staff.

If you want a more recent source for music games, then the Suzuki educator Michiko Yurko has the book Music Mind Games and No H In Snake. She also sells pricy manipulative that go with this program, but they are not mandatory if you make the manipulatives yourself or get them from a cheaper source (your local sheet music store may have things too). The homeschool-oriented Keyboard Capers is so similar to Music Mind Games and is available from Rainbow Resource.